New WD My Cloud 6TB; Slow File Transfers

This week, I bought a WD My Cloud 6TB device.

I installed it, and setup went well.  I also updated to the lastest firmware.

I have enabled SSH.

As noticed elsewhere in these forums, file transfer performance is lackluster at best.

On the box, gigabit speeds with “blazing fast file transfers” are promised.

With the same switch hardware, cables, ports, I can get 90+ MB/s (yes MB/s) between two computers using SCP via SSH.  With my My Cloud device doing the same, I get less than 9+ MB/s.  That’s not blazing fast by a long shot.

While I can do things that have been suggested such as stopping services or even upgrading SAMBA, I’m not interested in hacking on a device when it fails to deliver as promised on day one.

My question is whether this slow speed problem is only a problem with My Cloud?  Would things improve dramatically with My Cloud EX2?

It seems that slow transfer speed has been complained about  for the better part of a year, so it should have been fixed (if possible) by now.  Should I just choose a different vendor?

Hi,

As you saw, other user reported this situation through the community, most of then were able to find a solution for the transfer speeds.

Please see if the following links helps.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Gigabit-router-still-slow-transfer-speed/m-p/627073#M1966

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Slow-Transfer-to-3TB-MyCloud/m-p/812531#M23253

jiwils wrote:

This week, I bought a WD My Cloud 6TB device.

I installed it, and setup went well.  I also updated to the lastest firmware.

I have enabled SSH.

As noticed elsewhere in these forums, file transfer performance is lackluster at best.

On the box, gigabit speeds with “blazing fast file transfers” are promised.

With the same switch hardware, cables, ports, I can get 90+ MB/s (yes MB/s) between two computers using SCP via SSH.  With my My Cloud device doing the same, I get less than 9+ MB/s.  That’s not blazing fast by a long shot.

While I can do things that have been suggested such as stopping services or even upgrading SAMBA, I’m not interested in hacking on a device when it fails to deliver as promised on day one.

My question is whether this slow speed problem is only a problem with My Cloud?  Would things improve dramatically with My Cloud EX2?

It seems that slow transfer speed has been complained about  for the better part of a year, so it should have been fixed (if possible) by now.  Should I just choose a different vendor?

No need to hack.  What speeds do you get with NFS?  Best I can get with SMB is ~20MB/s

You may try killing two useless services:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Semi-advanced-Guide-to-getting-a-running-start-setting-up-My/td-p/836089

SSH to drive and use TOP.  See if any service is eating all the CPU.

1 Like

what FW version is it running?

how long has the device been up and running? what type of files?

you won’t get SCP performance with SMB but I get 60-80MBps with large files