New WDTV user with audio problem

Hi,

Purchased my WDTV HD box yesterday and was working 100% fine, however I then updated my firmware and now I get a constant buzz from my left speaker which is running through the audio output in the rear which also doesnt produce any sound, the right speaker is fine. I know there isnt a problem with my amp/speakers/cable as I have tried my ipod in exactly the same cable with no problem, plus it worked fine with my WDTV box before the firmware upgrade!

Also just to note that the sound carried over the HDMI cable to my TV is still fine.

I can’t really see any options in the audio menu to play around with so can only assume its a firmware issue of some kind, has anyone else come across this or know of a work around?

Kind regards!

Dan

You’re talking about the RED and WHITE audio outputs?

I’ve never heard of any firmware issues that would cause that.

Try rolling back the firmware to the previous working version and see if the problem disappears.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800/

If not, it sounds like it might be bad hardware.

This is using the 3.5mm jack from the back to a red/white connection to my amp yes. Its a strange problem but I know for a fact it worked fine before I upgraded the firmware, as the device rebooted the upgrade the speaker started buzzing by itself and hasnt stopped since.

Try unplugging the jack, and then fully seating it again.

and you’re using the provided cable, or your own?

Im using my own cable that worked fine with the unit prior to the latest firmware update and still works fine with my ipod. Im gunna downgrade a version later but im unsure which version I was running when it arrived which I knew worked, 1.2.21 I think rings a bell.

c0dec wrote:

Im using my own cable that worked fine with the unit prior to the latest firmware update and still works fine with my ipod.

Regardless of if it works with the ipod… try the supplied cable (fully seated), to rule out the possibility of a cabling problem.

The ipod cable is only 2-channel… it could very easily be contacting the third terminal as well, and the composite signal being the source of the “buzz”.  So, try the supplied cable, and just ignore the yellow composite RCA plug.

1 Like

Oh god, well I tried the cable that came with the unit and all is well!! Im very happy but highly confused how I didn’t have this problem with the outta the box firmware!

Thanks for your help!