New WDTV Live SMP user, have a few questions

Well I purchased this device after giving up on using either my 360 or PS3 as my main media player for media that I have stored locally & play across applications such as Netflix. So far I love this device, easy to use interface that looks pretty nice and best of all it is able to play back my mkv files with the full DTS MA or Dolby TrueHD audio streams. Something that the 360 couldn’t handle and I couldn’t handle the PS3’s butt ugly interface for media playback. That being said I do have a few questions that I’m not sure I’ve found the correct answers to or not. So hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction or give me the answers:

1. I’ve turned on the option to automatically fetch the metadata for my movie files, tv files, etc. within the SMP unit. However I’m not seeing any cover art, etc. show up for my movies. I’m guessing that this is because I have my movies on a network share. When I logged into the network share to add it to my videos I gave it the username & password of a user that has the ability to write & modify files in the folder. I thought this would allow it to write the metadata to the folder. It would seem either the WDTV can’t or it doesn’t know how. Do I have to generate the metadata for these files & then put it in the folder manually?

2. How do I go about (if possible) using the themes that are available for the WDTV Live Hub on my SMP? If I access the SMP web UI it looks for just one themefile which most of these themes don’t seem to have. Is there some way to convert these themes or if I use a spare laptop drive I have in an USB enclosure would it be possible to put the these themes on that drive and have the WDTV use them? If I come up with any more quesitons I’ll post them but as I get more familiar with this unit I look forward to helping other folks out with it.

1. How do I go about (if possible) using the themes that are available for the WDTV Live Hub on my SMP? If I access the SMP web UI it looks for just one themefile which most of these themes don’t seem to have. Is there some way to convert these themes or if I use a spare laptop drive I have in an USB enclosure would it be possible to put the these themes on that drive and have the WDTV use them? If I come up with any more quesitons I’ll post them but as I get more familiar with this unit I look forward to helping other folks out with it.

Check out this link for all the info you want on the Mojo Theme:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Mojo-for-the-SMP-Updated-6-26-12/m-p/287022#M840

You download the zip file from the link provided then ‘upload’ it from your PC to your SMP.  You do this via a small program called WD Link.  Once you run WD Link and ‘discover’ your SMP, click on “Configure” and upload the Mojo.zip file.

Then go to your WDTV Setup and select the new theme via “Appearance”.

1 Like

Thanks for the help. I thought for a moment after reading your post and figured that perhaps I could upload the zipfile to the SMP via the web UI. I was correct & incorrect at the same time. It turns out that there’s a size limitation on the upload that the device will accept so the theme made specifically for the SMP was needed. Thanks for the link. As a follow up to question one I found out that it did indeed have something to do with the SMP not writing the XML data to my network share. Once I ran the WDTVHubGen program posted in the Hub forums it generated XML data for each movie which the SMP correclty read the data and presented the information. I’ll have to redo it in order for it to work correctly for the Mojo theme but that’s no huge deal. Thanks again.

Also, just so that you know, it’s not just a file size limit.  The zip file has to be in a specific structure for the SMP (which is different than HUB’s theme file structure), so you have to use the theme zips that are specific made for the SMP, or re-zip the themes found in the HUB’s theme forum to work on the SMP.

You also need to use Thumbgen for Mojo (and most of the rest of the themes found in the forum), to generate the thumbs, metadata xmls and moviesheets, since these themes are designed around using Thumbgen.