New Release - My Net Router Firmware Updates (12/20/12)

If any WD rep monitors this, please read my analysis of the N900 7xgb version in the thread

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Net-Networking-Devices/Help-My-network-keeps-dropping/td-p/516882/page/3

and page 4 of that same thread.

You guys have a 100% issue with the fans on the N900’s and sounds like maybe more models where they simply don’t turn on most of the time and if they do, they spin so slow they might as well not be.  I have “fixed” mine by adding a laptop cooler pad with 2x120mm fans blowing straight into the bottom vent holes and it now seems stable even under high loads.  The only major issue I have with using an external cooler is that it CANNOT be powered from your USB ports and thus required me to use a powered usb hub I had laying around.

This really is a VERY nice product and feature-set once you get it cooled properly.  The internal fan should be able to be enabled via a firmware update to simply turn it on and leave it on as these N900’s get HOT on the bottom and top even under light to moderate loads without any fans moving air in it.