New to MyCloud

Hello

Yesterday I’ve installed two new things on my Network
1- A Sonos station and the controller. It was like a charm, done and working after +/- 10 minutes
2- A mycloud 2TB Disk (With the first idea to store and share music for my Sonos)

MyCloud is still a Nightmare after 24 hours of different tries and approach (hopefully with some pause)

• The only working thing is to Launch Setup and see the Dashboard
  • Impossible to setup cloud access from the dashboard
  • Impossible to connect to Mycloud via internal computer
  • Impossible to connect via an external computer

I can create Share and Users
But Difficult to understand how I can use it effectively since nothing seems to work apart the Dashboard
I guess that the Dashboard in local network is not the only working element of MyCloud WD :slight_smile:

How is it “impossible” to setup cloud access from the My Cloud Dashboard? Have you enabled Remote Access under Dashboard > Settings? Have you configured each user to have remote access under the Cloud Access page? Have you read the Dashboard Help that explains how to configure remote access to the My Cloud? Have you read the My Cloud User Manual which explains how to configure/use the various features and options of the My Cloud?

What does the connection status indicate both under Dashboard Settings > Network and Settings > General > Cloud Access?

Does your ISP/broadband provider allow for inbound access to your local network? Some broadband providers block access which necessitates having to change the port assignments used by the My Cloud for remote access. See the Dashboard Help or My Cloud User Manual for more information on how to change the remote access ports used by the My Cloud. Typically one also would have to configure port forwarding in their broadband router if one changes the default My Cloud remote access ports.

What other specific troubleshooting steps have you taken?

Do a subforum search, using the magnifying glass icon upper right, for “sonos”. There are multiple discussions of people having issues with getting the Sonos device to work properly with the single bay/single hard drive My Cloud units. Those discussions may hold possible solutions to getting your Sonos to work properly with your My Cloud.

1 Like

Thanks for you reply Bennor

I do not see any “Setting” Menu/option on the Dashboard with my Admin login version 2.21.126
BTW For me the Dashboard is the page after login with MyCloud/Setup is it something else ?

If I go to Mycloud.com and login with my user setting (from a computer in my local network) I get the message Can’t connect to WDMycloud
However here there is a little Settings Gear icon but if I click on it it Says “Device Off Line”
There is also a Link “Accept your device’s cerificate”. After clicking on it I get the message "This site can’t be reached device xxxxx took too long to respond

What else I can do ?

I’m very frustrated !
I was expecting something more easier and straightforward to use

Hello Bennor

Ok I’m a bit ashamed because I’ve just found the setting Icon by moving the menu Bar (but it is also a kind of dumb design to not set that bar wide enough to just not hide that important option ) !

However it doesn’t give something really new
Cloud Service is ON

But I still can login, nor open the Drive from my local network
And this is nothing to do with Sonos !
A simple goal I guess will be at least to be able drop a single file from any computer on my local newtwok to that “supposed” cloud drive on the same local network ?
No ?

The My Cloud Dashboard is generally accessed using one of the following in your web browser.
Windows PC: http://wdmycloud
Mac: http://wdmycloud.local

Or see the following WD Support document:

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=13965

Next, if you haven’t done so already you may want to read through the My Cloud User Manual (http://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=904) and or the My Cloud Dashboard Help to learn more about the My Cloud, its features and how to configure/use them.

You can use Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder to drag and drop files to a My Cloud on your local network. It makes things easier if you “map” the My Cloud to your local computer.

http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=2676

http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=2686

Generally the My Cloud is easy to setup and use for most home network configurations. Except in those instances where a user’s local network setup or broadband is configured in such a fashion as to cause problems (like using AT&T Uverse provided router/gateway). Certain broadband providers block access to their subscribers local network. That’s why sometimes one has to change the Cloud Access/Remote Access ports from 80/443 to some alternate port like 8080/4443. One generally also has to ensure their local network router’s firewall will allow broadband/internet traffic to pass to the My Cloud. Sometimes this may involve the user configuring port forwarding within the network router to allow that traffic.

1 Like

Thank you Bennor
It sounds that I have an issue with my Network
If so probably many user in Belgium should have similar issue because the Router I’m using (Belgacom/Proximus BBOX) is the most common
I will ask technical assistance there or maybe forget the MyCloud idea and return it if it becomes too complicate !
Someone just tell me that Synology can be a good alternative easier to configure

Hello Again
I spoke with my access provider to Internet (who owns the router)
For their point of view there is no restriction that could prevent me to see the drive !
And in fact I see the drive from any machine from my local network
But I can’t open and browse it !
So the issue is even before internet access the content of the drive is hidden on my local network !

Can it be an hardware issue ?

You can “see” the My Cloud using what software or application? Windows File Explorer? Mac Finder?

What does “can’t open and browse it” actually mean. How are you trying to open it?

On the local network one should be able to access the My Cloud using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder. For Windows one should see the My Cloud listed under Network Neighborhood provided the computer’s network name (typically “workgroup”) is the same as the network name in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Network > Network Workgroup. Certain Windows configurations, like having the network settings configured for “Public”, may block access to the My Cloud.