Newbie Question on Restoring Files

My father in law has a WD passport which he used to back up his hard drive.  That computer crashed and he has a new one.  I am trying to move data from the old to the new that is stored as “Backup Set 2011-09-15 125644”.  When I go to the WD Smartware program it only shows that I have files to backup and none to restore.  I don’t know where to start.  The backup files are on the portable drive Backup Files 1, 2, 3, 4 in a zip file.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  Thanks.

Try show hidden files and see if that shows anything.

Joe

1 Like

Thanks, that didn’t turn up anything new.  I guess the question is, how do I restore the files on the drives to a new computer.  That is probably mixing up terms, but I want the documents, pictures, music, etc, that he backed up on the portable drive from the old computer to transfer to the new one. 

If he used Smartware or other backup software it will need to be installed on the new computer. Sometimes with Smartware you need to run a backup from the new PC  check this thread  

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-for-PC/data-restore/m-p/161586/highlight/true#M5703 

Joe

1 Like

Thanks.  I followed the advice on the other thread.  It backed up successfully.  However, when I go to RETRIEVE there are no files listed to retrieve.

Good news.  I did another backup and the files appeared in the retrieve section.  Thanks for the help.