Newbie help -organising folders and file transfer

Hi everyone,
Considering buying a wd live hub as it seems one of the better media players, before I buy one would like some advice and tips regarding folder structure and transferring files to the internal hdd.

Is it better to organise movies into genre folders and insert movie files into a folder with the movie title ?
For example:movies>comedy>The hangover>Thehangover.xvid

Also is it easy to add thumbnails to the movie so it’s displayed on the user interface?

Is it easy to transfer files from external hdd to the hub? Will the hub automatically save movies in folders or is it best to drag and drop manually ?

Thanks for any replies and advice.

Gonzo

Considering buying a wd live hub as it seems one of the better media players, before I buy one would like some >advice and tips regarding folder structure and transferring files to the internal hdd.

Is it better to organise movies into genre folders and insert movie files into a folder with the movie title ?
For example:movies>comedy>The hangover>Thehangover.xvid

That’s your choice, though individual folders would probably be better if you wanted to add thumbnails and .xml files. Another thing to consider is that the hub sorts sub-folders first in the list view, and individual files are listed second. I’m a mac guy, and that took some adjustment. I get it now.

Also is it easy to add thumbnails to the movie so it’s displayed on the user interface?

Yes, there are free apps out there to cover the things the hub can’t find metadata for on its’ own. They’ve expanded the capabilities of the hub in this regard recently.

Is it easy to transfer files from external hdd to the hub? Will the hub automatically save movies in folders or is it best to >drag and drop manually ?

It just appears as a drive on my network, and I use it as such. The hub can be set to watch a folder elsewhere and sync all new content to a folder on the internal drive, if desired. I’ve never used that feature myself.

Thanks for your reply, So storing as individual files better?would the hub show the title on the ui as The hangover or the full file name ie: Thehangover.xvid? Would like it to just display film title.

Does the hub sort files automatically when you update new files to the hdd?

Thanks
Gonzo

So storing as individual files better?

That’s a matter of personal preference.

Would like it to just display film title.

I think that would vary depending on what view format is chosen with the yellow button on the remote control.

Does the hub sort files automatically when you update new files to the hdd?

Yes, though now and again there is some lag in updating the media library.

Ok thanks for all your help!

Gonzo