New Release - My Net Router Firmware Updates (12/20/12)

If any WD rep monitors this, please read my analysis of the N900 7xgb version in the thread

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Net-Networking-Devices/Help-My-network-keeps-dropping/td-p/516882/page/3

and page 4 of that same thread.

You guys have a 100% issue with the fans on the N900’s and sounds like maybe more models where they simply don’t turn on most of the time and if they do, they spin so slow they might as well not be.  I have “fixed” mine by adding a laptop cooler pad with 2x120mm fans blowing straight into the bottom vent holes and it now seems stable even under high loads.  The only major issue I have with using an external cooler is that it CANNOT be powered from your USB ports and thus required me to use a powered usb hub I had laying around.

This really is a VERY nice product and feature-set once you get it cooled properly.  The internal fan should be able to be enabled via a firmware update to simply turn it on and leave it on as these N900’s get HOT on the bottom and top even under light to moderate loads without any fans moving air in it.

Overheating is for sure a firmware issue.

I have just downgraded to 1.03.11 and now the cooling fan spins, the router works and even the WDPhoto works again.

Of course, the WD Media Player cannot play videos anymore, but I can live with that for now.

Wow, so it seems a lot of people are having the same frequently disconnection issues, and very little response from WD. When I bought the n900, I had a lot of respect for WD having used several of their products in the past. Given the apparent issues, it’s disappointing that WD hasn’t come out with F/W update to address the issue or at least acknowledge the problem.

I’m not up to spending a lot of time trying to fix and reset constantly. I guess the best option is sending it back to Amazon. It’s a shame; the product features are high-end…but ONLY IF IT WORKS.

I sent my back to amazon and got a replacement unit that I set up again tonight.  So far, so good, but it has been a few hours…I had TONS of trouble with the last one once I actually tried using it.  We’ll see how this one goes.  I will report back.

Erik

Yes, please fix the N900 dropping the wireless connection every other day. It is quite annoying and should not occur.

Are you happy with the performance with the older firmware? Where did you get the file?

I derived the link from using the naming scheme that WD used for the 1.05.12 firmware and it works for getting older versions.  Below is the previous firmware for the N900, 1.03.11

http://download.wdc.com/nas/My_Net_N900_1.03.11.zip

Thanks!

Maddog82 wrote:

I derived the link from using the naming scheme that WD used for the 1.05.12 firmware and it works for getting older versions.  Below is the previous firmware for the N900, 1.03.11

http://download.wdc.com/nas/My_Net_N900_1.03.11.zip

Thanks! Never even thought of trying that. Cheers!

Did you lose anything as far as streaming etc? Did you lose your settings?

I haven’t downgraded since I put a cooling pad under mine to compensate for the on-board fan not working.  Mine has been up and fully functional for the past 5 days now with all features on.

Check amdeus’ solution here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Net-Networking-Devices/N900-routinely-locking-up-every-36-48-hours/td-p/460310/page/4

I am wondering if the fan is spinning for him…

well, some time last night the DNLA portion of the router stopped working.  It reports all of the folders and such, but no longer shows any files.  If I manually browse the folder, it still shows up and they are all there so at least it didn’t delete anything.  A reboot fixed the problem but as others have noted, you MUST remove the usb drive before turning the router back on or the drive will NOT show back up.

All said and done, it took right at 6 days for something to stop working correctly.  While I have put this thing through some pretty vigerous testing these past few weeks, to me this is still unacceptable since one of my major reasons for getting it was to stream media without needing my old laptop on sucking down an extra 50w an hour.  50w an hour may not sound like much until you do 50w x 24h x 30d = 36KW a month just to keep the laptop on.

Bill, can you please confirm that WD was able to reproduce the overheating problem on My Net N900 Central with 2 TB running 1.05.12 firmware?

Are you guys working on a patch?

We forwarded this thread to the product group.  I don’t know if they have reproduced it or not.  I’m sure they’re looking into it, but it may take a bit to get a response. 

If  they need more information, they will private message.  Please respond to your private messages, if you don’t, this issue may not go any further with them.  This is happening a lot to us, where we pm users for more information, but nobody responds.

Some things to try, and/or make sure of, or be aware of:

1.  Do not place the router inside a cabinet.  It will collect heat. 
  2.  Do not stack other devices on top it.  It will collect heat.
  3.  If you’ve done a firmware update on it, you may want to do a factory reset.
  4.  The fan doesn’t kick in until the chipset inside actually hits 68 degrees Celsius.  That’s 157 degrees Fahrenheit.  
  5.  The fan doesn’t hit full speed until the temperature hits over 75 degrees Celsius. 
  6.  The fan is extremely quiet.  If it is running, it pulls air in from the top and blows it out the bottom of the router.

If you really think the router is overheating, are the leds blinking?  Have you lost all connectivity to the Wifi, Usb, and Ethernet?  That would be happening if it is truly overheating. 

However, if you are experiencing drop offs, then that could be due to something else - which we are also looking into.

@Bill_S: I’m pleased to see your post in this thread. Thanks. One question: I can’t find where on this forum to see if I’ve received an private messages. I’ve used private messaging many times on many other forums, but I must be losing my mind. Could you direct me to the PM section of this forum? Thanks.

Thanks Bill. That is an accurate descriptions of the symptoms I encountered on 2 routers with the oldest firmware. Too bad I did not know that before replacing the original router. Now I have to pay $20 for shipping the old modem back to WD.

I have tested 1.4.11 the whole day today. This firmware is not really NAS friendly, but at least the WiFi works with minimum drops. No hangs whatsoever!

Bill_S wrote:

We forwarded this thread to the product group.  I don’t know if they have reproduced it or not.  I’m sure they’re looking into it, but it may take a bit to get a response. 

If  they need more information, they will private message.  Please respond to your private messages, if you don’t, this issue may not go any further with them.  This is happening a lot to us, where we pm users for more information, but nobody responds.

Some things to try, and/or make sure of, or be aware of:

1.  Do not place the router inside a cabinet.  It will collect heat. 
  2.  Do not stack other devices on top it.  It will collect heat.
  3.  If you’ve done a firmware update on it, you may want to do a factory reset.
  4.  The fan doesn’t kick in until the chipset inside actually hits 68 degrees Celsius.  That’s 157 degrees Fahrenheit.  
  5.  The fan doesn’t hit full speed until the temperature hits over 75 degrees Celsius. 
  6.  The fan is extremely quiet.  If it is running, it pulls air in from the top and blows it out the bottom of the router.

If you really think the router is overheating, are the leds blinking?  Have you lost all connectivity to the Wifi, Usb, and Ethernet?  That would be happening if it is truly overheating. 

However, if you are experiencing drop offs, then that could be due to something else - which we are also looking into.

1,2) The router is sitting on top of my desk with nothing over, under (besides the laptop cooling pad), or around it within a foot (the usb hdd I have been testing with has a 6’ cable and is on the other side of my desk).

1. After having my initial issues with the router locking up under really any kind of load even light loads, I came to the forums and found this tid bit of info.  I also tried downgrading the firmware and then reapplying updates in a row without skipping any as that was also reported to help.  I cannot confirm nor deny that doing so really helped at all as my unit would still lockup under light loads prior to my cd case and cooling pad tests.

4,5,6) At one point I propped the unit up on it’s side so I could see the fan and watch if it came on.  I only saw it ever spin once, and even then it was spinning so slow I could count the revolutions.  During this test, the router only dropped out after copying around 2gb of data via ethernet to the usb hdd I had hooked up to port 1.  As soon as windows reported the drive was unavailable, I felt the bottom of the router and it was hot enough for me to not leave my hand on it.

I have never had all the LEDs blink in sync like the manual says they should if it overheats, but if you read my previous posts on this thread, something inside is definitely overheating since just propping it up on a cd case helped a lot and then adding a laptop cooler totally fixed 99% of the issues (only remaining is the DLNA dropping out after 6 days which I suppose I can live with since it just required a power cycle and no files were deleted/corrupted).  As you mentioned, when it used to lock up on me, first the USB would become unavailable, then the interface I was copying over would drop out followed shortly by any remaining interfaces (ie: if I was using wifi, it would go and then LAN or the other way around if I was using the LAN to copy), including the wd dashboard, and finally the wd quick view would stop reporting the N900 on my network.  This would all happening within about 10~15 seconds of the USB drive failing to report so seeing a delayed drop-out on some devices could easily be explained my local buffered cache on those devices (my wii is usually the last device to say it lost the internet while watching a movie).  Where is the thermal sensor(s) at and how often are they polled by the chipset to determine the fan speed?  Could it simply be that where the sensor is at is not getting that hot, but some other part is (such as any onboard cache/ram or UARTs) which is then causing the onboard firmware/software to crash when it goes to poll these other devices inside the unit?

As a side note, I find it interesting that you guys are trying to pull cool air in from the top and exhaust it out the bottom since that is inherently backwards from how typical heat convection works.  It would seem to me to be more efficient to simply turn the fan around and pull cool air from below and push it up in the direction the heat is naturally trying to flow than force it go in the opposite direction.

Also, how do you check your PMs?  I have looked under my profile and poked around a few other places and have yet to see where you would even check for them.

1 Like

I found the PM icon.  It’s the little envelope looking thing that is smaller than the bold and underline buttons on the input box here but is up in the top right corner directly across from “Help” for anyone else looking for it.

varxx wrote:
@Bill_S: I’m pleased to see your post in this thread. Thanks. One question: I can’t find where on this forum to see if I’ve received an private messages. I’ve used private messaging many times on many other forums, but I must be losing my mind. Could you direct me to the PM section of this forum? Thanks.

You can access your private messages through the little gray envelope icon in the upper right corner below the WD Knowledge Base link.  If you have a private message it will say, “1 (or more) Unread.”

HeatProblems wrote:
Thanks Bill. That is an accurate descriptions of the symptoms I encountered on 2 routers with the oldest firmware. Too bad I did not know that before replacing the original router. Now I have to pay $20 for shipping the old modem back to WD.

I have tested 1.4.11 the whole day today. This firmware is not really NAS friendly, but at least the WiFi works with minimum drops. No hangs whatsoever!

I’m glad to hear that it’s not hanging up.

Maddog82 wrote:> 1,2) The router is sitting on top of my desk with nothing over, under (besides the laptop cooling pad), or around it within a foot (the usb hdd I have been testing with has a 6’ cable and is on the other side of my desk).

1. After having my initial issues with the router locking up under really any kind of load even light loads, I came to the forums and found this tid bit of info.  I also tried downgrading the firmware and then reapplying updates in a row without skipping any as that was also reported to help.  I cannot confirm nor deny that doing so really helped at all as my unit would still lockup under light loads prior to my cd case and cooling pad tests.

4,5,6) At one point I propped the unit up on it’s side so I could see the fan and watch if it came on.  I only saw it ever spin once, and even then it was spinning so slow I could count the revolutions.  During this test, the router only dropped out after copying around 2gb of data via ethernet to the usb hdd I had hooked up to port 1.  As soon as windows reported the drive was unavailable, I felt the bottom of the router and it was hot enough for me to not leave my hand on it.

I have never had all the LEDs blink in sync like the manual says they should if it overheats, but if you read my previous posts on this thread, something inside is definitely overheating since just propping it up on a cd case helped a lot and then adding a laptop cooler totally fixed 99% of the issues (only remaining is the DLNA dropping out after 6 days which I suppose I can live with since it just required a power cycle and no files were deleted/corrupted).  As you mentioned, when it used to lock up on me, first the USB would become unavailable, then the interface I was copying over would drop out followed shortly by any remaining interfaces (ie: if I was using wifi, it would go and then LAN or the other way around if I was using the LAN to copy), including the wd dashboard, and finally the wd quick view would stop reporting the N900 on my network.  This would all happening within about 10~15 seconds of the USB drive failing to report so seeing a delayed drop-out on some devices could easily be explained my local buffered cache on those devices (my wii is usually the last device to say it lost the internet while watching a movie).  Where is the thermal sensor(s) at and how often are they polled by the chipset to determine the fan speed?  Could it simply be that where the sensor is at is not getting that hot, but some other part is (such as any onboard cache/ram or UARTs) which is then causing the onboard firmware/software to crash when it goes to poll these other devices inside the unit?

As a side note, I find it interesting that you guys are trying to pull cool air in from the top and exhaust it out the bottom since that is inherently backwards from how typical heat convection works.  It would seem to me to be more efficient to simply turn the fan around and pull cool air from below and push it up in the direction the heat is naturally trying to flow than force it go in the opposite direction.

Also, how do you check your PMs?  I have looked under my profile and poked around a few other places and have yet to see where you would even check for them.

I found that interesting too.  I have passed your post along.