New Release - WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Firmware Version 2.01.86 (12/10/13)

adiabatic wrote:>  If I cut power to the WDL then turn the outlet on the next morning, when I start the WDL it boots twice.  Once with the splash screen, then it reboots with the splash screen and the connecting to network message below that.  

That’s not rebooting twice.  The video goes blank during video handshaking with HDMI or switchover to composite.   And it’s done that since the box first shipped.

The box boots with a burned-in video configuration (HDMI will always send 720p.)  As soon as the firmware is loaded, the box loads the user configuration and resets the video output.

Ah OK, thanks.  I’m still learning the quirks of this device and finding information here.  It takes so long to handshake that I didn’t think of that as a possibility.

I noticed that my facebook notification doesn’t load… :frowning:

Rolled back to 1.16.13 and everything works again.

Network access sucked in 2.x. Especially NFS (Linux).

marlar wrote:

Rolled back to 1.16.13 and everything works again.

Network access sucked in 2.x.

Same here.  2.01.86 was a constant battle of re-entering network credentials for my Windows shares.  1.16.13 works perfectly.

1 Like

Bug found

No audio when starting to play a ISO based upon how it was started in the UI.

The ISO is on a network (samba) share within a folder.

If you attempt to play the ISO in the following manner:

VIDEOS

NAVIGATE TO NETWORK SHARE

PLACE CURSOR OVER, BUT DO NOT ENTER, DESIRED FOLDER (Which contains the ISO file)

PRESS PLAY

A dialog in the top-left corner shows dolby audio, but there is no actual audio.

This method used to work fine in previous firmware versions.

But…

If you attempt to play the ISO in the following manner:

VIDEOS

NAVIGATE TO NETWORK SHARE

NAVIGATE TO DESIRED FOLDER

PRESS “OK” TO ENTER FOLDER

NAVIGATE TO ISO FILENAME AND PRESS “OK”

The same dolby audio dialog appears, and you do have audio.

Resetng by pulling the power does not effect this.

Whats wrong with youtube sound in this newest firmware ?

Sometimes YTLN will start without sound.

Only way to get sound back is to turn WDTV power off (remove power cord).

I reported it here: Youtube LeanBack - Many new bugs after FW update 2.01.86

I don’t know if it’s a network issue but suddenly my SMP started a Reset Loop. On v2.01.86 since several days ago w/o any issue, it started while playing a movie via DLNA.

Basically my player is unusable as of now as it never gets to the main screen to rollback to prev firmware version.

Any help? Thx, Wolf

(posted my issue at http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issues/WDTV-Live-Streaming-gen-3-Reboot-cycle-when-connected-to-network/idc-p/669021#M7410)

The latest release screwed up my player.  I had to revert to an earlier firmware version, and all the trouble that entailed, before getting back into business.  (I know this post lacks specifics but I wanted to let them know there is one more negative.)  How can WD release such buggy firmware?  I am “reasonably” adept at techy stuff, but there is no way I could recommend this unit to someone who just wants to switch on and watch.

1 Like

I have problems with nfs shares since I applied this firmware.

My config: WD MBL 3TB (02.43.03-022) → TP-Link 1043ND (OpenWrt AA 12.09) → WDTV SMP (2.01.86)

I can browse and start any media file (movie, music) via nfs, but after about a half an hour WDTV freezes, and the only way to make it work again is a full power cycle. This problem appears with nfs shares only (no problem with smb), and with this firmware version only (I did rollback to 1.16.13, this unreliability disappeared).

Could anybody advice how to resolve it, please ?

Thank you in advance.

For anyone having trouble seeing your Windows Network Shares, I had the very same problem and after trying every possible way to fix this (including anything mentioned in this thread) and nothing seemed to work, I decided to go into “Files” instead of “Videos” to connect to the Windows Network Share and it picked my shares up instantly!! After it was set up (username + password) and I was able to see the files, I went back to the “Videos” section and now it picked it up instantly as well. It sounds almost too simple to be true, but it worked for me.

I’m using windows network share, but for some odd reason it will disconnect after a few hours of idle (I always use files BTW).

Sometimes it will reconnect, sometimes I have to restart the device. It tells me unable to connect for some reason. I tried resetting my device and router, restart my PC, but still no resolve. Its no biggie, but its really annoying if I have to do it every time I wanna watch something, which is everyday. So I rolledback to 1.14, and the annoying disconnecting is gone.

@BrueFrame: Unfortunately I had to rollback as well. It seemed like it was working, but the same happened to me, after a few hours it lost the Windows share and didn’t want to re-connect.

i’ve problems to resume video after turn off completely the unit :confounded:

aiace wrote:

i’ve problems to resume video after turn off completely the unit :confounded:

Already discussed here

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/question-on-resume-function-for-movies/m-p/654991/highlight/true#M26934

Someone at WD needs a huge kick up the you know what. I have 3 of these units connected wirelessly to a router and playing media off my Windows 7 PC. Until this firmware update they have worked almost flawlessly. It was a relief to read that I am not alone with the network issues. Pity I wasted so much time swapping units around and rebooting my computer and router all for no reason. PLEASE HURRY UP AND FIX THE FIRMWARE…and check it properly first this time.

I know you shouldn’t have to do this but have you tried rolling back to the previous firmware?

After struggling with my brand new unit for two weeks and getting hacked off with all the problems I was having I tried rolling back and the difference it made has been amazing! Sure I’ve had one crash when exiting YouTube but considering the unit crashed almost daily with YouTube and Daily Motion on the latest firmware it can’t hurt.

So like many many others here, after a month of issues I gave in and did a roll-back to last version due to:

forever getting " content source has been removed" when idle after connecting to Media library thru wifi N

Media library cannot resume playing most videos, though did get one working.

Media library favourite functionality fails, kept adding new identical entries to list but none marked with a purple heart.

new lean Youtube app a) not only looks awful but b) can almost never play from Android YouTube app (ie. via Chrome interface) and c) leaks memory like a sieve so get new memory low warnings! Is this beta ware or what!?

BBC iPlayer now seems to have problems with network server access that I think might be client side. It certainly does not handle reconnect well: sometimes it does resume, sometimes restarts video forgetting where it is, sometimes just dumps u back at top level after “server error” dialogue appears.

Wifi power appears artificially high now (4 bars). After roll-back it has gone back to 2 or 3 it usually had for last 18 months.

But I did like the new remote shortcuts to Services feature that was added – silently!

So no fix issued end of last month and WD have somehow left us with a complete mess. This should never have been allowed out the door. Did anyone do regression testing on it or just add a dozen useless Services and use us as beta testers.

I couldn’t recommend platform to anyone these days because of this lack of stability.

I have to agree, these ‘updates’ are not helping to solve problems, just introducing new one.

I have a brand new unit, expected  it to work straight out of the box.

Evertime that blasted orange circle goes aroung the closer the box gets to the bin, and WD’s reputation takes another downward spiral.

trying one more ‘rollback’ then out it goes, and WD will never darken my door again.