New wd tv live when?

swamprat96 wrote:

There’s a “new” model for australia which has a 1TB drive. I don’t need it becasue this unit streams perfectly.

*New Model with a 1TB drive*  are you refering to the WDTV Live Hub ?

If so, it aint “New” … i bought mine from JB Hi-Fi (Australia,QLD) about 3 years ago 

Ah ok. I was told by the lying sack of a salesman that it was

dcb917 wrote:

I am very interested in what you did to speed up the " underpowered painfuly slow UI experence" that so many on this board routinely acknowledge.

Simple, I don’t use services.

So after ALL THESE POST do we have any conclusion if wd release a newer wdtv product or not?

What did Joey Smith tell you in post 2 of this thread?

Good grief, there will not be a new WDTV until WD announces it.  Duh.  When they announce it on their website, at trade shows, etc , we ALL will know about it.  And, anyone who DOES know about one coming is sworn to secrecy not to divulge anything.  Nobody wants to get fired, ya know.

And to those enamoured with Plex.  I am sure it is cool and works fine, (Pearl did a good summary of it) and he knows to use the best tool for the job, and Plex is not the end-all way to do it in many cases.

I am a technical consumer with a tech background, but ya know what?  When I sit down to watch a video (in any of its formats) I want EASY, and sending video from a PC is cumbersome and not “easy” – not like turning on the gadget from the couch, grabbing a remote, selecting a video from a Roku or WDTV hard drive, clicking go, and sit back and enjoy.  I watch videos on the TV from discs, ISO files and MKV files, and Plex cannot handle all those formats – the WDTV can.  Easy.

I boughtt a WDTV years ago, not because of it’s streaming assets from internet, (Roku does this better) but because it could do things the Roku could not do.  So, I have a Roku for streaming internet media and a WDTV for streaming MY media.  Right tool for the right job.

One last concept to add to the discussion here – MOST people are not techies, they want something that does the job and works, but even some of them are totally turned off by gadgets – even something as simple as a Roku.  Like Pearl’s parents above, when we gave some relatives a Roku for a gift, it sat there for a year unboxed, unused, until they asked us if we would want it back.  (Yea, sure!).  They were that intimidated by it.  Their loss; our gain (a spare and new Roku.)

1 Like

mike27oct wrote:

Good grief, there will not be a new WDTV until WD announces it.  Duh.

MOST people are not techies, they want something that does the job and works,

[deleted - keep it civil]

The second statement I quoted is EXACTLY the reason WD is an undecipherable sliver in the market share pie chart for this segment.  You can talk smack all you want about how they are technically different, and therefore a different market segment, but that is just nonsense.  Functionally they are a streamer.  Show me any link that says this device is a major player in ANY segment that was written in the last year.

Having said all that, IMHO, I don’t think there will be another WD streaming device announced.   They have been trounced by the competition and this isn’t their core competency.   

I hope I am wrong as the more competition the better, but I think they are going to stick to what they know, HDDs.

dcb917 wrote:

You can talk smack all you want about how they are technically different, and therefore a different market segment, but that is just nonsense.  Functionally they are a streamer.

And yet while you consider the distinction that Mike notes to be “nonsense,” that distinction is precisely why I own a WD and not a Roku.  Just because the two functions are muddled together in your mind does not make their equivalence a fact.  It is not.  Any “multimedia player” that requires lossy transcoding of A/V to be able to play most formats is a complete joke to me.  Not remotely close to a substitute for a box that can natively play any of a vast variety of codecs.  I guess it would be perfect, though, for those people who think 128kbps MP3s sound like actual instruments do–i.e., people who know nothing or care nothing about having high quality A/V.

Oh, yeah, and here is a great response I saw on the Roku forums to somebody complaining about audio problems:

“Get rid of the 5.1 audio and you are set. Or go buy a WD TV Live and stop worrying about it.”

dcb917 wrote:
You know nothing more than anyone else on this forum so belittling others for asking for opinions about what the future holds is moronic.

Actually, what’s moronic is asking the same question over and over again expecting different results, on a user-to-user forum no less.

1 Like

Techflaws, you took the words right out of my mouth!  I’m glad someone indicates he got the point of my comment.  The question has been answered many times here, and elsewhere, and the answer is always the same:  nobody knows!

Nevertheless, I can postulate and say, if there is no word on a new one by this 4th quarter, I’m gonna assume the answer is likely “never”.

ncarver:   I appreciate your input here, too.  Just to put some of this in perspective, when I bought the WDTV, my Roku couldn’t do squat with video files and such.  It wasn’t until they hacked together their USB Player channel that is could even make a feeble attempt at it.  Totally kludgy in doing so, too.  Not picking on my Roku; it’s only trying to do something it was not designed to do.  Still a great little streamer, though.

mike27oct wrote:> when I bought the WDTV, my Roku couldn’t do squat with video files and such.  It wasn’t until they hacked together their USB Player channel that is could even make a feeble attempt at it.  Totally kludgy in doing so, too.  Not picking on my Roku; it’s only trying to do something it was not designed to do.  Still a great little streamer, though.

Hello.  Unlike WD, Roku is releasing new products all the time.  Comparing some  older Roku product that you bought in the past as a way of rationalizing your position is again…[Deleted].  What was going on when you bought the WD is not the same as what is going on now. 

If you can’t speak to current technology i.e.  a Roku 3 with Plex on the PC hosting your shares,  then you your opinion is [Deleted].  Well maybe not [Deleted], I guess it would be helpful if someone just could not stand for current technology and just had have to something  that was old.

@dcb917,

Hmmm, I see you crawled out from under your rock again to insult folks again.  Go back there, you are just a [Deleted] and your attitude needs some improvement.

I think using Plex and my computer to feed media to my TV is a backward step of technology.   To each his own, and for crying out loud, be nice, you troll.  People like you take the fun out of forums.

dcb917 wrote:
If you can’t speak to current technology i.e.  a Roku 3 with Plex on the PC hosting your shares,  then you your opinion is outdated and meaningless.

Says the guy who needs to employ a Plex server to be able to watch his file. Funny.

The issue with plex is that you need to leave a PC up and running to act as server. I don’t keep a desktop pc up and running 24/7 these days, I just use a laptop. Connecting a USB drive is really a great feature of the wd tv live. 

I believe you are of topic.
The topic title says new wd tv live when not all about plex

I believe we have determined the fate of any new WDTV and resolved it (it will happen when WD is good and ready, and it appears they are not telling) so that topic is finished and folks here have moved on and discussing related stuff.  Chill.

mike27oct wrote:

I believe we have determined the fate of any new WDTV and resolved it (it will happen when WD is good and ready, and it appears they are not telling) so that topic is finished and folks here have moved on and discussing related stuff.  Chill.

No not really, that would be your opinion again, but thanks for telling us the topic is finished.

The problem with your “it will happen when WD is good and ready” is that it implies an unfounded presumption on your part that it will actually happen at some point in the future. 

The whole point that you seem to have missed is that it may NEVER HAPPEN.   That was what the OP asked.

I fail to see how your opinion that it MAY never happen is any more relevant (or founded for that matter).

The whole point that you seem to have missed is that it may NEVER HAPPEN.   That was what the OP asked.

Look, dude, I didn’t miss a thing, and any reasonable person who read what I posted understands that I inferred it may or may not happen.

What you seem to miss is why I said you are a PITA, because you want to argue for the sake of arguing, and not for any insight you can bring to a conversation.  To people like you I can only suggest you find a stop sign on a nearby street corner and go argue with THAT!

RugerRedhawk wrote:

The issue with plex is that you need to leave a PC up and running to act as server. I don’t keep a desktop pc up and running 24/7 these days, I just use a laptop. Connecting a USB drive is really a great feature of the wd tv live. 

The issue with WDTV is that you need to leave a device up and running to provide file shares.  Connecting a USB drive is really a great feature of the Roku 3.