New Release - WD My Cloud Firmware Release 3.03.02 (1/29/14)

After experiencing my first lockup on the original software, I updated to this new version successfully.  Hopefully this will help.

It did however trash my modifications to sudoers, so I had to fix that.

Pacific_Dollars wrote:

I was promised a 2nd level Engineer, which was not the case. When I found out I was a bit disappointed, because that is what they said they would do.

We did replicate some issues that I have with the device and came both to the conclusion I did no make up any of the issues that are occurring.

I just got an email/call for a 2nd Level Engineer for which called during my working hours. I sent an email back trying to setup a phone call for this Saturday ( Feb. 8. 2014 ) as I will be there. We’ll see what happens. Hopefully it will be a 2nd Level Engineer.

Geez, My hopes were flying high for awhile, but after they did this to you I guess I can expect the same.

Did you come up with any resolutions? I bought mine on Dec. 27, 2013 so I know the store won’t take it back, they have a 30 day policy. Will WD take it back?

I was really hoping to hear better news … Sorry Pacific_Dollars :cry:

WOW, I just bought my 4TB version this weekend. Had my share of issues after upgrading to this version of friwmare but nothing like this. This thread scares the heck out of me.

I bought it primarly to be a DLNA server at home. Now I think I better delete all my media and return this dog. Sad, since the h/w network performance is really good. Using it as a remote share works quite well but the DLNA media serving is truly poor. I used to have good impression of Twonky Media server that lead me to make the decision.

The DLNA server is really slow and rather unstable.

Good luck with your resolution. What is a better alternative?

pplwin:   Keep in mind one thing.   Might not make a difference; this is just my opinion for what it’s worth.

The older My Book Lives had Twonky 5.1.9 on them.   Worked as solid as a rock – for devices that worked with Twonky 5.1.9.  People complained forever that it never got updated.

Now we have the My Cloud NAS which is running a version of Twonky that’s so new, it only recently became available to most systems… version 7.2.6.

So WD may have erred in going with “Bleeding Edge” Twonky version, but I think ti will be worth it in the long run when these bizarre kinks get worked out.

I’ve not had a single issue with Twonky on my Cloud – but I’m not using those atypical media types that WD has found yet.  

We shall see…

@ SectorGZ,

No resolutions yet. I have to send the Log of the My Cloud to them first. Had another error. I shutdown the My Cloud after removing the External USB and then restarted it and put the External USB back, gave me a strange error in red something to do with Http. Oh well, it said contact WD support. Hahaha. 

Everyone, any recommendation? Should I downgrade back to firmware 03.03.02.156 or keep it as 03.03.02.165?

Little_Fish

@ Pacific_Dollars,

Where was your MyCloud made? Mine was Malaysia and I am wondering if there is a “Quality” issue with manufacturing in that area. Just trying to do a sudo “Opex”  (Operational Excellence) senerio. There has to be a Y=f(X) to find a solution. We have not the background and knowledge base of these units to even start deducing a solution or reasons of so many various issues.

What are the logs going to tell them? … is this an error report? I know within the Dashboard there is that triangle that shows errors, ( if clicked ), but I delete the errors, as they tell me very little, and the documentation does not explain what the error truely is, or how to fix it, or follow it to a detailed resolution.

Hopefully we can get something solved. I know I’m out of my 30 day return policy to the store. I have owned it ~45 days and I’m not sure what to do. :confounded:

@ SectorGZ,

If you go through my post you will see that I had 2 and 1 was from Malaysia, the first one, the second one was from Thailand which I have now.

WD Support has responded and I am working on some tests they want me to do.

Ttyl,

Pacific_Dollars wrote:

@ SectorGZ,

No resolutions yet. I have to send the Log of the My Cloud to them first. Had another error. I shutdown the My Cloud after removing the External USB and then restarted it and put the External USB back, gave me a strange error in red something to do with Http. Oh well, it said contact WD support. Hahaha. 

We’re still figuring out what’s going on.  The logs are important for that.  So, sorry it wasn’t about a resolution.

Should I stay with the current firmware or go back to 156?

@ Little Fish,

I am staying with the -165 for now, because we have entered in the testing phase concerning my device with the WD Support Team. I am bit tired fiddling  at the moment. I am busy too. So leave it for now, but if you want to change it, it is your choice. I hope we get an answer soon.

:smiley:

@ Bill,

No worries, we are now in the testing phase with my WD My Cloud. One of the WD Support Team has just contacted me by Email and asked for logging as well updates concerning my settings and other bits and pieces. I just have done that. So bear with us about the reply. 

PS, he asked for a System Restore, but I declined, because I have seen it has bricked others on this forum, so I want to wait for it, until it is not working anymore and at the moment it has sort of settled a bit, but not enough time to really see long term operation yet. I was suggesting a week or so and see if the Sleep Mode works as well the Not Disconnecting of the Network.

Pacific_Dollars,

Thanks for helping.

Tony,

Thanks for the feedback and other help you have provided.

However, after last night yet-another Media database loss, I am packing WD-MC up and returning it. A shame since the remote access side works quite well and the h/w is fast. I got my 4TB version for about the price of a raw 4TB drive so I really wanted this to work.

Still what is the point of 4TB if the medial server is useless. Most of us will never need 4TB for personal data. Media is the main needs for such large HD space. Either this Twonky is a disaster or WD did a bad job embedding it Why allow for users to “customize” Twonky on port:9000 and then override everything on the next reboot?

Sometime the media database shows what I have correctly, other times it is totally confused. I have music and photos under Videos. DLNA is not new. I recently bought a cheap G-connect HD with Wi-Fi hotspot for long car trips. It had DLNA server embedded and can also used on the ethernet port. I loaded my movies on it, plugged it into my Gigabit network and everything simply works. BTW, the same media files are now on WD-MC and they are a mess there.

Very disappointing …

Anyone experienced no response from the MyCloud after 12 or so hours of idle? 

1. My Mac us unable to connect to the Mycloud and shows no folders under “finder”

2. From the log, the device rebooted by itself for unknown reason.   Message as follow:

Following events are generated on your WDMyCloud .

Event title:System restart

Event description:The system has restarted.

Severity:Info

Event code:2001

Event time:02-06-2014 08:04:02 PM

1. I have to unplug the power and plug in again to gain access. 

Should it be related to the “sleep mode” or what?  Anyone?

Thanks

Hi

I have just returned from holiday to find my WDMyCloud 3TB NAS updated automatically to this new firmware.  I now cannot access my NAS through the Windows drive letters I have mapped to each share.   This means I cannot sync the files from my other NAS and other drives from my PC as I had fully set up.

I can only access from my PC, Android phone and iPad by switching on the FTP server.  Everything else appears to be working.  I have even tried mapping the FTP server to a drive letter so my sync software can work.  However, over FTP protocol all the file attributes are not guaranteed to be maintained.  I cannot have the file creation dates being changed etc.

Without being able to map shares to drives the NAS is useless to me.   Before putting it back in the box and returning to John Lewis please tell me how to download the previous firmware so the device is useable again.

Please post previous Firmware version for download and fix the latest version.  

Regards

CTB

PS I have now taken off auto update.

CTB_WD wrote:

Please post previous Firmware version for download and fix the latest version.  

Regards

CTB

PS I have now taken off auto update.

I have “Googled” for the last firmware and this is the link:

WD My Cloud Personal Cloud Storage Firmware 03.03.01-156 download page

http://drivers.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php?p=324025&t=0&i=1

This is not an offical WD site download, so keep that in mind.

As far as WD trying to fix things, I have a 2nd Level Engineer calling me today to help with some issues, or try to find out what is causing the issues. I will report back when that has transpired.

I have most features turned off. I have shut it down for most all this week and when I got home last night I fired up the MyCloud. Now, except for a “Content Scan”, it seems to be working. I kept it on overnight and did not lose connection. The “Sleep” mode is actually working, for the first time. But I haven’t tried anything else so we’ll see after the WD call.

I am on Firmware 3.03.02.165

Thank you SectorGZ for your reply.

I have downloaded the above previous firmware release and tried to install.  The file was rejected as incompatible, so I will wait for WD to post or fix this release.

Thanks for trying.

CTB

CTB_WD wrote:

Thank you SectorGZ for your reply.

I have downloaded the above previous firmware release and tried to install.  The file was rejected as incompatible, so I will wait for WD to post or fix this release.

Thanks for trying.

CTB

Here are the WD Firmware downloads for MyCloud:

03.01.04-139
http://download.wdc.com/nas/WDMyCloud-030103-127-20130903.zip

03.03.01-156
http://download.wdc.com/nas/WDMyCloud-030301-156.zip

http://download.wdc.com/nas/WDMyCloud-030302-165.zip

Hope this helps :wink:

Thanks again for trying to help.

I downloaded from the new firmware link for the previous version and tried to update my WDMyCloud 3T with the extracted file. My device put out an error message.

ERROR

“Device does not have enough space for an upgrade”

So it would appear I cannot roll back the firmware.  I hope this is not the case and will be contacting WD support on Monday.

Regards

CTB