Newbie...Backing up "My Documents" - Need simple, easy instructions, please?

I have Passport and am wanting to use it just to back up “My Documents”; including music and pictures.  There’s nothing on my “external”, as I wiped it clean, because it kept synching.  I am wanting to move my pictures to the external and not store them on my laptop.  Can I do this?  Since I add pictures all the time, will I have to delete all each time on the external and copy them over, but this doesn’t work so well for me, as I’m wanting to get the pictures off laptop?  I got scared with synch, because what I read said if I took them off my laptop’s drive, the next time it synched, it would then wipe them off my external.  I’m new at this stuff and so scared to loose my pictures and music.  Can you help, please?  I’ve tried reading posts on “backing up”, but they are very techy and I’m not.  Thanks ahead of time for your help. 

Hi there

WD Smartware will not allow you to backup a specific folder like My Documents, if you wanna do that I would recommend to copy the folder manually to the drive.

Something you can do with WD Smartware is to automatic backup a category of files, since you have a lot of pictures, you can tell Smartware to backup only the pics if you want.

1 Like

I think I’ve figured out how to manually save folders/data to the Passport, but I’m wondering if I remove that folder/data from my computer (to free up some space) will it still remain on my Passport?? 

Also, is there a way to manually delete data that was automatically backed up on the Passport…data that I don’t wish to save?

In short I want to use the Passport as an external memory to save my music and pictures and not have to save that data on my computer.  I want to save the pictures / music, but I don’t want it saved on my computer and taking up all kinds of memory.

Thanks so much for your help!

Do not trust any single drive as the only source to save important data. You need at least 2 copies to be safe. These forums are full of posts from peple who did what you intend then have a problem and loose everything.

Joe

Coasteee wrote:

I think I’ve figured out how to manually save folders/data to the Passport, but I’m wondering if I remove that folder/data from my computer (to free up some space) will it still remain on my Passport?? 

Also, is there a way to manually delete data that was automatically backed up on the Passport…data that I don’t wish to save?

In short I want to use the Passport as an external memory to save my music and pictures and not have to save that data on my computer.  I want to save the pictures / music, but I don’t want it saved on my computer and taking up all kinds of memory.

Thanks so much for your help!

where you using smartware to back up your data?  if so, then you will need to delete the wdstor folder on the passport to get rid of that data.  then you can use copy and paste to put back all the  files and folder on to your passport. 

but like Joe_S says, you never want to leave your data on just one drive.  get another cheap external drive to just dump files onto as well.  the more drives the merrier you will be.  because they will all fail sooner or latter. 

Smartware isn’t the easiest backup to use. Just remember to have more than one copy of your data

Joe