New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 2.42.02-012 (4/17/13)

Sorry to see that some are having this “stuck at 90%” problem.

I’m wondering why I didn’t have this problem.  Could it be due to what kind of data I store and how I use my MBL?  I use it strictly as a shared, networked, plain old file server.  Only have about 60GB on my 1TB unit.  I don’t use any media serving or any of that stuff.

Could it be that the install has to do some sort of index rebuilding that just takes a real long time if you have a lot of big files?  Doesn’t make a lot of sense, but I’m just speculating.

the HumpMan

I have ‘stuck at 90%’ problem as well :confounded:

I use about 800GB of 2TB unit.

MBL 2TB - Upgrade all done via GUI, no issues …

I upgraded the firmware in my two 1TB MyBookLive’s last night without any of the issues mentioned here. I use one drive exclusively for backups (both the DLNA and iTunes Media Servers disabled) and the second drive as a media server with both the DLNA and iTunes Media Servers enabled.

Good data point.  What other features of the MBL are we, who aren’t having update problems, not using?

Remote access?  I don’t have that turned on.  I don’t use user accounts either.  Or any share level security.

the HumpMan

HumpMan wrote:

Good data point.  What other features of the MBL are we, who aren’t having update problems, not using?

Remote access?  I don’t have that turned on.  I don’t use user accounts either.  Or any share level security.

the HumpMan

Between my two MyBookLive’s I’m using all of those features (remote access, user accounts, share level security).

We are looking into this right now.  

I’m running Remote Access on both, Twonky on one, iTunes on the same one – no issues upgrading either of mine.

Hi,

Is there a way to re-apply the update manually after already already upgrading to v 2.42.02-012?

I ask this as I would like to apply the update to make my drive the way it was immediately after doing the auto-update (and get rid of any changes I have since made).

The WD Support page says Manual updating is no longer provided for this patch.

Thankyou.

[Edit] - Problem solved. I found the file download page on the WD site:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfmb_liveduo

For your information - 142MB .zip file.

Scratch that Edit, it was for the My Book Live Duo.

I just installed this current Firmware, and I must say, My back up to TimeMachine is much slower, (If that was even possible.) 

Not only that, it’s mure sluggish when opening up the dashboard and when accessing files off the MyBookLive. Not happy with this product since day one. Next time, I’ll know better and just buy a USB 2.0 External HD and plug it straight in to my router. ( Better yet, wait for a router supporting USB 3.0, and get a HD to match…but never again get a myBookLive! )

It’s been on 5.49 GB out of 148.16 GB for the past hour that’s inexcusable!

I don’t recommend updating this firmware. You’re better off.

theenoid wrote:> I’ll know better and just buy a USB 2.0 External HD and plug it straight in to my router. ( Better yet, wait for a router supporting USB 3.0, and get a HD to match…but never again get a myBookLive! )

That would not be a good move in my experience. I used a USB drive connected to my Netgear router before buying my MBL and to be honest I had a lot of problems. It was only a 500Gb drive but so slow and it would never index all the music files and video files on the drive. Tried other drives with it but with limited success, slow and clumsy and frustrating. That’s why I bought a 2Tb MBL and yes it has its idiosyncrasies but it serves up my media via DNLA without too much hassle so whilst neither solution is 100% the MBL works better for me.

Barry

I’d just bought a brand new MBL 3TB.  It had no files on at all but all the defaults (ie Itunes) switched on.  It  hung at 90% but only for about 1 minute before successfully installing.

Having mixed feelings about being stuck at 90%. Its annoying not to have the latest firmware, but if its worse than the current one then maybe I’m better off!

I thought it could be indexing so I left it overnight - no movement after 8 hours or more.

I have just started a short self test - and that too has stalled at 90%.

I am using 722 GB out of 2TB.

I have user profiles and remote access, including Remote

I did change the name of my drive, but my iOS apps didn’t like it. I have changed it back now.

I turned off the Twonky server after the first fail.

I have a mix of media files that I serve(d) via Twonky

I have some networked drives served from the device, but having Windows 7 Home, I cannot do backups easily.

I use iOS and Android WD 2Go and WD Photos but Android is far better.

Looking forward to a new release that installs and works better than the currest on!

Thanks

All night in 90%

This update not work properly!

I intent, disable all services, and nothing!

I hope, WD technicals read all messages and response something…

Are you sure it’s not installed. My install seemed a lil’ weird as well. I installed from dashboard. I didn’t think it worked, So I went to WD page to download software and do manyally, but got the message that firmware was up to date.

Kuwito wrote:

All night in 90%

This update not work properly!

I intent, disable all services, and nothing!

I hope, WD technicals read all messages and response something…

I did post that we are looking into this.  Right now we’re gathering information and seeking to replicate this.  As soon as we hear something, we’ll let you know. 

For what it’s worth, I have the 90% problem also. I have two 2TB MLBs and use them only as file servers. One is for shared files and the other is a full image backup of the first. Only Win mounts (XP, 7, 8) on all my PCs and SyncToy for backups.

Both MLBs emailed me yesterday to tell me about the firmware release. As a matter of course, I always update one just to make sure that it works. I hit the web console and accepted the pop-up offer to update. All went well until it hit 90% on the Update screen and it has been there for a couple of hours. I’m guessing it’s done.

Bill_S wrote:.

I did post that we are looking into this.  Right now we’re gathering information and seeking to replicate this.  As soon as we hear something, we’ll let you know. 

And we appreciate you looking into it.

We are just trying to help by giving information about our situations, and for everyone here how many are not Posting.

If you need specific details to help in your investigations then please ask.

Cheers

They’ve already pulled some logs from other users.  I think they’re working on those right now.  I’m sure they’ll ask if they need more.

Add sysctl.conf file inside

vm.min_free_kbytes=8192

save file and reboot