Newbie question for Public Share Privileges - Anyone can delete files?

Hi

Got my WD 2TB MBL yesterday and am now getting very frustrated with it already.

Am I right in thinking that anything that resides in a Public Share cannot be protected from any user being able to delete things on the MBL from their mobile device ?

And the fact that in order to use the WD Photos app on a mobile device, then photos MUST be in the Public Shared Pictures folder ?

If this is true, it’s crazy. I think this is close to being sent back this weekend.

I did read something about changing permissions via Linux commands, but I wasn’t sure if that orked, and I’m not proficient in this area.

Can anyone enlighten me on this please. Thanks for your help

There’s three different things going on here.

First, your question about WD Photos:  Yes, all photos must be in Public/Shared Pictures.

But WD Photos can’t delete anything, so there’s no risk to your photos.

Second, about the Public share:

That’s correct.  Any user that has access to the drive has access to the Public share.

For that reason, I don’t put any data in the Public share.

Finally, yes, there are linux “tweaks” you can do to modify configurations & whatnot that address both of the above concerns.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

First, your question about WD Photos:  Yes, all photos must be in Public/Shared Pictures.

But WD Photos can’t delete anything, so there’s no risk to your photos.

Thanks for the reply, however, the WD Photos app CAN delete things. I logged in as a guest user on my phone outside of my home network, and was able to do this, and after selecting YES to the prompt, could confirm the photo had been removed from the drive

Oh.  Eek!   I guess that’s Android?   I can’t find that function on the iOS version;  I assumed the functionality to be similar.   I guess not!

Tony