New to WDTV Live. Couple questions

blanker wrote:

I really do not want to go to mkv or use another program to string the .m2ts files together.  I really want to just rip dvd/BR and just leave their native files as is and stream that to a player.

And why is that? Since you need to get the data from the dics to the HDD anyway, you can as well remux in the same step with MakeMKV or TsMuxerGUI, the quality will be identical.

blanker wrote:

I haven’t seen many discs with this protection, a handful really.  And it’s just a matter of time before they find a way to circumvent. 

Doubtful, there won’t be an effective method to remove the protection without seriously degrading audio quality. However, since media players completely ignore Cinavia, it won’t be too much of a problem (other than studios aiming at high fidelity with lossless audio tracks deliberately degrading audio quality with white noise, of course).

Cinavia, hmmm. news to me.  So  I googled.  Mandatory on discs and BD players since 2012.  I wonder how many legit BD discs and BD players (old and new) will be negatively affected by this development and crash when they shouldn’t.

If you google it yourself, look for article concerning it and AnyDVDHD.  Seems they have taken care of the issue for now.  Check website for AnyDVD and read changelog for product and read fixes for Cinavia.  Glad I have lifetime license for AnyDVDHD.  Will install latest update right after sending this post.   :wink:

mike27oct wrote:

Cinavia, hmmm. news to me.  So  I googled.  Mandatory on discs and BD players since 2012.  I wonder how many legit BD discs and BD players (old and new) will be negatively affected by this development and crash when they shouldn’t.

If you google it yourself, look for article concerning it and AnyDVDHD.  Seems they have taken care of the issue for now.  Check website for AnyDVD and read changelog for product and read fixes for Cinavia.  Glad I have lifetime license for AnyDVDHD.  Will install latest update right after sending this post.   :wink:

Sorry to disappoint but they have only implemented a workaround for use with some software players.

http://torrentfreak.com/cinavia-video-anti-piracy-system-blocked-by-anydvd-130313/

It also appears that anydvdhd will never handle cinavia and slysoft are working on a new program which may overcome the problem in the future.

https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?53392-Slyce-Slysoft-s-pending-BD-Backup-Product-FEATURE-DISCUSSION-Topic-v1-6

Also only mandatory on players not discs, that’s why its not such a big problem at the moment. Nobody has yet come up with a way of getting round the protection.

I have only come across about 5 discs with Cinavia (out of a couple hundred prob).  Playing the files/disc in my pc using powerdvd (latest version) is fine.  Right, there is currently only a work around.  If you can get your hands on a ps3 that has firmware below (4.1 I think), dvdfab has a way to disable it.  But this requires a ps3 that hasn’t been updated in a while.

blanker wrote:

I really do not want to go to mkv or use another program to string the .m2ts files together.  I really want to just rip dvd/BR and just leave their native files as is and stream that to a player.

And why is that? Since you need to get the data from the dics to the HDD anyway, you can as well remux in the same step with MakeMKV or TsMuxerGUI, the quality will be identical.

I rip with dvdfabhd (free version).  But probably the biggest thing is that I want to make sure I can put the rips back on disc in the future.  

Let me get this straight though.  MakeMKV, is it free?  And I thought it didn’t matter if there were multiple .m2ts files with MKV output.  

I thought txmuxer was necessary only if i wanted to strip out the .m2ts files and join them together into 1 big .m2ts file.

Rich, you found the AnyDVDHD thread I alluded to.  (I did not want to post the actual thread, ya know.)  Anyway, I know it is a work around, and the actual work arounds are listed throughout the changelog:  http://www.slysoft.com/download/changes_anydvd.txt

Rich >>>  Nobody has yet come up with a way of getting round the protection.

Axiom:  If software can be developed, it can also be “undeveloped” given time to do so.

Thanks for the interesting forum link – I never read their forums – don’t need to; the program just works!

Check this out:  Cinavia Consumer Information Center  from the Cinavia powers that be.

What a crock of baloney.

Do we need a Cinavia thread?

It’s occurred to me that the Cinavia protection is to thwart DVD pirates who operate on a grand scale in China and other places that pirate and sell DVDs and blu-rays made by the manufacturers of such products.  This is the BIG thorn in the side of the movie industry, and if that can be thrown a monkey wrench, they would be more than pleased.  It seems it ought not mess up MKVs made for media players, but maybe not.

Has anyone here made such an ISO or MKV file from a Cinavia protected disc yet?

It should not affect any player which has not got the cinavia ‘decoder’. As the WD players don’t have that ‘decoder’ then any mkv or ISO should play perfectly. However it may not play on certain commercial software players or if it were burnt to a disc and played on certain bluray players. If a media player did have a ‘decoder’ then it would not play. There is no law that says a ‘decoder’ has to be installed its all to do with a requirement of licencing. If you have no licence agreement then you have no need to install the ‘decoder’, and in fact the ‘decoder’ costs you money. Even though it seems to work not all distributors are making full use of it as again it costs money to add it to each disc.

Of the disks listed here:

http://blog.dvdfab.com/cinavia-protection.html

I have four of those original BDs.  Two are ripped to M2TS (the other two are 3D versions which I don’t rip).  No issues with playback on any WDTV.

The Green Hornet

The Amazing Spider-Man

Now that I’ve seen that, I should try playing them through my LG BD Player (via DLNA) and see what happens. :slight_smile:

blanker wrote:

But probably the biggest thing is that I want to make sure I can put the rips back on disc in the future.  And I thought it didn’t matter if there were multiple .m2ts files with MKV output.  

My point is this: you’re gonna rip from disc to HDD anyway, so why not streamline your workflow to end up with a file playable by the WDTV? Since it ignores the menu on BDs and only plays the largest m2ts you cannot simply rip to ISO when the main movie is spread over several m2ts. In that case you can rip to MKV but you’ll lose the menu and thus going back to Disc (which I would not want anyway, since my original BD is the backup).

mike27oct wrote:

Axiom:  If software can be developed, it can also be “undeveloped” given time to do so.

Maybe, but the files injected with artifacts not. It’s just like a jpg, you can’t get the original information back if you don’t have an untarnished original. Even Slysoft hinted at their upcoming solution to Cinavia requiring a recoding of the audio.

haven’t followed how dvdfab got around cinavia in any detail

but my understanding is that it wasn’t a true fix

they basically just copy to hdd, including the cinavia bits

so your backup ends up with cinavia imbedded as well

which is fine for most media players

but if you were to burn to disk and insert to BD player

the player would recognize the disk as having cinavia protection

… well that’s how I understood it, but it’s been a long time since I cared to pay attention to it

I saw a BD on the list Tony gave us that I have made a MKV file from.  The MKV plays fine via the WDTV and VLC.

Alot of the latest comments here support my hypothesis that the DVD makers are mostly trying to thwart movies copied with a camcorder in a movie theater or Chinese pirates who mass produce DVD/BD copies of a commercial disc.  Until Cinavia, there was not a way to disable this, and now there is.

Sorry to be the fly in the ointment, but can I just bring this thread back to this question in purple bold…

blanker wrote:

“And why is that? Since you need to get the data from the dics to the HDD anyway, you can as well remux in the same step with MakeMKV or TsMuxerGUI, the quality will be identical.”

I rip with dvdfabhd (free version).  But probably the biggest thing is that I want to make sure I can put the rips back on disc in the future.  

Let me get this straight though.  MakeMKV, is it free?  And I thought it didn’t matter if there were multiple .m2ts files with MKV output.  

I thought txmuxer was necessary only if i wanted to strip out the .m2ts files and join them together into 1 big .m2ts file.

@blanker

What you want to do is not that complicated or difficult.  This is what I do with AnyDVDHD and Bytecopy, but the principle is the same with other similar programs.  The programs I use are not free, but to me, are worth the money.

1)   I rip a BD with AnyDVD to an ISO (the BD ISO is complete and “all together”)  Ripping takes an hour or two.

1. I run the BD ISO through Bytecopy to create the single file MKV with Chapters  (this takes 15 mins or so.)

3)  I put the MKV file onto my WDTV drive and can view the video and skip to chapters.

Suggest you do same, and forget about combining M2TS files and such.  What’s the point?

If after doing this you cannot view the MKV, then you have a different issue.

BTW, I can even then run the MKV through Handbrake to create a m4v file to view on my mobile devices; (i.e. iPad and KindleFireHD).

makemkv is free

I also use dvdfabhd (free)

and Tsmuxer

so it depends on what you want to end up with

an MKV can not be directly burned onto a BD disc and put in a BD player

but a standalone .m2ts file also can not be burned directly onto a BD disc and expect a BD player to play it

some BD players, might be able to play it, but it would be considered a data disc with a .m2ts file on it

BD discs to have a specific structure and directories, additional menu files, pls files, etc …

which are required

TSMuxer can create a BD structure from a single m2ts, you’ll lose the menu of course. MakeMKV has a free trial period, after that you have to pay if you want to rip BDs. But since they added a WDTV profile you can now rip to MKV in one step.

I don’t know why so many people say MakeMKV is free, when it says “Trial”.

Does anyone know of a free (and easy) program that converts .m2ts to MKV?  Other than Handbrake?

Ok, getting back to the dvd rips.  So I can just leaver my dvd rips the way they are and there will be no probs streaming them to the smp?  menus, ff, rw, all of this will work.  Or do they have to be in ISO format?

blanker wrote:

Does anyone know of a free (and easy) program that converts .m2ts to MKV?  Other than Handbrake?

Ok, getting back to the dvd rips.  So I can just leaver my dvd rips the way they are and there will be no probs streaming them to the smp?  menus, ff, rw, all of this will work.  Or do they have to be in ISO format?

I think of it as free, because I’ve never paid for it
anytime I’ve had issue, expired etc

just uninstall, then reinstall

it’s always worked here and I don’t use it, I use it mainly for dvd’s

which are pretty uncommon nowadays

blanker wrote:

Its a continuous free trial, there is no paid version and its always been beta.

• Program is time-limited – it will stop functioning after 60 days. You can always download the latest version from makemkv.com that will reset the expiration date.

So, how do these folks make money off their product??