New Release - WD SmartWare Version 2.2.0 for Windows (8/26/2013)

Just updated to latest version of Smartware and can no longer access this function. When I click on icon I get a 5 line error message (80070422). The software worked perfectly before the update so what has gone wrong and how do I fix it?

I am using Windows Vista.

How to fix it is hopefully what WD are working on. Smartware is buggy and unreliable at the moment.

WD - Can we please have an update as to when you are going to issue a new version of Smartware that is free from the bugs and functional problems that are so widely reported in these forums?

Thanks

At this moment, all we can do is apologize for this.  However, we are working hard on getting these issues fixed.  Unfortunately, I can’t give you a time frame on this, but it will be as soon as possible. 

Is there a way to add a specific filetype to category backup?  I’m happy using category backup instead of file backup, however I would like to make sure that some of my non-standard files are getting backed up.  The knowledge base mentions an “other.xml” file for 1.6 and earlier, however I do not find this xml file on my 2.2 installation.  I’m comfortable editing xml to add filetypes, just want to make sure that this is the right way to go about it.

Incompatibility issue with downloading WD PAssport smartware software

Recently purchased a wd passport hard drive -model WDBBEPOO10BBL-PESN

Western digital said I needed to down load from their support site the latest WD Smartware software that is compatible with windows 8 ( My system is actually windows 8.1)

I downloaded their smartware no problem but on running the driver it briefly shows their half faced blue logo and then aMicrosoft  pop up box brifly flashes and everything disappears stating " config system fails to initialise"

I have right clicked on the driver to check compatibility mode and set it for administrators permission and set it for windows 8 - still no joy!

The trouble shooter after trying all the options says programme incompatible.

The Western Digital Support Technicians say their software is compatible with windows 8 and it should download easily.

I have tried and tried and tried for 5 days. Can anyone help as currently I have a WD PORTABLE 1TB portable hard drive passport with out their required software down loaded on it.

Is there anything I can do on my lap top to get it to accept the down load. Or alternatively is it a Western Digital Problem.

I have also tried opening the driver after down load with my Norton premier turned off and the fire wall temporarily turned off and the same problem exists.

e.g the Programme down loads but the driver will not config the system to initiate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jon Prosper -  Cardiff, South Wales. U.K.