New to WDTV Live. Couple questions

lol. I understand that DTS-MA is loseless and is a pretty much the best surround sound we can get on a blu ray disc.  And I can gather that DTS core “sounds like” some stripped version of DTS-MA, which is why I was bummed.  Tony, I wan’t the best and don’t want to settle!  I did some research and a post over at AVS stated that the core is a lower bitrate than DTS-MA, which sort of confirms your recent post.

It is a bummer.  One of the huge advantages of BR is the lossless audio.  Some folks say that you can’t hear the difference.  But I can hear the difference between a dvd recorded with DTS and a BR recorded with DTS-MA.  Perhaps that’s not a good comparison though.

WD isn’t hiding the fact that the SMP “only” supports normal DTS:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330#tab3

I’m not sure if there’s a single standalone mediaplayer which decodes DTSMA/TrueHD-audio.

there is no conversion going on when the WD sees DTS-MA

it plays the DTS part, and just ignores the MA portion of the file

and in my opinion the DTS part is plenty good enough

yeah, I missed the part about media server, most media servers like already said will not support menu navigation

but standard smb or nfs shares or as local media do support dvd menu’s

menu’s are also supported for iso files

As for the DTS license issue, here’s my outsider understanding of it

WD asks for license for DTS-MA & is told no license is available

then WD asks if a license is needed, the answer is yes

so I want to buy a license, which is required, but no license is available to buy

because they only issue license to players that have an optical drive i.e. blu-ray players

ok, I’ll try the network shares tonight.

How do you guys configure the network shares?  Is there a common way to do this?

how to set up shares, it depends on what type of share and what operating system you’re on

the most basic way is in windows, right click the folder you want to share, click properties, then sharing, share this folder

blanker wrote:

ok, I’ll try the network shares tonight.

How do you guys configure the network shares?  Is there a common way to do this?

A little searching of this site and you likely would have found this:

How to resolve Network shares access problems

Of course, you need to share things via Windows first before setting up the WD unit for network shares.

blanker wrote:
Some folks say that you can’t hear the difference.  But I can hear the difference between a dvd recorded with DTS and a BR recorded with DTS-MA.

You get similar statements all the time on hydrogenaudio.org… until the user has performed an ABX-test. Have you tried one on DTS vs DTS-MA ripped from the same BD?

I was in the quality hi-fi/stereo biz years ago – you’d be amazed about how passionate people can get about minute “differences” they hear, when there really aren’t any to speak of.  But, there are some stark differences.  Example: early CDs from analog recordings vs. recent and excellent remasters of same recording. 

Yes, I searched.  And I found that.  I was wondering if there were any other tips or tweaks.  If you don’t want to help that’s fine, but I can do without comments like “A little searching of this site and you likely would have found this”.

Yes techflaws, there is a difference when it’s a blind test though.  Not knowing is one thing.  But when you know your listening to a stripped down version of an audio track, to me, I begin to wonder if I can hear the difference.  there is simplicity in knowing I am listening to the best audio reproduction available.  Simplicity is easy and thats what im really going for.  I don’t want to remix, transcode, alter, anything.  I want to rip and play.     

Which is what I do. If you DO insist on knowing (albeit not necessarily hearing) you’re listening to the best audio reproduction available, you need to buy another player.

lets face it, there’s always better out there

why not spend a grand on an HTPC, it will probably do everything and ever exceed 10% cpu load

but for what the WD SMP is - a sub $100 device

it’s a good value

it’s not perfect but for < $100 device that’s 2 maybe years old it does quite well

When I want to listen to a recording of mine in all it’s wonderful hi-fi glory, I listen to the CD.  But, if I want convenience and portability in a compact and universally playable format, I rip 'em to a 192bps VBR mp3, and listen to them off my WD player, or mobile devices.  The WD player and all the portable devices do not qualify as super hi-fi devices, so why bother with FLAC files and their gigantic file sizes?  I don’t need a roomful of hard drives to store them on.

To the FLAC fans out there: don’t bother to comment; I know all the pros and cons of FLAC, and I choose not to have FLAC files in my life.  Thanks.

I’m going to play around with it for a while, get the shares set up and see what’s what.   Thanks for all the help guys.

mike27oct wrote:

… To the FLAC fans out there: don’t bother to comment; I know all the pros and cons of FLAC, and I choose not to have FLAC files in my life.  Thanks.

Nice way to nip that one in the bud Mike. 

-P

PS: Flac rocks. :smileyvery-happy:

mike27oct wrote:
I know all the pros and cons of FLAC, and I choose not to have FLAC files in my life.  Thanks.

Cons like no support by major car manufacturers like BMW for their built-in car stereos? Or has this changed lately?

Soooooo, took about an hour for the windows shares to appear.  I even tried the Registry hack too.  I found out that every time I shared an item on my pc I had to power-cycle the smp for the shares to appear.  Took a while to figure that one out.

I have to admit, being able to use the menus and having that (movies along the bottom) layout is really nice!  All my movies are catagorized using “My Movies”, so the thumbnails all show up, nice!  

1. I noticed that the info for the movies does not show up (director, runtime, actors, etc).  This info is all populated in the movie folder by MYMovies, in xml docs.  Anyway to have the SMP use this info?

2.  I noticed a dip in wifi signal range.  Before, using Serviio I could stream .m2ts files over wifi no problem.  The WDTV also showed 3 bars on the wifi.

3.  Now using windows shares, I couldn’t even stream dvds over wifi.  I noticed that the SMP was now showing 2 bars.  I can’t explain why the wifi is so low from yesterday.  I moved the SMP out of the cabinet and placed it on top and the range went back to 3 bars and I was able to stream dvds again.  Strange.  This thing is only about 15 over from my nighthawk router.  The nighthawk man!

there’s a big difference between a media server and network share

simplist way to describe it

the media server is actively pushing the data to the media player

network share, the media player must go retrieve the data

the nighthawk is suposed to be a pretty good router

so I’d guess your network is not configured correctly

even the best router if mis-configured will default back to G wireless speeds

here’s a good article, while not nighthawk specific

it talks about what is required for any router to operate an N speeds

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration

as for xml’s I don’t use them, so somebody else can chime in

but if I remember correctly, xml’s don’t work for folders, only individual movie files

Thanks, I’ll have a look at that link.  I briefly noticed last night when in the Nighthawk’s setup page that the link speed for the SMP was 112mbps.

blanker wrote:

Thanks, I’ll have a look at that link.  I briefly noticed last night when in the Nighthawk’s setup page that the link speed for the SMP was 112mbps.

will 112mbps is much faster than G

but it’s still not 300 which 2x N is capable of

I’d guess you’re on a 20mhz band instead of 40mhz

possibly some other settings need to be adjusted as well

KAD79 wrote:

blanker wrote:

will 112mbps is much faster than G

but it’s still not 300 which 2x N is capable of

I’d guess you’re on a 20mhz band instead of 40mhz

possibly some other settings need to be adjusted as well

I looked at every setting in my router and could not find anything related to 20mhz or 40mhz.

The 2.4Ghz band is set at 600mbps, the highest rating, and the 5Ghz band at it’s highest.

I also enabled Qos for media streaming.

I have heard of some firmware hacks that change the display.  I wonder if any of those would utilize my xml docs.