New Release - WD TV Live Plus Firmware Version 1.06.42 (1/17/13)

Una pega es que al expulsar los dispositivos se queda dando vueltas un buen rato…

One downside is that the drive devices remains a good time hanging around …

Okay, applied the update and can no longer connect to network shares – totally broken.  I’ve rebooted the PC and the media player and reset the network settings several times.

Unacceptable and amateurish.  When will this be fixed?

@pdb1975…you ask…“When will this be fixed?”

Don’t hold your breath my friend…here’s a comment from the last disastrous upgrade WD posted…pay particular attention to the date as it will give you some indication as to WHEN this will be fixed…and I quote:

Re: New Release - WDTV Live Plus Firmware Version 1.06.34_B (9/24/12) 

‎09-24-2012 02:44 PM  - edited ‎09-24-2012 02:49 PM

DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS UPGRADE!

Loading delays for MKV and MP4 files (the only formats I’ve tried) have gone from a few seconds to a couple of minutes.  Other sources may give different results, but for video files this firmware is an…

UNQUALIFIED DISASTER!

Hopefully this will be fixed soon, as the Youtube upgrade will make that source much more usable. But no feature would outweigh this…

CRIPPLING OF VIDEO FILE PLAYBACK CAPABILITY

What was WD thinking?

The Network Share issue was ALSO a problem with the 1.06.34_b firmware update and they STILL haven’t “fixed” it. The first time was bad enough…but a second time?..as the poster stated What was WD thinking?..answer…cleary they are devoting very little of their time in THINKING!

Here is the issue I’m having on all of my boxes with the new firmware:

If I am playing a video and pause it for an extended length of time (>10 minutes for example), then when I go to play the video file again, it will hesitate and pull up the “Unable to play file, see supported file types” error screen.  It will then kick me back to the video selection screen BUT it will continue to play the audio of the unpaused video in the background.  If I click on the video file in the list, it will then go back to the video playing without stopping (and be matched up with the audio that was playing in the background).  

The weird part is that now there will be a “processing” circle moving in the center of the screen while the video is playing.  It will not go away and the box will become non-responsive to any other button presses except for the power off.  

I’m not sure if this helps, but this issue is quite maddening.  

Well, somehow I managed to avoid the network sharing issue so many have run into.  That’s horrible.  For me, I have run into a recurring issue that comes and goes with the various firmware upgrades.

Once again, this upgrade has for some unexplainable reason, boosted my black levels.  I have an expensive plasma television with inky blacks, and now the WD box displays blacks as a dark grey.  This of course reduces the contrast ratio of the picture making everything look hazy or cloudy or milky.  The problem is apparent in the menus as well as the streaming video it plays back.

Very disappointing, but at least I still have access to my network. 

Well I have rolled back to 16_B and at least that has cured the hanging on playback.

Has anyone found a single improvement in the new firmware that would make it worth installing if WD fix the problems?

Previously, I wrote that rebooting my master PC resolved the Network Share problem.  But it appears to only have done so for the first time that I turned the WDTV Live on, after the reboot.  Today, I needed to rerun Network Setup in the WDTV again.  I’m about to rollback to the previous firmware version.

I have the same problem.

The device is conected to the internet, but after this upgrade can not connect to the Network Shares.

Hope to received a new firmware soon…

hi

thank you for the quick and clear answer :slight_smile:

i recommend everybody who use the wd tv live hd to rollback to version 1.04.31_v  this is by far the most reliable sw version, and for sure there is bugs. but all main functions works well.

regards

rikard

I’ve rolled my player back to 1.06.16_B and network shares is still broken.  I keep getting “no media in folder” no matter what folder I pick.  I’ve rebooted the PC and reset the player to factory settings – no go.

What am I supposed to do now?  Where can I download this 1.04.31_v firmware?  Thanks!

@pb1975…you may want to keep the opening post in mind before you rollback…

New Release - WD TV Live Plus Firmware Version 1.06.42 (1/17/13)

Thursday 

WD is happy to announce our latest firmware update for the WD TV Live Plus Media Player.
Very Important: Rolling back to version 1.05.04 or earlier may break your WDTV.

No bbc iplayer any more on WDTV? What happened?

Re BBC iPlayer, you have a live player and this is the firmware thread for the live plus.
It seems that iPlayer did not make it into this release. You can go back to recent public beta which included iPlayer.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Networking/New-Release-WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Version-1-06-43-1-17-13/m-p/533211/highlight/true#M17041

Tel19 wrote:

Well I have rolled back to 16_B and at least that has cured the hanging on playback.

Has anyone found a single improvement in the new firmware that would make it worth installing if WD fix the problems?

This upgrade fixed the bug where my WD box would flip into purple mode when cycling away from this video input, then returning to it. I always had to go into the audio/video settings and click through them (changing nothing) to flip the picture back to normal again.  Annoying, but not devestating.  Happy to be done doing that.

More significantly, this upgrade is successfully streaming *all* my flac music files.  I was pleased about that for sure.  The previous version failed on most (but oddly, not all) my flac files. 

Well, this broke AVI playback for me, which was fine with the .16b firmware. Not sure why I upgraded since things were fine, but now AVI files take almost 30 seconds to play, and if you seek the video forward or backward, it takes another 30 seconds to resume.

I find that resuming playback of any file format is much slower as well vs the old firmware, takes about 5-10 seconds for any file, even low res mp4’s.

The only way I can get Network Shares to work is to go into the network setup and select Automatic each and every time I turn on the box (not a problem for the old firmware).

I don’t have usb stick atm so I can’t go back to the old firmware.

Fail.

I had the same problem. I did a factory reset and entered in new share logon info - the network shares worked.  I havent been able to get the media shares working though.

After insatlling the latest up date firmware 1.06.42_B,my wifi connection has stopped working,but the WD live plus runs fine hard wired. I would like to run it wifi,any ideas???

Thanks

Pete

EDIT2: apologies. Wrong forum. I have the WDTV Live HD. Not the plus.
EDIT: setup: WD connected thru network switch to powerline ethernet adaptors to router.
WD MyBook World Edition NAS attached to router - Network Share anonymous/no password.
No requirement for PC

Having network shares auto logon ON in network setup completely disables my WD TV Live HD’s ability to access network shares.

If set to OFF, the device will ask to log on to network share every time. Annoying, but now network shares somewhat functional.

Alternatively, auto setup network in network settings every boot. Once again, annoying but functional.

I tried this sequence:

• Clear Logon information
  • Set Auto Logon to OFF
  • Settings - Network Settings - Network Setup - Auto
  • Connect to shares with proper credentials
  • Set Auto Logon to ON

This yielded:
Device saved network share details for 1 soft power cycle (from remote control), network shares worked fine, then failed with no response to selecting network shares icon on subsequent soft power cycles.

I thought this may just be an aberration so tried again.

The device saved the network shares info for 2 soft power cycles then failed on selecting network shares icon of the 3rd cycle.

Very disappointed.

EDIT: Relented and rolled back firmware and blocked access to support.wdc.com to WD Live thru router.

Until last night when I installed the latest upgrade 1.06.43 v I had Iplayer . After installing this supposed upgrade I don’t. I have tried to solve this by installing the earlier version but its still not there. We used the IPlayer a lot of late and am not happy at all that this is now not available. Why would WD remove IPlayer in an upgrade.  I hope that you can issue another version quickly. As I am getting a lot of pleasure to get another media player from someone else. 

Have same problem. Clicked Automatic, which makes network shares available. However, when WDTV device is turned off, it forgets network login info and I have to repeat setup / Automatic each time. This is new problem since updating formware to 1.06.42