New Release - WD SmartWare Version 2.2.1 for Windows (11/25/13)

I downloaded Smartware Installer 2.2.1.6 and it is still NOT backing up any newly created files under C:\Users\My Name.  It DOES backup folders and files located anyplace else on my C drive, but not under C:\Users.  I have two new HP Envy systems running Windows 8 and both have WD Passports connected to them.  The upgraded software does not work on either system.  I even uninstalled Smartware, formatted the Passport and started with a fresh install of V.2.2.1.6 and it only works correctly one time (the day it’s installed) by backing up all my selected folders including those under C:\Users, and from then on it quits backing up anything new created under C:\Users\My Name.  

I have sent several messages to tech support and received one message back asking me to give them a day and time for someone to call  me, which I did and no call.  I’m really disappointed and certainly can’t trust WD with my backups.  I’m still waiting for tech support to call and if I obtain any solution I’ll post it here.   

[Deleted] of WD customer support suggested that I uninstall my existing Smartware software, which I did, and then to run the re-installation “as administrator.”.  This alone did not do the trick and I kept getting the same installation error message.  But after re-booting my laptop, and again running the installation as administrator, the installation was successful.

Thanks a million, [Deleted]!!!

Toby

Hello,

WD Smartware is not backing up all files in the source:

My WD Smartware has automatically updated to version 2.2.1. I didn’t touch it since then.

And still it is not backing up all the files in the source.

My operating system is Windows 8.1. I am backing up from the D: drive to MyPassport.

Backup is configured to make a backup of certain directories. I have a root directory and only some of the subdirectories are selected for backup.

Backup plan is set to “continuous”.

Can you check how to solve this problem?

I am willing to give more details if required. I wait before reinstalling the system, such that some evidence is still there if you need more details.

Kind regards

Lieven

My installer won’t even install…v2.2.1.6 zip downloaded twice and I  get the message

Problem with the windows installer package a program run as part of the setup did not finnish as expected!!

so cannot update… :cry:

thanks for you?

I have the paid version of Smartware Pro 2.2.1 (2.2.5054.21)

The scheduling does not work correctly for me.

I have chosen a daily schedule for every day at 1:00AM.

Each day, the schedule is missed and shows up as a missed backup.

Strangely, it almost always shows the Saturday backup as the next scheduled backup (today is Wednesday, so the next should be Friday, not Saturday).

I believe the problem might be because my computer is going to sleep.

If I look in task manager, the task that smartware creates does not have the check boxes for “Conditions/Wake computer to run this task”, nor the “Settings/Run this task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed”.

(If I check these checkboxes manually, Smartware seems to uncheck them).

In any event, the software appears to NEVER start a backup on it’s own.

As such, it’s pretty much worthless.

I’m a new owner & user of the 3TB My Cloud. I can’t comment on backups working or not, as I just set up backups for my Dropbox folder in SmartWare, and will set up another to backup the My Cloud to a USB drive.

I will suggest that automatic backups to SkyDrive would be a very welcome addition, as that is where my pictures go now.

Thanks.

EDIT: Actually, now that I’m looking in to the SmartWare Pro software more, I don’t think I’m able to do what I had planned on doing:

I thought the point of having a USB port on the back of the My Cloud was so that youcould hook up another drive, and sync/backup whatever is on the My Cloud to another storage device. But I don’t see that as being an option in the software. Basically I would need the My Cloud as the “Backup Source,” but it doesn’t seem possible? Is there another way to do this?

New Passport Ultra with version 2.2.1 of WD Smartware is not backing up all new files.  Using File (not Category) backup on daily basis.

Any ideas?

Is there a utility running around on here some place that I can download that is a bootable image to look at my drive and see why it is bouncing me a PIO error at Post? I was able to boot an old UBCD but I am not able to actually view the drive as an item on task.