New Release - Firmware Version 2.10.12-129 for My Book Live (3/14/12)

What if I select Shut Down from the right click menu in the system tray, to shake it out of this mess?  How would I power up again?

Unplug the drive and plug it back in.

I still cannot see the Dashboard or any other part of the UI after upgrading.

I ran the upgrade via a link on Quick View. It showed normal-looking status messages (downloading n%, etc.), and ran to completion after probably 45 minutes. It emailed me a “Firmware update successful” message, with an event code of 2004.

I tried opening the Dashboard – it tried loading for about 15 seconds, then showed nothing. I restarted the browser and tried again. Nothing. I shut down the MyBookLive via Quick View, then unplugged/plugged it back in. Still no UI.

Has anyone tried to download the deb file locally to his/her hard drive first and then install manually instead of choosing the automatic procedure?

Doesn’t the manual update procedure require using the UI?

Kind of a chicken–egg situation.

Hi, 

I also was stuck on the “Upgrading at (10%)”, so i decide to do it manually and I did work, I was able to upgrade it.

here are the steps a used:

* Download the upgrade file using my PC, then copy the firmware (apnc-021012-129-20120308.deb) to the NAS public directory

*login to my NAS drive : ssh root@mybooklive.local

*Manually update it : updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/shares/Public/apnc-021012-129-20120308.deb

* wait and it will reboot

this is my ouput:

MyBookLive:~#  updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/shares/Public/apnc-021012-129-20120308.deb
version_newfile=021012129
version_current=021009124
package_newfile=apnc
master_package_name=apnc

Broadcast message from root@MyBookLive (Thu Mar 15 16:44:29 2012):

The system is going down for reboot NOW!
MyBookLive:~# Connection to mybooklive.local closed by remote host.
Connection to mybooklive.local closed.

Regards,

1 Like

baja2k2: Can you be more specific about this step:

This is what I got:

ssh: connect to host mybooklive.local port 22: Connection refused

I’m hoping this isn’t something that I would have had to enable *before* WD did its upgrade damage.

Hi,

You have to have ssh enable, you may enable using the UI interface:

http://mybooklive.local/UI/ssh

check the enable option.

and yes WA_Billy, probably, you had to eneble the ssh acces before the damage.

Also make sure your NAS respond to the name http://mybooklive.local, some user only need to name it http://mybooklive or use it ip number

Thanks for trying to help, but I can only imagine that would have been a very useful link, if WD hadn’t blown away my UI back in November when I applied their firmware “upgrade”.

It has been several months, and *this* is what they give me? Something that doesn’t even fix the problem? (even though that seems to be the only thing this upgrade supposedly fixes)

Th is exactly the same problem I had with the previous two firmware updates.  I don’t trust the Web UI to perform the update so like you I’m bypassing it and doing the direct way, bypassing the Web UI…   AGAIN!

baja2k2 wrote:

Hi, 

I also was stuck on the “Upgrading at (10%)”, so i decide to do it manually and I did work, I was able to upgrade it.

* Download the upgrade file using my PC, then copy the firmware (apnc-021012-129-20120308.deb) to the NAS public directory

*Manually update it : updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/shares/Public/apnc-021012-129-20120308.deb

this is my ouput:

MyBookLive:~#  updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/shares/Public/apnc-021012-129-20120308.deb
package_newfile=apnc
master_package_name=apnc

Regards,

The firmware could have enabled the ssh as the default.  Looks to me that many people were not able to get MBL working again if ssh wasn’t enabled; or have the reset button REALLY reset the system so that the user can get the MBL working again without doing a RMA.

Well, /usr/local/NSPT/WDSafe/lib/CopyHandler.pm still has not been fixed.

Within sub CopyDryrun

Is . . .

$cmd = "rsync -rtDviH --delete --stats --dry-run ".
           "\"$sp->{from_path}\/\" \"$sp->{to_path}\" 2> /dev/null";

Should be . . .

$cmd = "rsync -rtDviH --delete --stats --dry-run ".
           "--exclude-from \"$sp->{excl_list}\" ".
           "\"$sp->{from_path}\/\" \"$sp->{to_path}\" 2> /dev/null";

(Sigh…)

Happy to announce that the firmware upgrade went without a hitch, but I did the upgrade from the Linux shell and didn’t use the WebUI.  :smiley_cat:

I am perplexed. Why have some people got issues and mine’s running fine?

I followed the manual approach suggested above by baja2k (thanks) and it worked.  It’s just as well I’ve messed around with ssh before (and indeed had already enabled ssh on my drive), so this didn’t seem so daunting.  Doesn’t particularly inspire confidence, but fingers crossed it is now sorted.

baja2k2 wrote:

Hi, 

this is my ouput:

package_newfile=apnc
master_package_name=apnc

Regards,

So, basically

a) you copy the deb file to the root folder of your shares

b) you ssh to MBL with putty (or something similar) (requires SSH to be enabled in the MBL)

c) run script: updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/shares/Public/apnc-021012-129-20120308.deb

d) wait until upgrade is finished and MBL restarts

Am I correct?

Anything new on this “UI” problem?

I got the alert about new firmware and decided to give it a go.  The past few updates have gone without incident.  I’ve been downloading the update file first, and then using the “Dashboard” (aka UI) to do the update using the local file.

This one went OK, at first.  The update screen went from 5% to 10% then 50%, 70% abnd 90%.  It finished in about 7 or 8 minutes, and I got the success message and the success e-mail.

The screen went back to the Dashboard, but only with a menu bar across the top.  I tried to use the “Settings” menu to check the firmware version, but got no response.  I think I was able to start the Dashboard one more time using the right click menu of the “Quick View” item in the task bar, but it was unresponsive.  I tried rebooting the PC and then couldn’t get Dashboard to start.  I just get a blank screen and a “Waiting for 192.168.2.10”, which is, of course, the local IP address of my MyBookLive.

Access to the files on the MBL is normal.  I really only use it as a basic shared file server.  No remote access, no media serving, etc.

I tried rebooting the router and got no change.  I have updated the WD Smartware on 2 of my networked PCs and get the same thing on both.  File access works OK, and Smartware can see the MBL, but no access to the UI.

The only thing I need to try is a full power off restart of the MBL, which I can’t do until later today.

Any suggestions?  I never messed with the shell access, so I can’t see how I can do any future updates without the Dashboard.  Will this have to go to a RMA situation?

Thanks!

the HumpMan

HumpMan:

Once your UI is hosed, you’re basically unable to manage the drive, so adding users and reconfiguring anything having to do with security is not possible. That includes adding remote access from WD2Go and WD Photos.

Updating firmware, for what little it’s worth, is still possible directly from the Quick Access menu, when a new firmware is released. Good luck.

WD:

I havent’ seen anyone on this forum get the UI problem resolved by any means other than RMA. In my case, that’s not an easy option without buying another drive to back up this one first. I got this drive to back up an old PC I was getting rid of, and it has many years of family photos and videos stored on it.

When I do make the move to replace this drive, it’s definitely not going to be a WD product, and based on this experience, I will be posting negative reviews on Amazon and other sites.

updating seems ok. But still problems!

After updating: problems with pictures on my tv not solved. (small pictures, see other topic). Twonkey isn’t updated.

After updating: NEW problem: My music is NOT playing well anymore. On tv the twonkey-server music errors in playing. Speeding up the music with errors. How sad, this WAS working FINE before!!!

I have not tested my movies jet, but this does NOT look good… I am very disappointed for the moment.

Myron,

Your post about the Issues in our code is incorrect. If you look at the term “dry-run”,  it is just that… a Dry run of the safepoint… not the real thing… So the exclude is not needed. You shouldn’t really post stuff like this if you don’t have the facts…

Those having issues of the download being stuck at 10% can reboot the My Book Live, then download the update manually, and apply the upgrade manually. We are investigating why the firmware update gets stuck at 10% for some people.

If you have issues with the Dashboard being inaccessible, please contact our customer support team to help you out. You can still access your data through normal means (Samba, AFP).

We are looking at a more substantial update in April to address some of the issues that have cropped up over the last few months. As a note, this does not include a new Twonky version.

Tony