New Starter Question

Hello, just setting up my Live Book for the first time.

My question is, do I need to setup users…

The drive is connected to a network with just two computers. Do I need to setup a user for the 2nd PC or doesn’t really matter.

Both PC will be accessing documents from the drive at the same time.

What will happen if the same file is opened by both computers ?

Thanks for your help any any advice to get me set up correctly appreciated

Richard

I think if you don’t setup users (they better be the same user/pass as the credentials you use for Windows login), you only can read/write into the SHARE section of the drive. 

I suggest you try that for yourself BEFORE putting valuable data on the drive (so it would be easier, if you mess up something, to factory restore the drive).

About the files, I’ve tried with an excel file. When trying to open from another computer Office announces me that the file can be opened Read Only. 

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve not yet tried this with two computers becuase I’m waiting for another router with more ports.

There are only the default folders on the drive at present but I will experiment before adding valuable content.

You mention the shared section.

Is this the same as public, becuase I think the default files are all public. The Live Book is at the office and unplugged so can’t access it at the moment to take a look.

I currently use Skydrive but when two computers open the same file, another copy file is made, which is why I’m hoping this doesn’t happen with the Live Drive.

Just one more question. If I link the Live Drive to Skydrive, do you know if you get more GB Skydrive store than the basic 7GB or is it just the same Skydrive account I have to work with…

Thanks again for the info.

Richard

About Skydrive and MyBookLive… there’s no setting in MyBookLive control panel to link with Skydrive. The only place where  you can access both is on WD2Go app for iOS where you can add more drives (for example MBL, dropbox, skydrive accont and others). But I don’t see any reason to link eachother, you can access both very easy from Windows etc.

Hoyley wrote:

Hello, just setting up my Live Book for the first time.

My question is, do I need to setup users…

The drive is connected to a network with just two computers. Do I need to setup a user for the 2nd PC or doesn’t really matter.

Both PC will be accessing documents from the drive at the same time.

What will happen if the same file is opened by both computers ?

Thanks for your help any any advice to get me set up correctly appreciated

Richard

You don’t really neeeeed to set up any users. Just keep in mind that anyone on the network will have access to those files, as far a sharing your documents if your taking about music or videos you should be fine since the MBL is made for serving media but if you plan on editing excel or word type files at the exact same time I wouldn’t recommend that you run the risk of overriding someone else’s work.