New WD Live TV Hub 2tb

Where oh where did you find a 2TB WD TV Live HUB for $65.00?  Per newegg it will release on march 19 at $249.00 – see this link …

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=wd+tv+live+hub+media+center

I did notice an SPDIF output (which the 1TB unit did not have).  Also, it claims to play any format in 1080P, which the older unit didn’t do too well.  Perhaps this points to a new processor inside, but I can’t find any detailed information as of 3/11/13.

Where did you get your specs?

The 1TB unit does have a SPDIF output, and the 2TB specs states “Play virtually any media file format in Full-HD 1080p”, not “any format”.  The Video and Audio formats (as listed on Newegg) are the same as for the 1TB.

? You havn´t noticed TOSLINK output on 1Tb Hub AND EVERY OTHER WD MEDIA PLAYER!

Even Play has one.

I am watching 1:1 BluRay Rips on my Hub without any problem.

maxcat wrote:

Tony the 3 year old thread is the evidence of what I’ve said here; this issue of instablity with MKV files goes back years.

No, it doesn’t.   The only cogent info in that post was the (old) issue with Header Compression, which was indeed an issue, but was fixed years ago.

99% of the media I normally watch is MKV, and I’ve never had the circle-of-death even one time in the years I’ve owned my Hub.

The primary issue with the circle of death is that people are playing unsupported or poorly coded media.   In the majority of cases (at least where people do follow up), that is “proven.”    

Yeah, the WD could do a better job recovering from a bad condition like that, but if people would stop feeding the WD crapppy unsupported or improperly coded files, then the problem would all but vanish.

maxcat wrote:

Read the recent ‘WD Live Hub - General Understanding and some frustrations’  thread here to see the frustration this has caused for other Hub users.

You need to get better at referring to other posts – that thread consists of you and one other user.   You can’t use yourself as proof of some phantom consipiracy.

My BD rips play fine too…

Hopefully this new unit will qualify as an Ultraviolet device, capable of playing CFF files when they are available…

On Newegg’s site I did not see Dolby TrueHD as one of the audio formats, still no DTS-HD Master Audio…

1 Like

" TonyPh12345 wrote:

The primary issue with the circle of death is that people are playing unsupported or poorly coded media.   In the majority of cases (at least where people do follow up), that is “proven.”    

Yeah, the WD could do a better job recovering from a bad condition like that, but if people would stop feeding the WD crapppy unsupported or improperly coded files, then the problem would all but vanish."

You seem to have a good grasp of the circle of death issue. I have recently been afflicted with this issue severely and it does not appear to be linked to improperly coded files at least in my case. The addition of an extra external hard drive, both directly to the HUB via USB and through ethernet via router, has caused this isse. If you have any suggestions to help me alleviate this issue, I would be much appreciated. Thank you.

1 Like

pltan75 wrote:

I have recently been afflicted with this issue severely and it does not appear to be linked to improperly coded files at least in my case.

How do you know that they are not improperly encoded?  What are you compairing it too?

Just because a file will play on a PC, does not mean that they are not improperly encoded.

@ pltan75

I have Tbs of Mkvs/.m2ts/.ts files on 2 connected Hard drives, the Hubs internal and 3 Hard drives on a PC connected via Hard wire. No issues at all.

But you say its the Hard drive and Ethernet thats the issue now ?

So if you play the same Mkv from the internal hard drive its ok ?

Would appreciate it if you looked at this thread, notably from page 2 onwards and notice a number of us seem to only have the arrow issue when connected to various forms of networked storage.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-General/Stuck-with-waiting-arrow-when-trying-to-play-files/td-p/442862/page/2

1 Like

Wow. What happened to my thread? Wanted to just talk about the new 2TB model. Didn’t know it was going to become a soap box :wink:

1 Like

Getting back to the theme of this thread (the new WDTV Live Hub 2TB media player) …

It has been a lot of years since the 1TB device (perhaps someone has counted and can advise us), so I personally think WD wouldn’t bring the same old processor chip into this new model.  So, trusting that it is greatly improved, I’ve pre-ordered one.  I will comment here after it arrives and I know more.

Has anyone found any tech data (I mean real solid data about the chip inside, not just their sales data on newegg)?

Something has to be different with the hardware. I found some more detail on bh photo’s website:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/918057-REG/Western_Digital_WDBABZ0020BBK_NESN_TV_Live_Hub_Media.html/

Their description says “1x USB 2.0”. The current hub has 2 USB ports. (One in the front and one in the back). So either this isn’t correct or something is changing with the hardware.

It also shows all the pictures for the 1Tb Hub, so I would not get that excited about it.

As I posted at the beginning of this thread, the basic model number has not changed therefore its likely to be the same technically as the standard hub but with just a different size disk.

I dont get it

a 2TB WD 2.5 Green HDD cost 180$

and a

Western Digital TV Live Hub Media Player (2TB) is 249$

To mod my 2 hubs to 2TB it would cost me 180$ per hub (if I can do it)

Now

This means the new 2Tb hub with out the 2TB HDD is only 69$

If math was the only thing sales people used then I guess that might make sense, but you still can’t buy the 2TB version in any flavor except 2TB or 500 Gig and both are much more then $69.  Somehow it just doesn’t make any sense to issue an old hardware platform (the Sigma chips have come a long way since the original hub was built).

Time will tell, already ordered one so I can take it apart and be sure which chip is really inside it.

Surely WD hasn’t missed the fact that the rest of the companies selling media players are already updating their chipsets?  And, Samsung is making a major push by linking their new S4 cell phone into their “hub” device with “HomeSync” media players running Android Jellybean.  SURELY ?? WD ISN’T MISSING THIS??

this is what I would expect

new hdd sizes

2TB or 500GB

processor to match the one currently in SMP

so to recap

there will be no noticable differences besides hdd size

I think ya’ll are insane if you expect anything different other than the HD – and that’s all.  ;)