New Release - Firmware Version 3.07.14 for WD TV Live Hub (9/6/12)

YouTube thumbnails don’t work now.

And the hub has shut down and rebooted three times while in the middle of watching a YouTube video.

Thanks for posting this. I went back to the first 3.X release and man is my WDTV FAST AGAIN. I click to play an MPG or M4V or MP4 file and it’s instant playback. No yellow circling arrow and my wireless adapter is not constantly on. I’m not upgrading to future firmwares until that is fixed. WD’s QA team needs to improve their work. Everything went downhill after this release… Who cares about indian channels anyways? Are they really selling that much in WDTV’s in India? Why not add Canadian TV sites like tou.tv for example…

2 Likes

This firmware botched my WDTVLiveHub…

I updated and now it loads to the main screen, I can navigate around for ~2min, then the entire thing locks up and I have to pull the power to do anything.

I rolled back to v3.06.14 and my WD Box is working like normal again.

I’ll wait until the next firmware to try updating I guess…

@MrShanks, the same happened to me. My MP4s take too long to start and then they freeze many times during playback. I’m rolling back to 3.06.14 and hopefully I’ll remember from now on: “If ain’t broken, don’t fix it…”

1 Like

I own a Sony HX9-V which records full hd movies (MTS and M2TS) - a few firmwares ago, all works perfecly. But now these last updates the files isnt working well, the sound is out of sync and the image with slow motion. Why??? 

Netflix doesnt work in Brazil -Why???

Sorry my poor english!

Thank you ver much

Dread

downloaded and flashed it without problems.

tested the interface and some of my videos.

All working fine. no deleted Skip to time version…

Except the fact that video_run.xml was overidden to video_run_buf.xml

All is well.

So, can this community come to a concensus as to which firmware version is the most stable and useful? I just upgraded to 3.07.14 and I’m getting tired of looking at the “loading” spiral.

Also, are there any homebrew firmwares that are highly recommended for improved functionality?

Thanks!

MrShanks wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I went back to the first 3.X release and man is my WDTV FAST AGAIN. I click to play an MPG or M4V or MP4 file and it’s instant playback. No yellow circling arrow and my wireless adapter is not constantly on. I’m not upgrading to future firmwares until that is fixed. WD’s QA team needs to improve their work. Everything went downhill after this release… Who cares about indian channels anyways? Are they really selling that much in WDTV’s in India? Why not add Canadian TV sites like tou.tv for example…

Same here. The new firmware is so slow at playing videos, I have no clue what they’ve done. I’m going back on 3.00.28 

I too have had increasing problems each time I updated the firmware.  Each time I did so, another feature would disappear.

Getting the Media Library to find newly added files used to be a matter of waiting 30 seconds and it would automatically update.

The “Skip to Desired Time” on avi files has disappeared.

Deleted files stay on the list.

OK, you know all that, but I needed to get it off my chest. :wink:

Anyway, I figured it was time for a rollback and downloaded v 3.05 onto a USB, plugged it in, and nothing happened: no New Firmware menu option. 

When I look at the How to rollback page that is mentioned on this thread a number of times, it says in Step 6 “If the New Firmware option still does not appear, please Contact Us” for additional support."  I reckon the chances of getting a reply from WD are probably slimmish (perhaps I’m doing them a disservice, but based on their quality control with firmware updates, I doubt it), so I thought I would ask here. 

What do I do when the orange New Firmware menu option doesn’t appear?

Thanks in advance for any help.

westham: 

I’ve neve rseen Media Library update automatically every 30 seconds – at least with Network storage – that’s what the “Rescan” Option menu is for.   And as for updating USB storage, that still works for me…  and the Rescan option is there in case it doesn’t.

Skip to Desired Time function is still there – just press the SEARCH button.

Deleted Files disappear after a Rescan.

You read the rollback instructions, but did you use the Rollback FIRMWARE?

Or maybe he didn’t know he needs to edit the .ver file in the FW to show a HIGHER version than what is installed on the Hub if he’s NOT using the rollback version?

Just in case…

Download the FW revision you want to use

Unzip the files to a USB device

Edit wdtvlivehub.ver on the USB device with Notepad or a text editor

A) You need to edit this > VERSION=‘3.06.14’ or whatever numbers are there to a higher number than what you 
         currently have installed on the Hub.

The Hub will see it then because it appears to be a new FW to the Hub. It will install and your Hub will reflect the
          PROPER/CORRECT version of the FW when you check the ABOUT option in the setup menu of the Hub. So
         don’t worry about it being a different number than what you are actually installing.

Then go stick it in the Hub and rollback to your happy version of the FW!

Did I get that right?

So here is what i have noticed so far.

After working around the video-run.xml issue there are still a few things the developers may want to put their attention to.

1. increased connectivity issues with external WD USB Devices. I have reported this issue for the previous version already and gave details to one of the mods personally after being asked for them. This has gotten worse. Once the external device has been powered off I can’t get it back into the file system without a cold reset of the Live Hub. When rolling back to 3.0 - 3.5 this issue is consitantly not existant.

2. network connectivity in standby modus is increasingly unsufficient. The longer the device is sleeping the longer it takes to wake it up through the network. I can’t remember that I ever had to wait to connect to the drive.

3. Launching a video takes 2 times longer than before with mkv and avi files… takes 4 times longer with mp4 files

4. Not that i’d miss it but my thumbnails for YouTube are gone

5. i remember Twonky server being faster but i could be wrong.

Dislikes and Suggestion

i dislike that the video stops when hitting the options because my old but brilliant AV receiver can not balance out delays i have to do it on the device (-200ms consitantly) for that matter i launch the video (takes longer now) hit the options button and with a 2 seconds delay the options screen turns up and stops the video 2 seconds into the file. This is like Rush Hours in L.A. :laughing: Developers should make a permamnent delay option in the sound settings where people with a permanent lip sync issue can make the adjustment in their standard settings, this would make a whole lot of sense. The playback shouldn’t stop by pressing the options menu, anyone who desires this outcome can opt this by hitting the pause button, no need for a force fed behavior.

TonyPh12345 & flhthemi

Thank you for your suggestions.

I didn’t make it clear that I only ever use the internal hard disk storage of the Hub to play video files, copied through a slow network connection from my PC.  Once watched, they are deleted. 

Regarding the automatic library rescan, a few updates ago, within a minute of a new file transfer finishing, the WD light would flash and the Media Library list would add a new entry.  Not any more.  Yesterday even a rescan didn’t lead to an update of the LIbrary list (which led me to register here).  Is there a cache that perhaps needs clearing?  is that what “Clear Media Library” does (I was concerned that it was a Delete All function)?

I definitely was using the rollback version, and I tried again this morning.  The same - the device recognises that a USB has been plugged in - the WD light flashes and the screen says “Compling media library”, then nothing.

Ok, this may sound dumb, but try the rescan TWICE.

@westham make sure you have the Hub set to auto update firmware in the setup menu prior to inserting the USB device with the firmware on it.

I’ve been having trouble playing MPEG Video with PCM audio. The video files play correctly for a few minutes and then lose audio. I am using stereo audio and an HDMI cable to my TV.

Once the audio is lost, I can only get it to work again by restarting the Hub.

I rolled back the firmware to version 3.06.14 and the problem has gone away. I’ve tested for a few hours with no other changes and this appears to be only an issue with the lastest firmware.

stinger wrote:

The video files play correctly for a few minutes and then lose audio.

I’m had the same issue with Netflix (and it has never been an issue before).

Netflix will either just completely freeze or will lose audio and the hub needs a complete power off/on before it returns.

I also rolled back to the v3.06.14 firmware and it seems to be working fine again.

I experienced this as well with Netflix per the audio drop per the 3.07.14 firmware.  I’ve also had occasional issues where, if I back out of play (back to menu) of an ISO (DVD) and then attempt to resume play (by pressing Resume, not Restart), the screen will stay black and sometimes the WD Live Hub will even reboot.  I have a USB drive hooked up to it and I believe it may have occurred when playing a DVD ISO on it.

I should mention that I did the full (three-fold) reset process before and after installing firmware also.  I upgraded from 2.07.17 version of firmware.

with this new update i have a serious problem with video player!!!..it doesnt support anymore the *skip to desired time* feature for any avi video…only when i play mkv files its available. It is a big miss because i cant watch movies as i was before…its sad i need this feature back!!! 

tgiako wrote:

with this new update i have a serious problem with video player!!!..it doesnt support anymore the *skip to desired time* feature for any avi video…only when i play mkv files its available. It is a big miss because i cant watch movies as i was before…its sad i need this feature back!!! 

You still have it. It will show on SOME avi files too. I don’t know why some and not others. But if it is NOT showing press the SEARCH button on the remote (the one that looks like a magnifying glass) It WILL pop up on the screen then.