New Release - Firmware Version 2.07.17 for WD TV Live Hub (8/2/11)

Vistawall wrote:

Can some of our contributors to this community confirm if this problem of ISO DVD playback issue is resolved in this release of Firmware Version 2.07.17.

Yes, it’s fixed.

Just finished updating my unit; my “change view” button (the yellow one) doesn’t seem to work anymore, I have to go up to the icon and there push OK to toggle between the different views. Does anyone else have this problem?

Edited to add: None of the “color” buttons are working.

Well as far as I can see, none and I mean NONE of the features requested are in, and the filter buttons no longer work, as someone stated, why worry about services when they don’t work in the uk anyway! MY GOD WD, your having a serious joke on us!

Reading release notes while this thing updates… whiiirrr… whiiirrrr… 

Facebook… schmacebook… schmaceschmook… blah… blah… blah…

How about WD get WAY ahead of the curve and connect to G+!  That’d be awesome!  

(goes to play 15 minutes of Angry Birds)

Still not updated yet… gah… It’s been a long time since I saw that grassy field background… Kinda makes me wanna play Duck Hunt    ;-)  

Ooo!  Loading!  Are catigories across the bottom in a new order now… 

1 Like

Wow. Step 2 takes a loooooooong time.

About 15 minutes??

Anyway, my color buttons still work correctly…

Step 2/2 wont complete. I.ve tried downloading firmware and putting into root directory of a usb stick however system says it is upto date.

I can’t connect anymore via my computer.

I don’t know how to downgrade and try again. Can anybody help please

PS. I’ve tried resetting a couple of times however keep getting firmware 2/2 did not complete. I have the network settings as a static IP

Regards Tony

Check the KB article on Rollback in the support.wdc.com website.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/search/1/kw/5860

USB stick don’t work. You need to use a USB drive with the copied firmware files in the root directory.

I got the stuck at 2/2 problem.  I resolved it first doing a factory reset of all settings, then using a USB thumb drive to downgrade to the first 2.x release (which calls itself 4.x for some reason), and then another usb thumb drive to perform the upgrade to 2.07.17.  That did the trick.

Another hint:  You MUST let the device completely power up after pressing the power button BEFORE sticking in the USB drive in order for the unit to detect the firmware update.

I’m also stuck on the Step 2/2. I keep restarting the device and it can’t complete it.

Is there a solution without rolling back?

Firmware updated w/o problem. It seems all is working.

A lot of app is useless for me in Brazil.

Great firmware update - went slow, but since I’ve had the device all updates worked fine - so I just walked away and came back in 30 min.  All that’s left now is to add Amazon VOD.  I see the Hulu Plus idea came in slightly before the Amazon VOD, so there’s hope for the next release, I guess!!!  :wink:

With Netflix’s price increase, looking for viable streaming alternatives (not download-then-play svcs like Blockbuster)

It’s great to see updates for this product… it is a great product

1. I am waiting for higher HD size version, like 2TB or 3TB, connecting USB devices slows down the transfer rate if it has to come from ethernet to the device and then to USB, USB is too slow for transferring large amounts of data

2. There should be a way to play movies in a row within a given folder (so folder level not system level as is already in place), some kind of a “repeat all” within the folder, so when a movie ends, it will go on to the next movie

3. Playing Queue is way too awkward. The list should be in a consecutive order starting with the last movie seen

• see below my point 11) for suggestion and sorting by last played
  1. There should be an option to “Continue from last point” and switching the user into the Movies Folder last viewed (if last time the user was playing a movie) and highlighting the movie as well

– this is relevant mostly to Movies, so maybe a Movie specific option for this, “Continue from last Point” would be a nice switch, maybe have it right on the main screen, there is nothing used on the top and middle anyway, just a checkmark in there.

1. There is still a bug for weather, it is showing the right time for Phoenix, but the weather is about 20-30 degrees off. I picked the right timezone Arizona, there is no option to select the city, but it’s showing 78 degrees and this not right, it is around 100 degrees now. 

If you should weather, you should have a City to select, not just assume some city in the Timezone.

1. The menus are quite hard to navigate, and it would be nice to see a description for them all by pressing a menu, for example what is “Auto Play” within Operation within Setup?

2. support for multiple WD Live Hub devices

• the remote controls all devices at once… no thought was given to this, i just want to control one device, not all

• there should be a way to select for a remote to control a specific WD Live Hub device… or all, an option to allow for this though

1. a Cleanup option on folder level should be in place
  • sometimes the photos don’t show up for movies even if there is a proper JPG file, but if i move that movie somewhere, the picture will show – some kind of picture to movie association issue, a Cleanup would cause a re-scan of the whole directory after erasing the hidden files that handle the association
  1. not lately, but in the past I would copy 10 files through Mac, but upon completion those files would be erased on WD device… the copy had some kind of a problem, so i wouldn’t know if it really copied or not until a few seconds after the copying finished – definitely an issue with WD device. I haven’t seen it in the last 2 firmwares though, so maybe you addressed this already

2. if there is nothing connected to the device, then clicking on Videos from the main menu should skip the “WDTVLiveHub” folder to click on right after clicking on Videos – there is nothing else to select, so just enter it. I understand if there is something attached this list will not just be 1 entry, but if it is just one, enter it

– this goes along with having an Option to enter the Folders for Videos to begin with… and furthermore an option to return to the last Video folder i was in – this would be SUPER USEFUL to people who mostly use the device for videos

1. more on the topic of Queue…

why why why is the Recently Viewed list alphabetized? It should be consecutive, starting with most recently viewed movie. instead of 2 columns with names, have 1 row per movie with these details:

Last_Viewed | Position_Time | Total_Time | Movie_Name 

2011-08-02 8:06pm | 00:46 | 01:32 | Name_of_movie_here

this way it’s super clear what was viewed and when 

----- This is a great product (hardware wise), it is slow to transfer to and from over ethernet (even slower via USB), but it’s a great product, it works, doesn’t crash… but the interface needs some help still.

A lot has changed in the last 12 months with this product, it is much better than it started out with the first Firmware versions when the Audio/Subtitles would be put in the middle of the screen - it’s a great product just the Menus need some more work … and it’s coming along … thank you

One more comment on Subtitles, some movies can have many tracks for Subtitles, it would be nice if by pressing Subtitles button continously, it would turn the subtitles off – as a benefit being able to turn Subtitles off, or start from the start of the Subtitles options

Thank you for this and previous firmwares, and I hope you take note of my suggestions and put some in place.

2 Likes

Like a few others, mine was stuck at 2/2 update. Tried a rollback but no luck there.  My device won’t see USB firmware update, I tried various USB devices, formatted by Mac and by PC.  It never recognizes that there is a firmware update via USB.  

Thought I was stuck in limbo with each time I rebooted, it would check the 2/2 update and fail.  Then I let it sit for a while unattended and now rebooted and it says the system is at 2.07.17, and check for new update says the media player is up to date.  Wha happnin?

Looks like we are in the same boat. Device reports firmware to be 2.07.17 and attempts to complete part 2/2 everytime it is restarted, furthermore attempting to access Hulu hangs the device.

WD FOLKS PLEASE GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER AND FIX THIS MESS.

1. by the time such drives exist, the hub will be long since discontinued.
  2. you can do that by pressing PLAY on the folder.
  3. you probably never set your location within the weather app? Phoenix reports 106 as I write…
  4. that’s what the user manual is for. Auto play is described there.
  5. most people won’t have more than one within range.
  6. youre the first to mention it…

I agree, it is a mess. I don’t understand why they spend time on new functionality if there are still issues with the device and i also want to be able to disable/choose the new stuff (don’t want the Services).

I am wondering about this one:

http://www.xtreamer.net/xtreamer-prodigy-upgraded/

Managed to fix it i’m running 2.07.17 now, it’s not for the faint of heart: YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

This is what i did:
-Downloaded 2.6.10 firmware, unzipped the contents of the package to the root folder of a USB Drive

-Edit the wdtvlivehub.ver file on the root of the USB Drive (Use a decent editor like Notepad++ not notepad as the file is unix formatted)

-Change the line that read VERSION='2.06.10’ to VERSION='2.07.17’ (or any other version higher than 2.07.17), don’t worry this will not affect the version the device will report)

-Remove the USB drive from your PC and insert it into your WDTV Live Hub.

-At the Sync USB Prompt Click Cancel

• Wait a few seconds for the “New Firmware” option to appear on the main menu, select it and let it update the firmware

-Once finished, unpack the 2.07.17 files to your USB drive and update again (don’t edit anything)

If you ask me, seems that updates over wifi are broken for this release, this is how i first attempted to update the device and it got stuck at 2/2.

Even worse, seems like rollback doesn’t work unless you modify the .ver file to make the device believe you are upgrading to a newer firmware.

My $.02. Hope someone finds it useful.

Yes, thanks for the info, 5) is not an issue, I didn’t setup the location within AccuWeather, now I have

1. There is still a bug for weather, it is showing the right time for Phoenix, but the weather is about 20-30 degrees off

More on 4) I am talking about when the system comes on after power-on with the remote, it would be nice to have an option to jump immediately within the last Folder used in Videos (when the option is set), so that i don’t have find the Videos button, press, navigate through folders, press… instead I want to be right in the folder i was in last time.

here is 4) again

1. There should be an option to “Continue from last point” and switching the user into the Movies Folder last viewed (if last time the user was playing a movie) and highlighting the movie as well

– this is relevant mostly to Movies, so maybe a Movie specific option for this, “Continue from last Point” would be a nice switch, maybe have it right on the main screen, there is nothing used on the top and middle anyway, just a checkmark in there.