Newbie question -- My Book Duo

Apologies in advance for asking what its probably a really dumb question, but I’m stumped.

I am thinking of getting a WD My Book Duo. What I want to do is offload all my photos, which are quickly consuming a lot of my desktop computer’s hard drive, onto one of the Duo’s drives (set up in Raid 1 configuration) so that it mirrors those photos in the second of the two RAID drives. But I do NOT want to simply create a backup of the photos on my computer. I want to MOVE all the existing photos onto the Duo. And then, as I create new ones on my image processing software, I want to store those new ones there too (and not on the computer). From time to time, I will also want to modify or delete photos stored on the RAID drives, directly from my computer. So the Duo will not be backing up data on my computer at all, because none of the photos will be stored there.

The descriptions of the Duo’s features that I’ve read talk about using it to back up data that is already on a computer. But I haven’t seen mention of its use as, in effect, a storage space for data that does not exist at all on the desktop. Maybe this is so elementary that WD assumes everyone knows that you can do it. Is that true?

Hello sircarlphil,

If you use RAID 1 on your my book duo, the total capacity is divided in half. Half of the capacity is used to store your data and half is used for a duplicate copy. If one drive goes down your data is protected because it’s duplicated.

Also, from time to time you can also delete the photos from the RAID drives when the my book duo device is connected to your computer and My book duo never automatically saves data on your computer.