New Release - WD My Cloud Firmware Release 3.04.01 (3/5/14)

NoMarky wrote:

Ralphael wrote:

is it just a slow adoption? or are there only 3 survivors?

+1
So far so good. I updated some 12 hrs ago and i just checked the user.log: the recurrent, random, wake-up is still there:

Mar  6 03:15:18 MCloud logger: exit standby after 7 (since 2014-03-06 03:15:11.128182002 +0100)
Mar  6 03:45:16 MCloud logger: exit standby after 1193 (since 2014-03-06 03:25:23.518182002 +0100)
Mar  6 04:12:04 MCloud logger: exit standby after 1003 (since 2014-03-06 03:55:21.068182002 +0100)
Mar  6 04:37:13 MCloud logger: exit standby after 904 (since 2014-03-06 04:22:09.028182002 +0100)
Mar  6 05:07:05 MCloud logger: exit standby after 1187 (since 2014-03-06 04:47:18.088182002 +0100)
Mar  6 05:36:15 MCloud logger: exit standby after 1145 (since 2014-03-06 05:17:10.028182002 +0100)
Mar  6 06:00:20 MCloud logger: exit standby after 840 (since 2014-03-06 05:46:20.048182002 +0100)
Mar  6 06:24:01 MCloud logger: exit standby after 816 (since 2014-03-06 06:10:25.038182002 +0100)
Mar  6 06:48:50 MCloud logger: exit standby after 884 (since 2014-03-06 06:34:06.058182002 +0100)
Mar  6 07:18:28 MCloud logger: exit standby after 1173 (since 2014-03-06 06:58:55.028182002 +0100)
Mar  6 07:41:50 MCloud logger: exit standby after 797 (since 2014-03-06 07:28:33.028182002 +0100)

too bad, yeah I figure so… the list included fixes that I didn’t know was broken :stuck_out_tongue: oh well… 

I did the upgrade after I disconnected the USB disk. Upon reboot, I reconnected the USB and things went south: the home dashboard was showing onky half of the capacity if the NAS, the USB disk was showing no capacity, the content scanning failed…

I rebooted, got a long blinking white light, the NAS started initializing, but timed out. I rebooted again and things look normal. I was able to complete a Safepoints update (that failed during the previous firmware update), and th system passed the quick test.

Following Tony’s advice, I had to restart the dlna media serving option for the shares to get it to update correctly.

Things look OK now.

The remote connection through www.wd2go.com web portal is STILL blocked after updating to Java™7 Update 51 on most web broswers. This feature does not work on a Mac unless you are using FireFox 27.0.1.

Google Chrom 33.0.1750.146 

Takes you to http://java.com/en/download/mac_download.jsp 

Chrome does not support Java 7 on Mac OS X. Java 7 runs only on 64-bit browsers and Chrome is a 32-bit browser.”

Safari 7.0.2

Never loads after running the Java Applet.

Does the “Manual” update now requires one to update using the UNCOMPRESSED .zip. file? In previous “Manual”  updates the instructions called for the .zip file to be uncompressed resulting in a .deb file that was then used in the firmware update process. I was about to follow the “usual” process and by accident read the LAST line in the release notes. I believe that if the firmware update procedure was changed… this change should be mentioned (hightlighted) at the begining of the “Manual” update instructions.

[DISREGARD] EDIT: My bad… The MyCloud firmware update has not required the decompression of the zip file in the past. [/DISREGARD]

EDIT 2 - I was right… the .zip file needs to be uncompressed before applying the update. The instructions at the end of the release notes are wrong:    “2. If you are using the manual update method, do not rename the firmware file or uncompress the zip file. Doing so will cause the manual update to fail.”

My 2 cents…

I only update MyCloud using the “Manual” method by using a LAN computer connected via Ethernet (wired) to avoid Internet traffic issues and wireless interference. A local “wired” connection is always more relibable (robust) and faster than a remote Internet connection or a local wireless connection. I also disconnect any USB attached devices to reduce the number of checks that  the MyCloud has to perform during the firmware update and during the first reboot after the update. In the past I have experienced issues updating the firmware of an old router that made an old USB attached drive incompatible. In other words, the old firmware version that was installed in the router supported my old USB drive and the new firmware update did not.  The firmware update process kept failing and only installed after I removed the old USB drive.

Stevie_D wrote:

Google Chrom 33.0.1750.146 

Takes you to http://java.com/en/download/mac_download.jsp 

Chrome does not support Java 7 on Mac OS X. Java 7 runs only on 64-bit browsers and Chrome is a 32-bit browser.”

Safari 7.0.2

Never loads after running the Java Applet.

That’s not for WD to fix.  That’s a (very long-standing) limitation for Google to fix – they’ve never published a 64-bit version of Chrome for Mac.  Java 7 requires 64-bit browsers.

64-bit Linux and Windows versions have existed from Day 1.

I just got my My Cloud working with a direct connection(port forward), but because of the new firmware, installed correctly, my remote access inst working anymore. Is there some way to get it back to the previous version?

Hi,

I’ve just update to the new firmware release 3.04.01-219. It took about 15 minutes, and then it started to scan all the multimedia files: this will take a lot more time. I’ ve extracted the zip file to the desktop and everything was OK. But … new firmware … old trouble?

So does the safepoint auto update option work with this new firmware release?

I do not work access to the cloud , I get ERROR

For myself and several of my friends our firmware updated automatically this morning as well as mobile apps updated yesterday and we can no longer access anything remotely. Mobile devices say unable to access device and on the hardware itself in th general cloud settings it says “Cannot establish remote access connection”. As stated everyone I know with one of these is broken today but not sure about this community. 

everyone I know that has one no longer has remote access to the device anymore after the update.

dmallor wrote:

everyone I know that has one no longer has remote access to the device anymore after the update.

I have the exact same problem…

It’s working fine for me on both my iPhone 4s and iPad 3…

Here are the three steps I used to get my cloud access back up.

First I unplugged the power to my router for one minute and then plugged it back in.

Second I unplugged my Ethernet cable at my router that runs from My Cloud to the router.

Third I turned off Cloud Access under Settings and waited a couple of minutes before turning it back on. It showed retrieving information for about five minutes and then it showed I am connected, see image below.

WDMCRemoteAccess.JPG

Initially I had issues accessing MyCloud remotely using my Nexus 7, but my Galaxy S3 was working fine. I went to the Cloud Access in the Dashboard, deleted  the Nexus 7 under cloud devices and re-added it by getting a new access code by clicking the “Get Code” button in the same Dashboard page.

This could be made a lot easier by allowing the user to give a proper names the Cloud Devices. The icon descriptor of the Cloud Device is the email address of the user, but one could have more than one of the same type of device that uses the same email address.

unbelievable… no remote connection anymore… not direct, no relay… works fine before the **bleep**ing update!!!
do you test your **bleep**???
totaly useless without remote!!!

I’ve had my FW update running for almost 20 hrs without any problems. Can connect remotely using my laptop and my tablet.

I made the mistake of enabling automatic updates.

The update completed successfully (according to the email notification).

But now, as of this morning I cannot access the drive via Windows browsing, the web UI, or SSH!! I can ping the IP address so the IP has not changed.

I suspect that when the box was restarted after the update the indexing processes (which I had stopped) have resumed and clobbered the access.

I think the only option I have now is to wait for the indexing to complete (days, weeks??) or unplug… :frowning:

Bill_S - Why release an update when the most critical problems (drive waking frequently, indexing preventing access) have not been fixed, or even acknowledged in the new release notes? Please let us know the status of these two urgent issues.

bigstorage wrote:

I made the mistake of enabling automatic updates.

The update completed successfully (according to the email notification).

But now, as of this morning I cannot access the drive via Windows browsing, the web UI, or SSH!! I can ping the IP address so the IP has not changed.

I suspect that when the box was restarted after the update the indexing processes (which I had stopped) have resumed and clobbered the access.

I think the only option I have now is to wait for the indexing to complete (days, weeks??) or unplug… :frowning:

Bill_S - Why release an update when the most critical problems (drive waking frequently, indexing preventing access) have not been fixed, or even acknowledged in the new release notes? Please let us know the status of these two urgent issues.

We’re still working on some of these.  Have you tried doing some of the recommendations above, cat0w’s in particular?

Sounds like you are using upnp on your router perhaps? I set my to automatic and manual and mine still shows “Trying to establish a remote access connection”…