Newbie: iTunes vs ShareSpace Question

Sorry if these are silly questions.

I am considering buy a ShareSpace but have a couple of up front questions that I haven’t been able to solve by downloading the manual.

With the “iTunes server” function, does this only work in the sense of serving a single iTunes library to iTunes clients on the various PC’s in your house, OR …

Can you configure iTunes and the ShareSpace so that the ShareSpace automatically downloads (syncs)  podcasts  that you subscribe to, say on a daily / weekly basis (i.e. without the need to startup iTunes  on a PC client).

Background: We enjoy some video/TV show podcasts that I want the kids to be able to access through our LG media station (it has a LAN connection facility) which is connected to the TV. The kids are too young to use iTunes.

Cheers & Thanks

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.  You might even call the WDStore to see if they can answer your product question.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

[deleted]

@cober, unfortunately no you cannot do what you are asking. The Sharespace has 2 media servers bundled with it Twonkymedia and Firefly (mt-daapd) 

Twonky uses UPnP and Firefly uses daap (iTunes), both will serve any content on your ShareSpace (although a recent *update* to the ShareSpace has included a version of Twonky that breaks iTunes playlist support). Neither will update any content ie podcasts etc. They will automatically (well at set scan intervals) add any new content you add to your device. Which you use depends on what device you are wanting to stream to, if you are just using pc’s and laptops then you would probably stick with Twonky and UPnP. 

Many thanks for the detailled response kwyjibo .

Appreciated !!!