New WD My Book Live Question

We have a small office that has six working computers.  3 of those computers are laptops and can leave with the crew to head out to jobsites. 

We were looking at a small server to run storage and automatic backup/syncing of files but while shopping around I found a My Book Live and it looked promising.

So my questions are-

Can I setup the My Book Live (MBL) on the USB storage port on my router?

Once I map the drive to all the computers in the office can they simply drop files into shared folders? (Like a standard USB drive)

With the three laptops can I configure the MBL to autosync “X” folders so that if a laptop is pulled to the field the files are duplicated on the MBL?

If those files are duplicated like I intend is accessing them as easy as clicking the shortcut icon and navigating to the folder?

I read how the MBL can lock up if more then 4 units are autosyncing, does each unit added (1 thru 4) slow down the sync/backup?  Or will up to 4 units sync without disturbing the client?

A server with the right sync program is probably the way to go but with such limited use the MBL might be good.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Can I setup the My Book Live (MBL) on the USB storage port on my router?
MBL does not have a USB port. It is a NAS device.

Once I map the drive to all the computers in the office can they simply drop files into shared folders? (Like a standard USB drive)
Yes

With the three laptops can I configure the MBL to autosync “X” folders so that if a laptop is pulled to the field the files are duplicated on the MBL?
MBL cannot do that, not sure if the client software that comes with it does that. But plenty of free solfware that can do that out there. You can even write you own scripts if you want to.

If those files are duplicated like I intend is accessing them as easy as clicking the shortcut icon and navigating to the folder?
Not sure what duplicate files have to do with shortcuts, but shortcuts are possible.

FYI… MBL is a Unix system underneath

sync and backup are different.  You can use the included backup software SmartWare if you want copies of each computer’s files (that you choose) to be backed up to the drive.

If you want to have one folder that is accessible by everyone, and that changes its contents as other folders on those computers change, you would create public share folders in the dashboard and use a third-party software to sync.  I think someone mentioned Timeline Genie or something like that earlier.