New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.11.12-060 (6/26/12)

Quick question for when the firmware returns.  Can I still upgrade the firmware if I’ve changed the root password or do I need to change it back first?

That shouldn’t be an issue.

Hi I have 2 Units of MBL of 2 TB one (the newest ) report that have a new firmware the  02.11.12-060 and the upgrade finish successfully but the the (the older) not report any message and I search a manual update but the unit says that the fimware is already updated but the version is 02.11.09-053 : Core F/W when a search manually the version 02.11.12-060 in this web I can’t find is OK?

Go about five messages up…  the firmware was pulled.  Dismiss the notification and it won’t tell you again until the firmware is re-released.

So… How do you test your firmware before public release?

Do someone in WD own some non-WD electronic stuff sold in the last century? Did you ever take a look at what others are doing?

I never saw a warning “backup everything before update” on an  Xbox 360 or a Ps3. Nor on my 7 years old pc’s bios upgrade.

…and all of these electornic stuff have a power down button!

marco81bs wrote:

I never saw a warning “backup everything before update” on an  Xbox 360 or a Ps3. Nor on my 7 years old pc’s bios upgrade.

Every NAS I own has that warning, and I have four different makes and models.

XBOX360 and PS3 – There’s no risk of primary data loss; the games are still on your original disk.  The worst that can happen is you can lose your Save status and a few configuration files…  but the main reason is:  There’s no way to do it!

And a BIOS upgrade cannot damage data – even if the BIOS upgrade completely fails, your data are still on the storage devices untouched.

When you upgrade xbox’s or ps3’s firmware the process updates the content of the filesystem and the operating system files. If something goes wrong, you do not have to send back your console to manufacturer. The upgrade is fault-tolerant: it rollbacks to the previous state. It does not mess up with data content (i.e. downloaded/installed game and saves).

I may be misunderstood: obviously bios udpdate does not mess up with hard-disk content. I meant to say that when a bios update fails (on modern/decent hardware), the previous version is rolled-back.You do not need to send you motherboard back to the manufacturer.

All these WD firmware updates seem unsafe and untested. That means that you have to cross your finger and light up a candle in a church before even think to update.

The firmware installed easily and completely for me.  So is there going to be another release in the next few days?

After updating, I get a 404 error when trying to access remotely.  HELP, please.

dkschandler wrote:

After updating, I get a 404 error when trying to access remotely.  HELP, please.

Try turning off remote access, wait about 2 minutes and turn it back on again.

How do I know the rev of my hardware for a 2T MyBook? Instructions to download?

Missed this before it got pulled. Does anyone know if Twonky was upgraded at all? Thanks!

No, it wasn’t.

It will be a week or two before the update is put back up. We need additional testing (I know … don’t say it) to cover some areas that came up in the upgrade process (certain version code levels were not upgrading correctly).

So what about those unfortunate souls where the upgrade process appeared to go OK?  My MBL on the face of it upgraded without issue, however, I now find that Time Machine backups are excruciatingly slow.  Should we stick with the upgrade or try to reinstall the previous firmware version?

If your upgrade was successful, then you should be fine. When we re-release this, it will contain the same number of fixes. As to other issues, we incorporated the latest Netatalk version which is supposed to help with the Time Machine backup having to restart.

Thanks for the prompt response. As for TM, I will continue my practise of keeping them on a separate WD USB drive. Whilst you may not agree, I think this is by far the best option, and safer.

I had no issue updating my drive to v060 however on one drive, a 2tb mbl, the blue LED is no longer working. All other state colours are OK.

Is this a 060 upgrade issue or a purely coincidental hardware fault?

Hi, I also have quick question.  my MBL isnt backing up any of my computers after the last firmware and wd smartware upgrade, i tried going back to smartware v1.5.1.6 and its still not working and im not the only person expericening this problem. Is there a fix for this issute in the new firmware? or will there be a new smartware version released with the firmware??