New Release - WD TV Live Plus Firmware Version 1.06.42 (1/17/13)

R_Daneel - if I were you I would sit down and relax before you go totally off your head.

R_Daneel wrote:> Who was it that suggested patience?..Mike?..or was it Job? Ya get the feeling that we should have read the sign on this forums door more carefully BEFORE we entered…t

My suggestion to use “patience” was to the unlucky and hapless folks who have installed this version of firmware. and are experiencing problems  No matter what version of firmware has been installed (a good or bad one), I found there are certain steps to take (before and after install) to assure things will go smoothly.  Indeed, even if I just reboot my system, sometimes shares do not show right away, and now that I know a pretty good reason why this happens, I can be “more patient” waiting for the desired results, and they come.

I have hung around this forum long enough now, that I can sniff out “danger” when it comes to firmware updates.  ANY new firmware for this unit since Version 1.05.04_B has indicated that it is hazardous to my Live Plus, so I remain using that version.  The version that followed, (Version 1.06.16_B) got enough “bad reviews”, and I avoided it.  The poor execution of that earlier firmware is precisely why we have a current new update. 

And, this part I do not get:  

People who are not having success with the latest firmware  are being requested by WD to downgrade to Version 1.06.16_B — a pretty lousy (but not deadly) firmware.  Now, why can’t they go back to the version before that  (1.05.04_B)?  Because, they might brick the player!  DUH!  This whole experience has become a comedy of errors. 

I LIKE my Live Plus, and I’d LIKE it to continue working well.  I “get” that, but I’m not sure WD does.

@richUK…TOO LATE! LOL…don’t mind me…I’m the guy that was caught re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic….in the nick of time.

@mik27oct…enjoyed your comments and reflections…I’m on 1.06.16_B…and you say you like v1.05.04_B better?..I’m not familiar with that version can you say why you like it better?..IF you have the time of course. There are occasions when my WDTV devices using v1.06.16_B just get lost and can’t find any of the other computers on my LAN. I’ve updated most of my 8 computers to Windows 7 64 bit but I have two older desktops and one laptop that are running Windows XP 32 bit, the laptop accesses the network via a wireless connection. I had to keep the 32 bit machines as some of the pricey hardware I own, graphics stuff, will ONLY work with a 32 bit system. What I’ve noticed, purely by trial and error and NOT by any knowledge and understanding I have of networking which is nearly NONE!..is that if I turn on one of the 32 bit XP computers on my LAN it will, for reasons beyond my understanding, allow ALL the devices to recognize each other. But on other occasions I may not turn the XP computers on for days and everything works fine…intermittent problems are the worst to deal with and I suspect that the WD is NOT the ONLY device in a LAN that can cause communication between devices to be lost, of that I’m sure.

When I first posted about not rolling back it was to not roll back straight from 1.06.41/42 to 1.05.04 or lower.  You could definitely try rolling back from 1.06.16 to 1.05.04.  People were doing that when we released 1.06.16, and nobody bricked their drives devices then.  However, I must add, this is still at your own risk.

Bill_S wrote:

When I first posted about not rolling back it was to not roll back straight from 1.06.41/42 to 1.05.04 or lower.  You could definitely try rolling back from 1.06.16 to 1.05.04.  People were doing that when we released 1.06.16, and nobody bricked their drives then.  However, I must add, this is still at your own risk.

Bill, did you mean to say, “. . . and nobody bricked their media players then.” — instead of “drives”?

mike27oct wrote:


Bill_S wrote:

When I first posted about not rolling back it was to not roll back straight from 1.06.41/42 to 1.05.04 or lower.  You could definitely try rolling back from 1.06.16 to 1.05.04.  People were doing that when we released 1.06.16, and nobody bricked their drives then.  However, I must add, this is still at your own risk.


Bill, did you mean to say, “. . . and nobody bricked their media players then.” — instead of “drives”?

Thanks Mike.  That’s what I meant to say.

Bill, if it is OK to go back to v 1.05.04 versions for the Live and Live Plus, why don’t you guys repost that version with a great big disclaimer and full instructions of how to do the backtracking.  I am sure many would appreciate it.

I really do not think going back to even older versions would be useful, as 1.05.04 had fewer problems that its predecessors did, IMO.

I will look into it.  Right now, because we don’t support rolling back to anything before 1.06.16, I can’t just post a link (which I don’t have anyway).

Right now after the upgrade, my WD TV Live Plus boxes do not update the time.

They both are at the end of 1999.

Actually in the morning EST the time sets to current normally.

In the evening EST the time update does not work most evenings.

When the time is not set to current date and time, Netflix does not work.

Allow us to set the time and ntp server manually.

Bill_S wrote:> I have not heard any official word on this being the final release.  But, personally, I would assume that it is. 

Bill, I sincerely hope that WD does not consider this as the final release. I know it is unreasonable to expect every single bug to be fixed, but there are two very serious errors in this release that cannot be ignored.

  1. Network shares do not show up and/or cannot connect and/or are unreliable.

  2. Files are randomly being turned into folders on attached drives.

These problems are not affecting everyone, but the forums are overloaded with people complaining about these two issues. These are not minor bugs that can be ignored. These are serious errors that should be fixed quickly!

@R_Daneel

  I’m on 1.06.16_B…and you say you like v1.05.04_B better?..I’m not familiar with that version can you say why you like it better?..IF you have the time of course


I mentioned why in a later post, so again briefly, simply because it works fine and has less bugs than any firmware before or after it.

BTW, none of us have the time to deal with this forum; we do so (at least I do) for self-defense – so that I don’t put a new firmware on my player until I have observed the casualties and either attributed them to bad firmware or “user error”.  So far, “bad firmware” appears to be winning the votes.

This thread, and recent similar ones before, have been riddled with “first time callers”; i.e. people who are making their first post or two only because their player got trashed by the firmware update.  This is quite disconcerting.

Mike…once again thanks for the feedback…would you happen to know if that version you like is available for download?

Thanks

For old firmware you could try here. You have to register to gain access.
http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showforum=154
To use this firmware to downgrade you will need to edit the ver file with notepad and make the version greater than the firmware currently on your player.

I would go back to 1.06.16 first of all and then rollback to the one you want.
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

Hi richUK…thanks very much for the link…I rolled back to 1.06.16 after my last failed “experiment”  to get the latest firmware working. I DO hope they can come up with a stable fix for it, one of the things I noticed when using it, which I think I mentioned previously, is the ability to just QUIT out of Netflix WITHOUT having to answer the NAG question…“are you sure you want to leave Netflix?”…small point but we have an after market remote that with the push of ONE button it shuts down everything, the TV, the audio receiver and the WD device all at once…UNLESS you’re in Neflix, in which case the WD remains on and you have to turn everything back on to negotiate your way out.! LOL…as I say a small point but it can get annoying when it’s late night and all you want to do is surrender to a good nights sleep.

For the power off when you are in Netflix I have added as a power off command for WD TV live

the arrow to go on YES, OK and the Power toggle.

In the latest firmware, Netflix does not ask for exit confirmation.

aotoni wrote:

I have the same problem.

The device is conected to the internet, but after this upgrade can not connect to the Network Shares.

 

Hope to received a new firmware soon…

Did you ever reset your network?

Bill_S wrote:


aotoni wrote:

I have the same problem.

The device is conected to the internet, but after this upgrade can not connect to the Network Shares.

 

Hope to received a new firmware soon…


Did you ever reset your network?

Bill, I have been suggesting this a lot to people here, but your comment is the first from anyone at WD.

Is this the official “suggested” solution for this problem from WD, or only your personal suggestion?

The folks here really need some feedback from WD.  The company reacted rather quickly when the disasterous firmware was released and got yanked immediately, but this time there is mostly silence.  Meanwhile, people are still suffering from firmware upgrade woes.

I know, Mike.  We are actually looking into this right now.

We are still looking into these network issues.  In order to help us determine what may be going on, we are asking those of you having network share issues to reset your devices once more.  To make sure that you are correctly resetting both your device and your network, please follow the instructions below in the order that they are given.  Once you have done the resets, please come back and post what happened.

To reset device and network:

1-      Please go into Settings

2-      Go to System Settings

3-      Select “Reset to factory defaults” (My additional step)

4-      Select OK

5-      Allow reset to take place

6-      Go to Settings

7-      Go to Network Settings

8-      Select “Network Setup”

9-      Select “Automatic” or “Manual” (depending on your connection)

10-   If “automatic” is selected, please wait until network setup is complete

11-   If “manual” is selected, please enter address info, select finish and allow setup to complete

12-   At this point, you should be able to view your Network Shares.

If you are now able to access your shares, excellent. However, if still have problems accessing your shares, could you please also post answers to the following questions:

-          Are your shares private or public?

-          Have you attempted to reset to factory defaults?

-          Do your shares connect or disconnect after a power cycle?

-          How long did you wait for the share to appear, before giving up?  If you didn’t wait very long (1-2 minutes), could you try leaving it for 5-10 minutes.

As has been stated here in the community, you might want to restart your computer, if your shares are located on that computer.