New Release - WD TV Live Plus Firmware Version 1.06.42 (1/17/13)

@Alucardx23

I suggest you research what the PRESIDENT of India had to say about the QUALITY of “tec” help his countrymen are providing to the rest of the world. His comments were a LOT more damaging and negative than mine. I’ve been speaking with “tec” help from India for about TEN years, well over one hundred calls for various software and hardware issues…I have not gotten ONE helpful response….NOT ONE! I thought I had been given a REAL solution to a problem about a month ago…but alas in the end it was another FAIL. As for China…they remind me of Japan just after WWII…their products were a JOKE…it took them decades to achieve the kind of quality they are KNOWN for today I suspect that China will follow that lead…in the mean time I have piles of “made in China” garbage piling up around my house…I am NOT amused…and prefer NOT to be treated as a guinea pig for amateur manufacturer’s. I’m funny that way….:wink:

With regard to your comment… “some of the best software developers are from India” that may be true BUT….they AIN’T talking to me bub…LOL that I can guarantee you!

Take care…myself?..I’m off to research replacements for my WDTV Live Plus boxes, which I have FOUR of…whoever designed the hardware and software needs a lesson in quality control…to say the least.

signed…Dr Acula :wink:

1 Like

I discovered a bug with the previous Beta and it carried into this one. I used to have this jerking of the MKV movies at various spots, and it had been cured by chosing Auto settings on the WD box. The problem came back and choosing Auto does not fix it. 

As for the network issues, I had to refresh the network settings and it picked up the NAS afterwards.

I found the 34 beta firware to be better than the last beta and this one.

I have yet to confirm if the subtitles come on by default even with default as OFF.

I think  I have the 43 firmware so maybe my last comment was ment for that conversation. Regardless, I have a Plus box with the latest one that came in automatically.

No More Network Shares  Windows XP…

Need to do a software factory reboot.

But no good for wired network 1080p movies. Going back to previous.

R_Daneel

wrote

As for China…they remind me of Japan just after WWII…their products were a JOKE…it took them decades to achieve the kind of quality they are KNOWN for today I suspect that China will follow that lead…in the mean time I have piles of “made in China” garbage piling up around my house…I am NOT amused…and prefer NOT to be treated as a guinea pig for amateur manufacturer’s. I’m funny that way….:wink:

With regard to your comment… “some of the best software developers are from India” that may be true BUT….they AIN’T talking to me bub…LOL that I can guarantee you!

Take care…myself?..I’m off to research replacements for my WDTV Live Plus boxes, which I have FOUR of…whoever designed the hardware and software needs a lesson in quality control…to say the least.

signed…Dr Acula :wink:

https://securityblog.verizonbusiness.com/2013/01/14/case-study-pro-active-log-review-might-be-a-good-idea/

Out of interest where do you find another box not made in China. Thats why you’ve got loads of stuff from China in your house. I would say you are funny in some way as it seems that you cannot stop yourself buying it.

Where are Apple products made?

Heheh… That’s fantastic. Probably got the idea from the movie Outsourced. Fantastic movie!

upgraded to new firmware today now I have no optical out…any suggestions

TonyPh12345 wrote:
Heheh… That’s fantastic. Probably got the idea from the movie Outsourced. Fantastic movie!

In some papers they say he should have been promoted. Note that there were not unhappy about ‘his’ work.

@ richUK

You seem to be suggesting that consumers should be happy with products manufactured to POOR quality standards…and further they should not mention such worrisome FACTS…now that IS funny! LOL

Apple???..surely you’re not defending this company’s Chinese manufacturing practices…or are you? Not into paying slave wages to children myself but if that’s what floats your boat?..there’s little I can do to mend your ways. LOL

I realize Apple has for all intents and purposes a monopoly on some of the technology they manufacture but in so far as I am able I never purchase products from this company…

This discussion is getting off topic.  Please refrain from posting near-slanderous accusations.  I really don’t want to have to start pulling posts.  And, let’s keep it civil, respectful with each other.

1 Like

Just Reboot your _MSBROWSE_  computer.

Instructions here.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Networking/Troubleshooting-Windows-File-Sharing/m-p/92642#U92642

Not as complicated as it looks, surprised WDC did not alert people to reboot you main database network computer after any firmware upgrade where you want to use NETSHARES

1 Like

Well so much for the brilliant software update because we are/were in exactly the same poition as shannan, we also wasted several house trying unsuccessfully to input numbers and passwords and NOTHING worked, we are now in the process of rolling back the firmware.

Sad thing is we have 2 WD TV Live boxes and thankfully we only did one so we still have one that works and we won’t be updating that:confounded:

As someone on this forum stated before who the sh*t do they get to do these firmware updates ??? WD should be disgusted with themselves for releasing a version of firmware update that renders peoples  WD TV useless and I as well as many others will be searching for another brand when or if this one dies:angry:

firmware rolled back to pervious version and works perfectly now, still piffed that soemone released a useless firmware update:angry:

Hi,

Downloaded Firmware 1.06.42 yesterday  - now nothing works. Can’t even get  WDTV live to open.

Please can anyone tell me how to roll this “upgrade” back.

Thanks

Alajbo

Hi, Sorry about the post (newbie) . The answer was in an earlier post.

alajbo

i’ve tried and wasted time again but i will post this for other users information, tried unsuccessfully to upgrade 1 unit that uses a dlink dwa-160 wireless network adaptor, no matter what i tried wouldn’t find the network so i updated the other one with a dlink-140 wireless network adaptor and that one works, whoopie

but for those who have the same dlink dwa-160 if you get the same trouble just roll back to the earlier firmware, works again

hi

sorry for that im a bit upset, mostly my own fault. i should have learned that the western digital software guys are not qualified to write proper software. EVERY time there is a new sw release for my wd tv hd live. there is major bugfixes. but it is also introduced a whole bunch of NEW bugs, hilarious!!!

i use it to mainly play movies with dvd structure VOB format, using “network shares” from either my comuter or nas. i have used version 1.04.31_v. because this was the only one that showed witch subtitle you had choosed ON screen. going to the next release sw. you can swap subtitles as normal, but your choice is not visible. yes you can think this is not a big problem. but my whole movie library is for many reasons saved with dvd stucture. and some have 10-15 subtiles. and if you cannot se what you have choosen. and have to wait to they say something in the movie to be able to see witch subtitle you have selected. YOU GET CRAZYYY. and even if this 1.04.31_v sw version introduced some problem with hdcp, and turn my screen pink(and NO it is not wrongly setup regarding colourspace or resolution) if i don’t start up the wd first, then my screen. it solves a whole bunch of troubles that i got if i installed versions after 1.04.31_v. in my opinion and in my setup and way to use the wd. this version works best. 

so i have used the wd for years with this working 1.04.31_v even if im promted to upgrade the sw, everytime i turn on my wd. but now there was a final release and i did an upgrade, without spend one hour reading on internet first. which i SHOULD have done. now i run the latest one. and it don’t see my network shares from windows 7 computers?? and im 100% sure ther is other things not working either. AND IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO ROLLBACK TO A VERSION THAT WORKS!!! SERIOSLY?? i demand wd’s r&d to get back to me with instructions how to rollback the sw to 1.04.31_v. im a electronic service engineer. so im able to perform hardware changes to it if neccesary. or is it time to just let wd forever go in the bin, and by something that works? you tell me…

regards

rikard ligander

you can “downgrade” just edit the ***.ver file included with the firmware you want to rollback to. change the version= to a higher number than the present installed firmware. i.i VERSION=1.6.50.  Just remember if WD comes out with a fixed firmware that you want to load if the version isn’t higher than the nubber you chose, you will have to edite that **.ver file to be a higher number.  Oh should mention this method must be done by the USB flash upgrade technique.

Problem with “Tunein”… I can’t play CBC Radio Canada! I select local, go to SUDBURY it is 99.9. :angry:

ALSO at the same station 99.1 CBC radio one Toronto doesn’t play either. :angry:

The local Q92 (Rock) at 92.7 plays with NO Problem.:neutral_face:

cushsix wrote:

Just Reboot your _MSBROWSE_  computer.

Not as complicated as it looks, surprised WDC did not alert people to reboot you main database network computer after any firmware upgrade where you want to use NETSHARES

This worked for me.  I had the problem were my WDTV Live couldn’t access any network shares, unless I went through network setup each time that I turned my unit on.  Rebooting the primary computer in my network (the MSBROWSE computer), appears to have fixed this probem.

Unlike many others I can still access My Book on the network but now the unit hangs on playing every video.  They are all mkv files I have tried so far and they play perfectly but as soon as you select the file, the black bar comes up with the play timing at 0.00/41.36 (as usual) but stays on the screen, with no timing changes, over the video while it plays to completion.  No buttons on the remote work at all during the play or at the end of it.  At the end of the file the screen just goes black with the timing bar still showing.  The only fix is to remove the power and then power the unit back up.  Then everything seems to work perfectly until you try to play another file, then same thing, unit hangs.

Anyone else come across this?  Is the only solution to roll back?