New Release - WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Firmware Version 2.01.86 (12/10/13)

KAD79 wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:
This update is a little different. It rebooted my WDTV four times, not the usual three.

Usual:
reboot 1 then download begins.
Reboot 2 then firmware installs
Reboot 3 is up and running.

This time, there is a second firmware install and reboot after reboot 2 above.

that’s interesting and makes me wonder what they are really doing, there’s always a ton of stuff not in the release notes

maybe they are doing a bootloader update or something else substantial, possibly required for DTS-MA hardware key, etc

can’t be a simple kernel & firmware update

those have always been done together with the normal 3 reboots

just a thought

1. my update only did 3 reboots, not 4

but anyways, I’ve never paid much attention to official update files

but since it’s mentioned

it does show 1/2 and then 2/2

I’m pretty sure 1/2 if flashing the .bin file

and 2/2 is flashing the .bi2 file

this is the same procedure b-rad used on prior devices, when there was no more room on the main memory block for firmware enhancements

the firmware gets split into 2 files and written to 2 different blocks

anyways, just a theory, but I’m pretty sure WD is doing the same thing

Thanks for the update.  I didn’t see anything about the resolution issue being fixed or the messy sorting of episodes (1, 10,11 instead of 01, 02, 03). Doesn’t seem like there’s much else of interest. Still, I’m always happy that the WDTV continues to be updated. 

After updating to 2.01.86 I’m finding that 90% of my videos being streamed from my ‘MyBook Live’ via DLNA are cutting out after around 20mins of playback. If I skip the videos to 23mins, the videos will simply stop.

I had no issues with this prior to the upgrade and have tested it on videos I have watched prior to upgrading.

Is anyone else having this issue?

NB: Local playback from a USB device does not cause the issue, only DLNA.

Edit: SSH’d the WD MyBook Live and restarted the DLNA server, it’s seemed to fix the issue. Odd coincidence maybe?

Well my worst fears have been realized. Im frozen on “updating firmware 0% (2/2)”

Terrified to disconnect power - Any suggestions?

WDTV Live (WDBHG70000NBK-00)

ETHERNET CONNECTION

2 attached WD drives (2tb and 3tb)

Sorry should know better:

WDTV Live (WDBHG70000NBK-00)

ETHERNET CONNECTION

2 attached WD drives (2tb and 3tb)

Someone already tested if the USB3 rear port bug has been fixed in this firmware?

I have to say that for me the update went flawlessly just using the “New Firmware” button. I can’t see any differences whatsoever, but then these days I only use the WD to play films; everything else has either no interest or too buggy to use.

I used to use BBC iPlayer, but now a better version of that is included in my BT YouView box, together with ITV, CH4, and CH5 catch-up players, which aren’t included on the WDTV box at all. I just got a Synology NAS which has a nice video player, so when I get round to working out how to stream that via my home cinema amp (I can already play direct to TV) I guess the WD gets finally ditched. It could have been a great player; fantastic features for the price, but it has just been way too buggy to love. I just want to watch films occasionally on it, but literally EVERY single time I came to use it I would be messing around with the WD box - “content source removed”, no sound, stuttering, 10 minutes updating media library (for about 20 films). By the time it became useable I’d lost enthusiasm for actually watching anything. The one thing I have never had any trouble with is actually updating the firmware. Small blessings.

That is all I want to do these days, watch movies and TV eps from the PC (wired) and deleted them once watched.

I have played with iplayer Netflix etc and and have no real use for them after the little testing when I bought this in 2012 and look better layed out and act better from a Windows PC anyhow.

At times I spend more time messing about and reseting than I do watching my media.

I have set a few extra 0-9 buttons on the remote to the new avalable fuctions like delete so I can avoid the new 2 moves sub menu to delete (though I use my Harmony One/900’s not the WD remote) so I could live with this FW if they could make it come out of standby as fast as all upto and inc 1.12.14 as its sure is snappier to use once up and running since 1.16.13.

Also would be nice to know what going on with deleting files, it it a bug or meant to need manual refresh now, I am unsure as some FW’s it is one way and others the other way and sometimes both.

Upgraded my box over wifi earlier today without any problems.

Can someone explain how the new ‘3 hour auto shutdown’ power saving mode works?

Does it shut down after the box has been switched on for 3 hours, or after 3 hours of inactivity?

Does it just put the box into ‘standby’ mode, or does it literally power down the entire box?

This firware is good, very good

AT LAST THEY FIXED YOUTUBE CRASH  :slight_smile:

and they fixed the first start but where if you go to youtube there was no sound, you had to play a video file first to fix this… fixed

what is not fixed is other new services now have no sound if you play them straight from start-up, you have to play a video file first to get sound in some online services

WHAT WD UPDATE killed,… youtube now has no pc browser remote control at all

if you load youtube, then you can not log in to the remote control ip address, if you have the remote control ip website up before you run youtube it wont work

also the new youtube search is bad

why not let us decide is we want our search to be abc123 or qwerty???

and still no .pdf support

and one thing i was hoping for was let the remote movement keys move the mouse pointer in the internet browser

I was hoping for a fix to the webinterface RSS feeds problems in the previous firmware, where you´d have to reboot the device to get them updated, putting feeds into folders would delete the subscriptions, and trying to add them again afterwards in the root would not work before a factory reset.

Now it´s all of a sudden gotten worse!

The new firmware has the custom RSS subscriptions listed in a folder named “News feeds”, but it´s not showing those that are in the webinterface after you update the firmware.

Allright I thought, it´s just a matter of doing a factory reset. So I did, and suddenly I was able to add a subscription. Luckily I only have about 8 of those, so adding them all again was not a big problem.

However, when going back to the WDTV after doing so, there were no subscriptions at all - not even the one that showed at first.

This really is frustrating - making a bug grow when it´s supposed to get fixed.

EDIT:

Workaround found! After adding a subscription, you have to click save one by one. So you cannot add 10 subscriptions and then save them afterwards, as this will erase them all as described above.

I think this is acceptable, not least because now I did not have to restart the device to see new subscriptions as I would have to with the previous firmware. I don´t know yet if the subscriptions themselfes automatically will update their content without a restart, but I may come back to you later on that.

EDIT:

Yes! Subscriptions update without the need to reboot the WDTV!

EDIT:

I tried to add a folder in the webinterface. Result: Not showing up under the subscriptions when using the WDTV. Then dragged content into it. Content showed up, but in the root. Folders are then actually disabled now, but at least when deleting the content within them and the folders themselfes, the rest of the subscriptions don´t disappear as well.

I just updated to the new firmware all went well

Before the update i could see a windows file share from my PC now after the update I cannot

I can see the media server on the PC on the WD player but not the file share apart from rolling back to old firmware what else can I do

I have reset the WD twice - still no windoes file share

After you search in YoutubeLB and play a video, the next/previous videos are not from the search list.

If you press next/prev or if the video ends, you get more videos from the same video poster, not from your search list,

Please fix this and also enable the BACK button to leave YTLB.

No windows shares after update:

try to disable windows firewall, search for windows shares, enable windows firewall again.

Did the trick for me after update

Just mess (off/on) with the various setting that are related to networking and sharing on the WD, not the PC if you never changed anything on PC.

Do not waste time setting all your setting till you have that working.

That is how I finally got mines to work and it would be again if I reset the WD.

No clue why its only since this FW this issue arrises.

1 Like

During update, the device was stuck on a “Rebooting”-screen. After 15 minutes I decided to apply the Russian Method (;)), and now it’s working.

Since this isn’t a widely reported problem its very likely got one of two options here.

The first being your device is faulty and the second being there is a issue with your setup which seems the more likely.

You seem to want to blame the firmware rather then track down the cause .

Most routers don’t hand off services very well and some are much worse then others at doing it…my linksys 3200 comes to mind it was a major pain.

This is why when you do a fimrware upgrade its always smart to restart both the router and sharing device.

I had a nas that flat out refused to showup on the wd after a upgrade until i rebooted booth the router and the nas.

You sent it to Siberia :slight_smile:

Did the FW update right from the UI with no problems at all. Everything seems to be working fine. I am hardwired as opposed to WiFi on that device. I am wondering if that is the issue that some folks are having with the live DL.

Good Luck to all

-P

I attempted to update the firmware last night and it has left my device stuck in a rebooting loop.

I was doing a wireless connection-firmware update. It downloaded the file but when it restarted, it just sits at the wd tv logo screen for about 20seconds then reboots.

I tried connecting to different tvs and putting the firmware on a usb but nothing changes.

I;ve tried the reset button too. nothing happening.

Very frustrating, at this stage, i am basically just left with a useless device.

Anyone been stuck in these reboot-loops before?