New WD1002FAEX stops computer from booting

So I just purchased the 1TB, 6.0GB/s Caviar Black as a second hard drive in my computer. My MoBo is only SATA II, so I knew I would have to limit the hard drive down to that via a jumper. The drive didn’t come with a jumper so I need to find one, but this is the issue I’m having:

I shutdown the computer, then plug in the new hard drive as a secondary drive. I turn on the computer, but it won’t boot. The power supply is definitely running along with all the fans and lights inside, but the computer wont post. I can’t get into BIOS either. After I shutdown the computer again and unplug the new hard drive, the computer boots up fine.

Now this is where it gets weird. I decided to turn the computer on, then plug the SATA cable into the hard drive (thus connecting the hard drive to the computer). Nothing happened, and the computer continued to run fine. I then did a computer restart and this time I could at least get into BIOS, which was seeing the new drive. I exit BIOS and continue the boot up procedure, but then it won’t finish the boot up sequence and the screen stays black.

Realize that all this was done with no jumper in the hard drive. Does this issue seem consistent with not having the jumper in there to limit it to SATA II? I spoke with a friend who said that without limiting it, the computer should still boot up, but it just won’t recognize the hard drive. Does this mean that there is some either issue involved with this hard drive?

I’m trying to track down a jumper to see if that fixes the problem, but are there other things I can be trying to get this thing to at least let the computer boot?

Edit: Also, I am running Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit and my MoBo is the Intel D975XBX2.

I just wanted to post a follow up on my issue. Last night I went to radio shack and got a pack of “DIP Programming Shunts,” which is their official name for jumpers. It fit on the hard drive fine and the computer was able to boot! So just keep in mind that a SATA III to SATA II connection can cause boot issues if the hard drive is not correctly throttled down to a SATA II. Lesson learned!