New Router/New Public Ip -- No More Cloud Access

Installed a new router, using all the settings from the old router. When I did this, I got a new public IP address from my ISP.

Cloud access now shows disconnected and when I go to login, it just hangs after entering the password displaying the word “Updating”.

I can access the shares ON netwwork but not off.

Any suggestions? What am I missing?

@WDTraveler

What brand and model of modem do you have? What brand and model of router? Who is your ISP?

I have had my new router for about three weeks now and my ISP didn’t have anything to do with getting it set up and placed in use. My modem is the same, I own it (Arris SB8200). My router was also set up with the same information. I did change what number my device addresses begin and end with. I have everything working. My new router is a Linksys Hydra Pro AXE6600 Wifi 6E Tri-Band, Model: MR7500.

Can you specify what you mean by “I can access the shares ON network but not off”? What are you using to access the shares? I downloaded Twonky but I can’t download anything as a whole ie I’d have to click on every single file to download. TIA!

ASUS RTAX86U, Comcast is the ISP, no chnage of Surfboard modem.

The ISP assigns the external IP, usually it is assigned by DHCP but is usually constant. If you change routers they do change the IP.

Internal IPs remained the same.

If I use the MyCloud app with my phone tied to WiFi, it works fine. If I turn off the WiFi on my phone and try again, th eapp can not connect. So on networ works, external does not.

1 Like

same here

Apparently the problem is something outside my realm. The timing was just incidental.

What you are (or were?) missing is the fact that you network WAN address changed when you installed the new router. The WAN address is assigned by an ISP network router to your PC, and is the address the WORLD uses to find your network.

When you NAS is exposed to the internet, it (quite often) phones home to WD; they find out your WAN address; and use that address to establish all the fun internet connectivity to your NAS. It is ALSO used as part of the HTTPS redirect such that when you type \mycloud in your web browser; which inherently insecure HTTP connection; it resolves as the more secure https:\remote-wd-bunch of stuff.

(we can debate how moronic that HTTPS connection is elsewhere)

SO. . .you just didn’t give the wd time to update the WAN address.

@Anyone interested in reading about the Modem.

How Cable Modems Work | HowStuffWorks

What’s the Difference Between a Modem and a Router? | HowStuffWorks

The issue was WD’s and it has been resolved.

What did you do to solve the problem? I have the same problem

What did you do to solve the problem? I have the same problem

I did nothing. The issue was on the WD side. I went in the program this AM, logged into the Cloud panel, and everything was back on line and functioning.