New Release - Firmware Version 2.05.08 for WD TV Live Hub (4/12/11)

Slundber,

Well I never update any firmware to any device from wireless connection. It’s a rule to use the ethernet port or serial or even using the flash disk. I’m glad that you problem is fixed, but ours it didnt.

Dear WD DEVs,

You played also with the GUI brightness, I prefer the previous firmware brightness settings. After upgrading, the menu (GUI) looks brighter. I have the Sony Bravia HX800 with nice deep black colors. Now the black looks awful > greyish  

I just hate now also the Screen saver… IT’S TOO BRIGHT! :frowning:

Even the Arabic language setting should be written like that   – > العربية  not vice versa ة ي ب ر ع ل ا .

Please restore back the Brightness / Gamma levels, or just give us the ability to adjust  the brightness, contrast, saturation, gamma levels as we want from the menu.

Please WD team consider the issues, I’m downloading the downgrade file:

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/Rollback_wdtvlivehub_​release_2.04.13.zip to roll back :cry:

I’m sorry I didn’t give more time to test the firmware and send more feedbacks, but other cosumers here are posting the firmware issues.

Regards.

Additional note: It appears Blu-Ray ISO containers are still not supported.

What exactly do you mean by “not supported”?

The Live, Live Plus and Live Hub have all been playing from Blu-Ray .iso files for quite some time.  It is supported.

What is not supported (and apparently never will be, from what I’ve seen WD keep saying over in the Ideas Lab) is Blu-Ray menus, since they tend to require Java.

Great update!  Netflix interface is MUCH better and you can now search! I didn’t know you had to re-register the device.  It just prompted me for my Netflix username/password and all was well.  I didn’t have to deal with the device ID thing.   I haven’t tried the parental controls yet, but I’m glad they incorporated that.  Now, if we can only get Amazon VOD.  Thank you so much, WD, for keeping up with the updates!!! :slight_smile:   

“not supported” = the WD Live Hub reporting it is an unsupported format when attempting to launch a BD ISO container with the full BD structure inside it.

It doesn’t provide any ability to play the files it -does- support inside the container. It simply reports as unsupported.

There are competitor media devices currently able to play them in this way, not requiring the OEM to license for java menu support. Short of having full menu support, at-least being able to play (select) supported files inside the container is a fully reasonable expectation for a dedicated media center device.

WDTV Live Hub was specifically chosen because it offers the (that I could find) most formats across the spectrum. So I’m quite surprised to find it can’t process supported formats -inside- the container regardless of menus. The structure is well defined.

I’ve already done a large selection of my DVD to ISO and this was the 1st BD I tried (concert). For completeness I’ll pull a BD Movie off the shelf and see if the outcome is the same or different.

my BD-ISOs are working, meaning it plays the main feature.

I see a lot of negative responses, but so far this new firmware is a win.

New Netflix Interface: WIN (although typing in full username and password was a PITA, it’s a one time thing.)

New CinemaNow Service: Jury’s out, looks promising but selection is limited.

New Parental Controls:

Individual Service Control with password when requested: WIN

Lock a folder Control: Great step in the right direction.  I’d rather see this act more like the services.  Don’t hide the folder, but if I navigate there ask for the password. (Or let me hit Options to ‘unlock’ without navigating through setup.)  It’s a few too many clicks to unlock when the parents want to watch something.  Still, not complaining, but would be happy for more.

• A Happy Customer.

Good for you, I no longer have access to Netflix. Not a win! :smileyvery-happy:

I just registered with the site to say thanks for the new firmware. I’m a Canadian subscriber to Netflix and LOVE that I no longer need to power up my noisy old PS3 to enjoy the service. Awesome.

On a side note, my apologies to WD techs and engineers reading all the snotty complaints on here. It’s one thing for people to have interesting ideas to move the hardware forward, but the “you owe me” attitudes I’m seeing in this thread are sickening. The product does exactly what we were told it would do, and in my humble opinion is the best media box available.

The forum is also for those of us experiencing issues. I don’t see any posts I would be “sickened” by. Don’t be so thin skinned! :wink:

You are right, it’s just the bad attitudes that are bugging me. Seriously, how hard is it to a) Report a problem without being a [deleted]. b) Suggest a new feature you would enjoy without being a [deleted]. 

Posts that sound something like this; “Still no [Deleted] suport for xx.yy.net files streamed from my homebrew linux mystery machine on a token ring network! [Deleted] WD you **bleep**!” are what’s bugging me. A lot of the features being “requested” are not going to be used by 99% of the WD TV community.

4 Likes

Okay, there are some that go to far. My apologies.

What is this with the extra fast scrolling of the text longer than one line?

YUNOTROLL wrote:

You are right, it’s just the bad attitudes that are bugging me. Seriously, how hard is it to a) Report a problem without being a [deleted]. b) Suggest a new feature you would enjoy without being a [deleted]. 

Posts that sound something like this; “Still no [Deleted] suport for xx.yy.net files streamed from my homebrew linux mystery machine on a token ring network! [Deleted] WD you **bleep**!” are what’s bugging me. A lot of the features being “requested” are not going to be used by 99% of the WD TV community.

Great post.

The Feature Requests should be in the ideas lab where they can be voted on.   A few of us have asked WD for a feature in there to vote NO on certain things, with the intent being that people can say they don’t want WD to waste their time on such a request.  :smileyvery-happy:

1 Like

A BD Movie ISO (Elizabeth for the wife) also fails to play on the WDTVLH with same “Unsupported format” issue.

So, what application are people using here spitting out a BD ISO the WD “does” like? I purchased Pavtube Blu-ray Copy specifically for this purpose. The ISO it makes is fully functional and extractable using ancient WinRAR and plays perfectly using VLC player. So what precisely is the WDTVLH having a problem with? Does anyone know? If there’s a dedicated thread already about this issue then throw a link and I’ll move to there.

IronSpine:   I haven’t tried BD ISO in a LOOONG time.   I just usually pull out the M2TS that has the main feature.

But at any rate, perhaps the file that the WD *THINKS* is the main feature isn’t supported.

That could mean a bunch of different things, though… 

Maybe the WD is picking the wrong file out of the ISO.  Maybe it’s having trouble MOUNTING the ISO for some reason.  

What happens if you break open the ISO, copy the STREAM folder out?   Is it able to play then?

IronSpine: try makemkv.com

OK I updated to  2.05.08 but I was forced to downgrade last night to the  2.03.24 here is why!

*  The  2.05.08 Firmware completely changed the Screen Brightness (Gamma Level) which was unacceptable as it was impossible to watch the washed out almost grey scale blacks on my PLASMA TV, Plasma tv’s are noted for pitch Blacks which is why I still have a PLASMA TV and movie watching experience is best with deep Blacks.

Sorry WD You will have to go back to drawing board and fix the Gamma levels changed in this release.

*  There is intermittent issue wherein the player would display  “UNABLE TO PLAY THIS TYPE OF FILE FORMAT” even though it is a supported file (DVD ISO)… it gets even worse, The same file was played and stopped and when I attempted to play again it displayed “UNSUPPORTED FILE”…

WD’s Quality control team must have been sleeping on their job or it could be worse that there is no QA perhaps?.. Who knows…

I am done testing this release as other fixes and features makes no sense if the picture quality is so poor…

Life has other important things… to do … 

Sorry WD team, I do not know how this could have slipped the QA department , You screwed this up big time with this release… 

Sigh! :angry:

1 Like

Argus: Based on my custom theme it appears they may have either changed the way the scroll speed scale works compared to before or otherwise made a change that affects the speed.

On mine, it now scrolls extraordinarily slow. In fact it looks like it’s per pixel.

Tony: It’s the 1st 0000 file it can’t play. The rest are fine. The goal with ISO is being able to maintain the original (100%) contents in digital form so when there eventually is a player that can do a BD ISO (full menu, the workds) just like we get with DVD, I will immediately purchase that device and throw away what-ever device I have at the time unless I find some other use for it.

Edited: Nope not fine. It sees a 45Gig file (the concert itself) as being 18 minutes long, can’t properly jump to time frames within it and resets itself back to the begining of the file once it gets near its incorrect length estimate. So it appears I’ll even have to go as far as converting the thing to MP4 or MKV just to see it.

beatmaster: Already have it. That’s not the issue. It’s the WD failing to navigate the ISO until it hits a file it -can- play. Looks like I won’t even be able to store them in pure form since the WD can’t do it. I’ll have to do it manually. Oh well.

In 2.05.08, the scrolling behavior was changed from CHARACTER to PIXEL.

I can’t tell if they modified the SPEED value for SOME of the themes’ elements, or if it’s all scaled internally, but yeah, they missed some of them resulting in excruciating slow scrolling…