New WD TV user

Hello all,

Just today got my first WD TV Live streaming box, was using Tivos and WiiMC before hand but time to move on to a better system…I got the WD TV all updated, connected and playing videos but I have a few questions:

• Is there a good FAQ/Wiki for learning all the features?

• Are Hub themes usable on the Streaming box?

• Is it better to use a SMB share or an UPnP AV server?  (I have a D-Link DNS-323 wired in but the WD TV is using wireless at the moment and I’m only using standard-def. videos. (I know HD will require wired connection.))

• Is there a good thread to read up on getting thumbnails or sheets going? 

Thanks for your time and I appreciate any advice I can get!

• Is there a good FAQ/Wiki for learning all the features?
    I found the WDTV manual good enough to get started with

• Are Hub themes usable on the Streaming box?

I’ve tried both Mojo and Black mamba and both work fine. Probably best to ask in the relevant area of the Hub Theme discussion area to be sure.

• Is it better to use a SMB share or an UPnP AV server?  (I have a D-Link DNS-323 wired in but the WD TV is using wireless at the moment and I’m only using standard-def. videos. (I know HD will require wired connection.))

I’ve tried both (e.g. Mezzmo) and I prefer an SMB share for movies, but I do use Logitech media server for music. using an SMB share means that you can get the full benefit of moviesheets and any theme you may install.

• Is there a good thread to read up on getting thumbnails or sheets going?

The theme designers usually provide detailed config guides (at least Mojo and Black Mamba do). Note that it is imperative that you follow any such instructions to the ‘T’ to ensure that the theme and sheets work. Also the setup for one theme will be different to the setup of another, so if you do swap themes don’t presume that you know how to prepare for Theme #2. Thumbgen is the preferred thumbnail and moviesheet generator.

1 Like