New Release - WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Firmware Version 2.01.86 (12/10/13)

JulianDroid wrote:
Computers with Windows and Mac OS can’t hardly connect via samba.

Both my PC and NAS connect just fine with Samba.

JulianDroid wrote:
At least thousands of users probably are effected negatively.

Thousands? 84.23% of statistics are wrong. Even so, it would still be a small percentage of the installed user base. Also, if it really were thousands, at least some would certainly be helping out Tony trying to get to the bottom of this.

After reverting back to previous firmware-version WDTV Live is [Deleted] again. One of my friends also his WDTV Live on previous firmware works normal again…

Techflaw hired by WD? Doing Samsung-practices corrupting forums?

In three dutch forums only minimal 60 different same complaints as me and my friends with last update.

WD screwed up big time. That is pure reality. And I don’t care what you think about it.

Nontheless,

Kind regards

Techflaws wrote:

BlackDragon24 wrote

At this point my solution is to use PLEX for my PLEX clients and another DLNA server for the WDTV, but it is a little annoying seeing as this used to work :slight_smile:

I don’t get it. I’ve done a clean install of Plex, used default settings and had no transcoding but embedded subs (there were no external).

The external subs are what causes the transcoding.

For Samsung Smart TV’s, the subs need to be external for PLEX to display them properly.

For the WDTV they no not.

If you want to try and replicate my problem on the WDTV SMP, you need to do this:

Take any mkv with an embedded subtitle and extract it to the same location as the movie.  Label it with a language tag  For example if you have “Elysium (2013).mkv” then the subtitle should read “Elysium (2013).en.srt”…the language tag is necessary for PLEX to recognize it and process it properly

Now go into your PLEX media server settings and change your preferred subtitle language to english, then change the subtitles to “always enabled”…again, this is necessary for the PLEX client to see them without having to activate them each time individually.

Refresh your library.  Try the MKV on the WDTV with Plex media server.  Tell me if your audio comes back as AAC and you get transcoding.

JulianDroid wrote:

So, the only reason one could ever disagree with you is being employed by WD? Makes sense! And where the heck does Samsung suddenly come from?

JulianDroid wrote:
In three dutch forums only minimal 60 different same complaints as me and my friends with last update.

From thousands you’re back to 60. Impressive.

Hi

Please for the next Firmware add a option for disable DTSHD for avr DTS only ! 

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issues/DTS-MA-pass-through-problem-with-DTS-only-sound-output-new/idi-p/638797

JulianDroid wrote:

This latest firmware is worse than bèta, it is an embarrasment for a company like WD and a scandal to have it rolled out to customers. Not only all the complaints in this topic. Also other websites worldwide full of complaints. And apart from my WDTV Live two other people I know with same device have exactly the same problems.

Computers with Windows and Mac OS can’t hardly connect via samba. When they connect, connection often gets broken. After (re)boot of computer it takes forever to finally get contact with WDTV Live. And there is no connection at all to use dlna. Or while using dlna connection gets broken. 

Same when wanting to use dlna or upnp with Android (BubbleUPnP, Wondershare, 2Player, etc.). WDTV Live does not connect at all, or takes a very long time. And when there is connection it gets broken more often than not.

In all cases routers have been restarted, settings double-checked of routers and computers. Those settings are totally correct. At the same time no problem at all with different smart-TV’s!

The developpers of this firmware failed miserably. At least thousands of users probably are effected negatively. For such a failure in my company I would fire the person(s) responsible without any hesitation.

We will revert to previous firmware soon

I’m having two big problems with this firmware:

• I can’t resume videos if the unit has been turned off. When I turn it back on, it loses the resume point for the movie or show I was watching.

• Often it will not properly eject my USB hard disk and the unit will hang. Usually this seems to happen after coming out of screensaver. I’ll hit the Eject button then press OK, and the arrow will just spin around and not actually eject the HD. The WDTV will just sit there spinning the arrow until I pull the power cord out.

Hate to burst the bubble but its not the firmware thats the problem.

A very large majority of the issues reported here are due to system setups, hardware inbetween and not resetting the whole media setup.

No firmware no matter how good is going to get rid of old code if the box isn’t reset ,make a router reset its setting for changes or reboot a computer to restart a conection.

No firmware is perfect but smb and nfs are both working fine.

Working solutions have been given but some still insist on blaming the firmware and not even bothering to try them.

Hate to burst your bubble but far too many users with issues show it is the FW (yes I am back from the North Sea).

I read some of the digs etc from a few here while I was gone and this FW has been a major joke.

Repeating that others care not doing what you suggested is wrong as I and other did totally reset the WD/reboot router and PC and have stated that many times.

And not all users will issues will have the same set up including routers so it cannot be blamed on their PC/routers in all cases.

I spent one week now messing about with the last 3-4 FW’s including all the known bugs they have that all users report.

I can tell you the Shares issues happens nearly every time I update to the new FW and remains nearly every time I roll back and that does not mean its not the FW as all other FW’s can roll back and forward without any issues even without a reset.

I think I have worked out how to make this not happen at all but am not sure why it does happen but something in the FW’s code must change something to do with the Shares.

The fix is simple and can be easily overlooked but was never needed before.

I have read some users claim the new FW gives the WD a different device name etc but that is not true or else the internet connection would not work by default as soon as FW is flashed without even resetting it.

I am going to forward my findings to WD as it has been pointed many time out this is not a proper support forum and all I see if users getting hit on for posting issues or wanting help in my twelve months lurking here.

There is one or two good guys here but at least three that I would not the give the time of day and they will never admit WD is wrong and think of this forum as their domain where they can give grief to others who come here to vent/ask for help with a device they paid for with hard earned cash.

I know they will be along to give me grief but I am not even going to read or reply to it (same as the ones from when I was offshore).

I hope the WD support can see what goes on here and a few need their wings clipped.

There was a thread made by a guy who wanted users to do some testing for him by running some software to capture issues, I am willing to help him with info if he reads this and msg’s me but its not really needed and only WD can really revert the next FW to the way it was before with shares not having these much issues for this amount of users.

I really would rather be enjoying my box instead of being on this forum, makes me wonder why the wonderboys with no issues are even here and have nothing better to do.

jh007 wrote:

I have read some users claim the new FW gives the WD a different device name etc but that is not true or else the internet connection would not work by default as soon as FW is flashed without even resetting it.

What makes you say that? Even if my WDTV would be called ‘Eloise’ after the firmware update, it would still get IP and gateway from DHCP and thus be able to access the net. Or am I missing something (like I obviously have with the different device name, haven’t read this anywhere).

jh007 wrote: 

I am going to forward my findings to WD as it has been pointed many time out this is not a proper support forum and all I see if users getting hit on for posting issues or wanting help in my twelve months lurking here.

Weird, so far I’ve only seen people getting “hit on” for throwing about insults (at WD) and vocally insisting there’s no chance it **bleep**, their problems might be related to something on their end. Best example is a guy boasting about his 20 years of experience in IT where the WDTV was the **bleep**tiest device ever cause a genius like him could not figure out how to get the WDTV to appear on his network only to ruefully admit later that it wasn’t the firmware but his anti virus that blocked the WDTV.

That said, I still think you should post your solution here for others to try. Maybe it actually does help so people don’t have to wait for WD, we all know how that’s been working so far.

Ok at least you admit about WD above and I agree if someone comes on ranting/swearing its bad but not all did so in time I have been reading posts here.

I have proven this works for MYSELF on my set up about 7-8 times now and continues to work after resetting fully in device menu or with little reset button underneath and after powering off with power button held for 5-7 secs or unplugging mains power.

Before when I got lucky and the shares worked on their own after updating the FW it simply broke after a full power off/on or full reset.

This was found by messing with all my PC settings and nothing worked to do with Firewalls/User accounts/sharing/homegroups etc.

I knew nothing had change at PC end or router end and after at most a reboot of all 3 devices it should work but here is what fixed it for me:

The TV Shows folder being one to look at, simply UNCHECK the shared button circled in red then do the FW update then a full reset for good measure (works regardless) and then RECHECK the box afterwards.

No need to change any of the settings in the share sections or security sections of the opened windows bellow the above window.

The Windows Shares should appear in a second or so after you choose it from menu instead of taking forever (then breaking next full reset/power off/on) or not working at all.

I have rolled backed to the previous FW and I have to do the reverse of this or the shares will not work, this is why others rolled back and still had no shares even though that  same FW worked before, not their PC/Router to blame in all cases.

I have no idea how going to or from this FW causes this or how its so simple to fix but easy to overlook unless you are setting up for first time or adding new folders to share.

I think I said before I got the new FW to work once by auto update and once by USB stick and the shares finally appeared after many tries but they broke on a full reset or power off/on, with this method Im still running fine.

Not to say there is not other issues I would like to be finally sorted including its slower to come out of standby as it finding the network that was fixed a few builds ago but was issue on older FW’s also…

I have one weird issue I have not read about on all FW’s and it only happens rarely when I have watched a file then choose to delete it a white overlay appears on screen saying something like “playing background music while moving file” and it does nothing if I leave it,  a power off/on normally fixes it.

I hope this helps others but I cannot speak for anyones elses set up but my own and am not looking for any big deal made of it if it works or not.

Maybe someone who has network problems after the update can test your method and report back here.

BlackDragon24 wrote:
If you want to try and replicate my problem on the WDTV SMP, you need to do this:

Mmh, I’ve muxed a file with internal and external subs and put it into a separate folder:

WDTV/Subs/Plex/test.mkv

WDTV/Subs/Plex/test.en.srt

but when I browse to the folder via media shares from my WDTV, it says “no media available”, even after refreshing the library. The entire WDTV folder, however, is listed in the Plex media library and I can play that file in Firefox from http://127.0.0.1:32400/web/.

Techflaws wrote:

Maybe someone who has network problems after the update can test your method and report back here.

BlackDragon24 wrote:

Mmh, I’ve muxed a file with internal and external subs and put it into a separate folder:

WDTV/Subs/Plex/test.mkv

WDTV/Subs/Plex/test.en.srt

but when I browse to the folder via media shares from my WDTV, it says “no media available”, even after refreshing the library. The entire WDTV folder, however, is listed in the Plex media library and I can play that file in Firefox from http://127.0.0.1:32400/web/.

You’ve gotta stream it using Plex Media Server’s DLNA server :).  No need to mess with network shares.  Just add it to your PLEX library and refresh, and select Media Server - PLEX as your source thru the video menu.

Techflaws wrote:

JulianDroid wrote:

So, the only reason one could ever disagree with you is being employed by WD? Makes sense! And where the heck does Samsung suddenly come from?

• *> Samsung was caught and fined for paying people to post positive online comments (and bash HTC).> LOL, we all know you can’t be WD, companies don’t care about people and you do.

BlackDragon24 wrote:

You’ve gotta stream it using Plex Media Server’s DLNA server :).  No need to mess with network shares.

Yeah, I misspoke. I connected via shares and the file played fine. When I connected via media server I got the message “no media available” despite the file being in the Plex media library. Weird.

Mr-Wolf wrote:
LOL, we all know you can’t be WD, companies don’t care about people and you do.

Yeah, well, thanks :wink:

Update went well, all new features working except…

No SiriusXM listed under services, am I looking in the wrong place?

Maybe it’s not available in the US?

All of the other new services are there except SiriusXM.

Its quite true when people are complaining and when solutions are offered some people rather not bother to try and then attack others or use bad language.

Thankfully this is only a very small handful of people and most  are polite/helpful.

I been doing for over twice as long as your twenty years and what that actually means is nothing.

You can be doing something for years and not be good at it or have all the experience in the world and miss something small.

That’s why we have these forums so users can help each other and bounce ideas off each other to avoid missing something.

One of the first things they teach you in IT is that if its working for the vast majority of people then there likely something different or wrong to a setup if its not connecting.

Though your experience seem suspect since any IT person with their salt would have tried nfs or afp for sharing if they were having issues with SMB.

That said  merry xmas and happy newyear.

raymosc wrote:

Update went well, all new features working except…

No SiriusXM listed under services, am I looking in the wrong place?

Maybe it’s not available in the US?

All of the other new services are there except SiriusXM.

It looks like its only supported in Canada and the USA so it should be there. Try a factory reset or a location reset. I think it needs a paid subscription.

This firmware release is a good new, more services become avalaible, DTS HD is now supported. I have installed it successfuly but since it’s installation I can’t stream no more mp4 video from windows media player (DLNA) to the WDTVlive. So new update please to fix it. If no is there a way to downgrade to the previous firmware (i still have a copy of it)

Techflaws wrote:

BlackDragon24 wrote:

You’ve gotta stream it using Plex Media Server’s DLNA server :).  No need to mess with network shares.

Yeah, I misspoke. I connected via shares and the file played fine. When I connected via media server I got the message “no media available” despite the file being in the Plex media library. Weird.

I’ve given up on it for now.  Not a big deal.  I just re-installed Serviio for the WDTV and turned off the PLEX DLNA server. Now the PLEX clients get what they need and the WDTV gets what it needs.