New WD TV live hub media center boot horrible

I purchased a brand new wd tv live hub media center at Amazon.

Connected to my network and transfer 800GB of mkv files with jpg covers.

Turned off the unit, connected via HDMI to my TV. Turn on the unit. wait wait wait…

I only see the WD logo blinking in the screen and front of the unit? is this normal?

Do I need to wait for library creation or someting?

How much time do I normally need to boot? I have experience with ASUS media player (this units boots in 5 seconds).

I’m about to RMA the device and never ever purchase a WD product again (in the last 3 months I lost one 1TB NAS from WD, 3TB usb3 mybook drive and now this wd tv live hub media center) :(:cry:

Well you need to read the forums a bit tbh. The hub uses metathumbs and if you have the scraper set to auto it will be trying to get covers and info for all these files, once its all setup it will be fine.

But 2 comments complaining is hardly going to have anyone rushing to give you info, this is not WD watching these threads its users, and when people say they will be RMaing a device in their second comment, people usually ignore, especially when you are asking info that is all over this forum via search. :slight_smile:

Don’t be giving us Cubanos and motocrossers a bad name in here. :wink:

If you just transferred all those movies the Hub will first have to do a media library scan and then retrieve the media info (as was said) for initial setup. After that, it will boot much faster, especially if you do not do a hard turn off (front mounted power switch) and just let it sleep.

Thanks to everyone for the response. So according to some of the messages, I need to wait X time for the unit to create some kind of database?

1-) How much this will take? (500 dvd movies in mkv (1-3GB each) and 200 bluray movies in mkv as well - 2 - 4GB each)

2-) What is the correct procedure to shutdown this device?

3-) When the database is being created, is normal to enter to the webpage admin and see no HDD at all in the menus?

Thanks very much for your response.

regards,

It shouldn’t take any more than 3-4 minutes to do a cold-boot.  

If you’re starting it from STANDBY, it will take about 5 seconds.

1.  There really isn’t one.  It’s intended to be left in STANDBY, not completely shut down.  But if you still need to shut it down completely, eject all USB devices first, then hold the power-button down for 3-4 seconds.

2.  No, that’s not normal.

I don’t have now an ethernet connection where I have my TV set and home theater, so in order to copy movies to the WD TV HUB MEdia center, I need to turned off, move the unit to where my pc/switch is located and transfer the files.

What is the proper procedure to turn off the device then?

I don’t know but I “feel” the unit is not responding well, when I connect the device into the network and turned ON, it takes about 5 minutes to show the HDD available in the network.

Once the hdd is available as a network share, if I delete a folder, the unit hangs. I believe the HDD is damaged or need some kind of reformat perhaps? How I can format the internal HDD?

cubanomx wrote:

I don’t know but I “feel” the unit is not responding well, when I connect the device into the network and turned ON, it takes about 5 minutes to show the HDD available in the network.

Once the hdd is available as a network share, if I delete a folder, the unit hangs. I believe the HDD is damaged or need some kind of reformat perhaps? How I can format the internal HDD?

That’s a Windows thing.   According to Microsoft, it can take 20 minute or more for new “Servers” to showup in the browse listing.  That’s just the way Samba / MS Browsing works.

I have no idea why it’d hang when deleting a folder, but, you can reformat the internal drive via the Setup menus.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

That’s a Windows thing.   According to Microsoft, it can take 20 minute or more for new “Servers” to showup in the browse listing.  That’s just the way Samba / MS Browsing works.

I have no idea why it’d hang when deleting a folder, but, you can reformat the internal drive via the Setup menus.

I don’t believe this is a Windows thing.  When I don’t see the drive in windows, I connect to the web interface of the device and I see no HDD available. When the WD TV Hub detect the internal HDD, the share works in windows.

Initially, when I unpack the device (4 days ago), I turned ON the device and the shortcut works after 30 seconds. All this issues appears when I copied the mkv files to the WD Hub.

I already review all options in the setup menus and don’t see the option to format the drive?. Can you please let me know where is the format option?