New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.32.05-044 (9/5/12)

Do you have a green LED? If so maybe the IP for your Mybooklive changed which is why the web-browser isn’t updating.

Thanks for the suggestion.  My current state is:

• Device has a (pale) green LED. 
  • After disconnecting and reconnecting the ethernet, it is responding to a ping. 
  • UI seems to come up, and is flashing a yellow “initializing” down in the bottom left hand corner.  
  • I have no other options or anything because there is also a dialog box displaying “Initializing device, please wait”. 
  • It is not responding to its samba mount, but I guess that is expected at this time too…  :frowning:

I guess I will wait all night, then start poking it again tomorrow…

I think we are looking at some sorta SMB2 bug. I’m running a clean install of Windows 7 SP1

I went as far as wiping the drive clean AGAIN and using the debrick script to install a FRESH copy of 02.32.05-044 and still got the same slow speeds

One thing that sticks out to me in the graphs is the fairly flat heads on the graphs on the MBL running 02.32.05-044

It’s almost like the speed is capped when you compare it to the 02.11.09-053 graphs which are spikey.

At any rate I went from 44MB/s to 34MB/s transfer rates copying files TO the MBL after this latest firmware

And speeds FROM the MBL to my computer are effected as well

ISSUE RESOLVED!

SSH into the MBL and first backup smb-global.conf located at /etc/samba/smb-global.conf to your computers HDD and then edit /etc/samba/smb-global.conf

REMOVE “max protocol = SMB2” from the bottom of the file and save, then reboot the MBL and enjoy full speed again. Note that this may have adverse effects if running Windows 8

I Feel this more than proves there is a bug somewhere with the MBL SMB2 implementation

See graphs below for proof…

Original test after INITIAL upgrade to 02.32.05-044

First graph is 1gb file from computer to 3TB MBL on 02.11.09-053

Second graph is same file from computer to 1TB MBL on 02.32.05-044

Ok I wiped my 1TB MyBookLive clean and used the debrick script to reinstalled 02.11.09-053 and here are my results. The graphs and speeds are almost dead on now that both MyBookLives are running 02.11.09-053

Test file 1GB

Graph 1 is copying a 1GB file to MBL 3TB - 02.11.09-053

Second graph is same file to MBL 1TB - 02.11.09-053

Same test with a 5GB file 

Graph 1 is copying a 5GB file to MBL 3TB - 02.11.09-053

Second graph is same file to MBL 1TB - 02.11.09-053

Gonna upgrade my 1TB MBL to 02.32.05-044 again and retest

Here is the retest after a second upgrade

First graph is 1gb file from computer to 3TB MBL on 02.11.09-053

Second graph is same file from computer to 1TB MBL on 02.32.05-044

Took the 3TB MybookLive off the network and it had no effect on speeds (Still slow on 02.32.05-044)

Graph shows same 1GB file from computer to 1TB MBL on 02.32.05-044

This graph shows a 1GB transfer FROM the MyBookLives to my computer

First graph is 1gb file from 3TB MBL to computer on 02.11.09-053

Second graph is same file from 1TB MBL to computer on 02.32.05-044

This graph shows speeds AFTER making changes to smb-global.conf as noted above. Issue RESOLVED!

Graph shows same 1GB file from computer to 1TB MBL on 02.32.05-044 after making changes to smb-global.conf

With the new firmware upgrade, I am no longer able to backup using time machine.  I am still on Lion.  The error message I get is “The network backup disk does not support the required AFP features.”   I’ve tried removing and remounting the drive. I reset my MBL, and it didn’t fix it.  I tried using some of the tricks from older posts. But still cannot get it to use the NAS as the backup point.  

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Well, after 5 hours, it seemed to have stopped doing anything, although the drive is still spinning and stepping.  I tried:

• power off, no change on restart, LED goes blue, then goes to solid green.  UI says initializing and is otherwise non-functional.
  • tried reset (5 second button push)…  no detectable change.
  • GUI continues to update with “initializing”, unless I power the device down. 
  • Tried new browser, flushed cache, acts the same as Firefox, Initializing.
  • Shutdown the MBL using WD Quick View.  To my surprise, it was able to contact the MBL and did shut it down.  Powered it back up by plugging the power connectot, and it returned to “initializing”…
  • It won’t let me ssh in, although I was able to do so before the upgrade.

:frowning:

join the club the mybooklive has been nothing but a pain for everyone lately, especially with all these useless updates that dont seem to work, if you can still return your drive do yourself a big favor and return it dont say i didnt warn you

I have the same!!!

Currently after rebooting MBL has blue light ~10s and then white (or very light green) light instantly with clicking/knocking noise.

No access to HDD. I want my data back :( 

Normal SATA-> usb interface will be enough to get to the disk?

Update failed both downloading from the internet and via file.  Dashboard became unresponsive and now after a reboot apparently I have fallen into the “Bricked UI” hole.  The device itself still “works” because my TimeMachine backups still run (though its been on the same 192 MB for about 15 minutes now) .  I’m a pretty sad panda.

Well, I’m happy to report mine started working again. Don’t know what the deal was, but after I left it alone for a few hours the dashboard started responding again. So… yay!

Same here, got to 10% and stuck for 10 minutes approx, then got download failure message. I closed the dialog box and all seems normal. I think I’ll give this a miss for a while, till I can back up the data.

No problems here…

I updated via the firmware file!

BTW: there were automaticly created 2 extra shares, timemachinebackup and smartware. Can I delete them without any problems?

Argh. After upgrading (which had no problems) Twonky doesn’t seem to work properly. Every client either don’t see the Twonky server or report that no content is shared. On Dashboard page everything seems to be in order, Twonky is on and status ok.

I have tried to reset the My book live, reset the router … nothing helps. Is there a way to rollback to the previous 02.11.09 firmware?

1 Like

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!! Tried again with same result, download failure at 10%, closed dialog, all back to normal. There must be a problem with downloading this file, I know VM in the UK are having problems with corrupt downloads, maybe my connection is affected too. Ah well, at least I can access my MBL.

So I have updated to new firmware and there are things where WD deserves a praise, like Time Machine Backup settings.

Otherwise it prooved that their software **bleep**. View My Files in dasboard requies Java (enabled in browser). Why on Earth? Twonky is still at version 5.x! Is that really such a problem to update it? Dasboard UI still horrible and not optimized for touch screen devices. And new issues in (this thread) reveals.

Absolutely the same here with the only difference - at the moment of upgrading firmware my MBL was just a few hours old… Almost everything except System and Network settings starts with red error message “Internsl server error”. No new users, no new shares, no remote access, no password settings and so on. At the same time - no problems wit restarting, upgrading firmware and working as a simple network storage in my home LAN. Waiting for solution…

I got the upgrade notice this morning.  Using the automatic updates I get error 31103.  When I do a manual update I get error 30404. The WD knowledge base doesn’t recognize the error codes.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Tom

I did update to latest version and did Full Factory Restory after update.

Now the question: Why /Public/Software folder is now empty?

Appears good to go at present for Mac users.  Time Machine now appears as a share and one can get to the sparse bundle, plus the real biggy - you can now limit the size of the Time Machine backup so it won’t eat up your entire MBL with backups leaving no room for data. :smiley:

The speed has tanked on my network.  Last night I was doing speed tests on the gigabit lan and was acheiving 43MB/s up and 100MB/s down on transfering a 1+GB movie file to the Public Video folder.   I backed up my entire computer (550GBs) to Time Machine and it finished in @7 hours.   Pretty impressive to me.  

Now I update to this new firmware released Sept.6, and I have speeds that average 20-25MB/s up and 20-25MB/s down.  Completely unacceptable.  After several years with the MyBookWorld at 12MB/s to finally have 100MB/s was amazing.  For ONE night until I update the firmware.    And back to square one. ( As well, it took three failed attempts for the firmware to stick.)

How do I roll back to the previous firmware, I don’t see an option anywhere.  Thanks.

MacPro if you are using Windows samba, see my post on page 3 for the easy fix for the speed issue. Fix is in large yellow text :wink:

Thanks for the direction nfodlz  but unfortunately it didn’t help my situation.  I am still averaging 23MB/s read/write.  Then I read that it was for Windows smb  so connected that way, and still no change.

I am going to reboot the Mac and see what happens.  What a mess up.  My read speeds have decreased 75%.  At least the unit is only 6 days old and I have a receipt to exchange it for one that hasn’t been updated.