New Release - My Net N900 Router Firmware Update (1/15/13)

I am also having the issue of extender mode not working (in fact, they completely removed the option and there are now only two options. )  This is making me consider downgrading to the previous firmware version.  I had a **bleep** of a time getting the router working again.

Andrew,

Try propping it up or put a cooling fan under it.  I was having a **bleep** of a time with transfers as well until I did this.  It would lock up after anywhere between 5-10gb and I would loose my connection on everything.  Have yet to try 1.06

I ended up reverting back to 1.05.12.  I was having major connectivity issues with the latest firmware.  1.05.12 was stable for me.

I have found some bugs in the new firmware:

1. DNS Proxy still doesn’t work with many public DNS, such as Google and Open DNS.

The router is using only ISP’s DNS. ( I have to disable it all the time since the previous firmware :frowning: )

2. Channel Width bug, the router is forced to connect only in the 20Mhz mode for both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands.

1. The router’s password is restored to default quite often when some settings in WAN / LAN are changed.

I’m going to try wiring up a case fan to work off an AC/DC power adapter and try this out. It’s been much more reliable these past two days, which could be due to the much colder weather that just showed up.

I just used a USB laptop cooling pad for mine, but due note that you CANNOT run the pad from the router’s USB ports for some odd reason.  I used a usb hub I had laying around to run mine.  Another option would be to wire a standard 12v desktop case fan, as you suggested, directly to the router via the 12V/3A power supply or using an additional 12v power supply if you have one laying around.

I wish somebody would try the Evercool Dr. Cool router cooler. It’s a little goofy-looking, but, if the fan holds up, it might be worthwhile.

Here’s  one link (no endorsement implied).

1.05.12 has been rock solid all night for me.  1.06.xx was dropping the connection left and right when it was set in router mode or AP mode.  I am running 1.05.12 in AP mode and its running great.  To revert back down to 1.05.12 I had to do the ‘nuke it from orbit’ approach, but it’s working and that is really what matters to me.

Yeah, what is this talk about a factory reset after a firmware update?  I seem to have “lost” my internal storage again, this time after upgrading to the latest firmware.  yes, you got that right…the INTERNAL storage now can’t be seen by its own **bleep** router.  Nice job guys.  Now how Do I get the router to see its own storage again.  BTW, I can still see the share I had created before in Windows explorer, and listen to songs from it, and see some of the pics from it.

What a huge hastle this whole thing has been.  if this isn’t resolved quickly, this will be going back to amazon.  Don’t care if it was a good deal…it just isn’t worth it.

Erik 

Actually you can power a cooler off the USB port depending on how it’s wired. Many devices that can be plugged into USB but do not transmit data tend to have the Data+ and Data- wires connected to each other via a 200ohm resister which allows the host device to “see” that the port is being used.

USB cables have 4 wires inside them which are:

Red: +5v VDC

Black: GND

White: Data+

Green: Data-

I actually took an old USB to USB-mini cable which has been giving me problems lately and cut the USB-Mini plug off, stripped off the outer insulator and then carefully folded back the foil shielding which exposed the 4 wires listed above. I folded back both the White and Green wires making sure they were at different lengths so they could not somehow touch each other or the foil shielding, then slid a small heatshrink tube over all this and torched it so it was snug. With only the Red and Black wires sticking out the end, i stripped back their insulation about 1/4" and heated then with my soldering iron and applied some regular silver solder (i never use the lead **bleep**). Now that the fine copper threads are coated and will stay together, I tested out a few spare 12v VDC computer fans I had laying around and after finding out two of the five wouldn’t even start with such low voltage, I picked the one that seemed to run best, a 60x15mm fan from an very old AMD heatsink. I then cut the connector off very close to the fan body and soldered black to black, red to red… shrink wrapped them and then another piece to cover those as well as the piece I initially used to keep separate the green/white wires. Since I did not connect the green/white together, the host device does not notice there is something connected and doesn’t get mad and kill my internet connection.

Lastly I found some little 1" tall “legs” for my router to stand on and using some 3m double sided foam tape, stuck the fan to the underside of the router so it blows directly into the air intake. Works perfectly and after 12 hours i’ve had zero issues thus far.

Does anyone has a problem with DNS Proxy and know how to fix it ? 

Please help !!!

P/s: Will it be better to have an option to use only primary and secondary DNS that we provide, not ISP’s ?

Do not install if you use MyNet in extender mode. For me it was a disaster.

I had to roll back to older 1.05 firmware.

I think WD should keep an easy access to older proved version of the firmware. No having found link here for older version of the firmware on these pages - I would be lost.

From now on - I will not touch a new firmware at all - as I spent 2 hours of fixing new firmware issue.

_OLE_ wrote:

I think WD should keep an easy access to older proved version of the firmware. No having found link here for older version of the firmware on these pages - I would be lost.

+1

erikkur wrote:

Yeah, what is this talk about a factory reset after a firmware update?  I seem to have “lost” my internal storage again, this time after upgrading to the latest firmware.  yes, you got that right…the INTERNAL storage now can’t be seen by its own **bleep** router.  Nice job guys.  Now how Do I get the router to see its own storage again.  BTW, I can still see the share I had created before in Windows explorer, and listen to songs from it, and see some of the pics from it.

What a huge hastle this whole thing has been.  if this isn’t resolved quickly, this will be going back to amazon.  Don’t care if it was a good deal…it just isn’t worth it.

Erik 

What I did was this

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9618/~/how-to-recover-a-my-net-router-from-a-failed-firmware-update

and uploaded the 1.05.12 file.  1.06.18 really just destroyed my system.  I was getting constant connection drops.

varxx wrote:

_OLE_ wrote:

+1

+2

or they should at least test these firmwares a bit more.  it seems like it was an alpha.

If anyone is interested in rolling back, you can find the rollback link with instructions below.

N900

http://products.wdc.com/n900rollback/

N900 Central

http://products.wdc.com/n900centralrollback/

1 Like

Bill_S wrote:

If anyone is interested in rolling back, you can find the rollback link with instructions below.

N900

http://products.wdc.com/n900rollback/

N900 Central

http://products.wdc.com/n900centralrollback/

I tried those steps for my rollback and they didn’t work Bill.  That is why I had to go the extreme route.

lordv: The rollback worked for me. Based on this post it worked for you too right?

lordv wrote:

erikkur wrote:

Erik 

What I did was this

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9618/~/how-to-recover-a-my-net-router-from-a-failed-firmware-update

and uploaded the 1.05.12 file.  1.06.18 really just destroyed my system.  I was getting constant connection drops.

I have rolled back the firmware :confused:

I had high hopes in this My Net N900 router.I almost regret  giving up my Netgear WNDR4000 router.I thought WD was really going to impress the router market with there line up.I feel simply let down by the worlds best Hdd maker.

I hope they can get the firmware optimal to its best potential very soon.I am ready to buy a new router and i shouldn’t be.

I feel like tester rather than a end user,i hope they put some serious effort in the next firmware and fully test all functions before offering it to the public.

#Xander_Ace

Now we have an old firmware back.

When the new and stable firmware will be released ?