New Release - My Book Live Duo Firmware Version 2.43.03-022 (10/7/13)

Since 5 days it is written now in the Web console: "

Firmware aktualisieren close

Prozess im Leerlauf.

Download wird ausgeführt…(100%)

Upgrade wird durchgeführt…

• Trennen Sie Ihr Gerät nicht während der Installation des Firmware-Updates. Nach Abschluss des Updates wird Ihr Netzlaufwerk automatisch neu gestartet. "

I have a bad feeling now resetting the device. :frowning:

I already lost all data 1 year ago and it was several days of work and thousends of files fully lost in case of the update of the WD Mybook.

Now I have MyBook Duo, best version but still update fear. :frowning:

Every time there is a firmware update a bunch of scripts make modifications to stuff that the new firmware requires. If you try and force a downgrade then you could cause more additional problems.

MortenL wrote:

Old firmware can be downloaded from here, but can I just manually install it?

http://download.wdc.com/nas/ap2nc-024202-012-20130401.deb

Upgrade went smoothly, everything in operation as expected. All data still accessible, same shares, etc.

Unfortunately I lost SSH access. So i went to x.x.x.x/UI/ssh and… it was still checked as ‘enabled’. I just can’t log in with my non-root user ID, and I can’t log in with the root ID either.

This may be because I’d configured sshd to disallow root login. It may have reset the user IDs permitted to log in but failed to correct that other change.

Either way, it’s looking like a factory reset and a data restore from the other MBLD - which I’ll do _before_ updating the firmware on the other one. Anybody aware of any issues with restoring safepoints?

Very frustrating :frowning:

I tried putting the old firmware on but it is giving me an error.

My problem with this new firmware update is that I have a My Cloud Live Duo 6TB drive and have used it happily for a long time now with a Western Digital My Book 1140 3TB drive attached to the back of it with a USB connection.  I’ve had no problems EVER with accessing the two drives on my Macs through the finder in the Shared drives section or network selection.

After this firmware update, the external USB drive is inaccessible.  When I click on the shares in the finder, they load fine.  But when I click on the USB share, I get a popup message with this error “The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “DRIVE NAME HERE” can’t be found”.  After I get this message for the USB shared drive, the other shares will give the same error message.  I called support and they said the USB plug on the back of the Cloud drive must be bad so they mailed me a new drive.

I connected the new drive and connected my USB drive to it and it setup and worked perfectly, just like the old drive did.  Then this new drive updated the firmware on itself.  Again, it times out after a long time.  I unplug the drive and wait a few minutes, plug it back in, and the Dashboard says the firmware updated successfully.  Then it’s the same problems again for the USB shared drive.  Exact same problem.  I’ve told tech support that it happens after the firmware update but they said it wasn’t the firmware the first time.  Now I can’t talk to someone about this happening again because tech support is not available.  Tech support says it’s open on Saturdays but I need a higher level of support and they aren’t available until Monday through Friday.  So I guess the WEBSITE should say “Tech Support available on Saturdays but only to tell you to unplug and plug in the device to reboot” or similar stupid solutions.

I can’t find anything ANYWHERE on this site about anyone else having the same problem.  Hope there’s a solution for this because I really hate when some company decides to update firmware to fix something and it only makes a new problem.

Delighted to confirm that the sshd_config had merely been restored to default - so root login re-enabled.

Took me a while to figure out the correct password, but once that was sorted I was in fine.

I normally don’t post stuff, but this My Book Live Duo is not a good product at all. After the last firmware update I have never been able to re-connect to my Samsung  Tv again. It’s very funny that every other wireless product in my house will connect to the TV.(EVEN THE WD LIVE MEDIA HUB) It’s not this that, it transfers large files on my network extremely slow. Yes, I have very high speed internet and high end computers. If your looking for something that can just store files and you’re not too concerned about transfer speed or possibly not connecting to your TV, this will do the job. Pretty high price tag on this product for the number of issues and limitations it has.  It seems to me as soon as WD comes out with a new product the firmware updates seem to drastically slow down on the older products. I guess I’m stuck with a big coaster until WD addresses the DLNA.  Sure I can still back files up, but I also bought this so I can share files on the tvs, which is not possible at this time.

Does anyone know if another update is coming or is this unit now at the end of it’s life?

Just ordered one of theses in 2 TB’s what should I do concering the firmwear when I get it? and are there any software updates I should perform. Hoping I have better luck then some people, nerver had a problem with WD drives so we shall see.

Tom j.