New to NAS have setup question

Just bought the mycloud ex4. I have 4 hard drives that contain data I do not want to lose. All I want to do now is access the data on these drives from my new laptop. I want the drives to remain as individual drives, no raid right now. I need this data to setup my new laptop’s software. They also contain backups from my old system. My old system was a tower which contained all these drives. I want to attach these drives to the laptop as 4 network attached drives.

I am not experienced with NAS and I do not see how to do this in the instructions, which are mostly over my head.  

I have put the drives in the EX4 and I have connected it to my network. I can access the EX4 with my browser. Can you help me get started.

Thanks 

rrobert5 wrote:

Just bought the mycloud ex4. I have 4 hard drives that contain data I do not want to lose. All I want to do now is access the data on these drives from my new laptop. I want the drives to remain as individual drives, no raid right now. I need this data to setup my new laptop’s software. They also contain backups from my old system. My old system was a tower which contained all these drives. I want to attach these drives to the laptop as 4 network attached drives.

I am not experienced with NAS and I do not see how to do this in the instructions, which are mostly over my head.  

I have put the drives in the EX4 and I have connected it to my network. I can access the EX4 with my browser. Can you help me get started.

Thanks 

You will loose your data if you have those 4 hard drive in the EX4 and then configure a RAID set.  Please shutdown your NAS and remove those hard drives.  The only to keep those data is to connect your hard drive to a SATA convert to USB port.  Which you can connect tothe NAS usb port.

So it appears I can’t do what I want, I bought the wrong thing for what I want to do. I guess I could get some fresh drives and attach an external enclosure (like you said) and copy the data I want back to the raid then recreate the backups on the fresh drives.  I guess I need to do better research next time I buy something and I’m not sure what I’m doing. Thanks for your comments