New Release - Firmware Version 1.07.15 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (2/29/12)

how did you do the rollback? I live in CR too

Is it me or is there something wrong here: They fixed it to view *most probably pirated* content better, while blocking the legal content, albeit accessed through quasi legal ways, like VPN.

Your choice of gray. Itā€™s mp3 wars all over again. There is no lost revenue if you provide content with reasonable prices.

We could argue all day or you can just do the rollback.

Juangra,

I did it as I was told in other post: hereā€™s the text:

Strider_Nemesis

Re: Netflix

7 hours ago - last edited 7 hours ago

Even though the Netflix app does work in Latin American countries, it is not officially supported by the WD TV Live SMP, except in Brazil.

Now that WD thought of the brilliant idea of adding a geolocation check to the device when upgrading the firmware (and when resetting it, apparently), you wonā€™t be able to make it work. I recommend that you downgrade to a previous version of the firmware. It should appear with that, but you may need to reset the device again after applying the downgrade.

Check here:Ā  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center-or-wd-tv-live

Also, you could try VPNā€™ing your whole network to appear with an American IP address, and then resetting the device. It may work, and the Netflix app may stick, even if you return to your normal IP address afterwards. According to Bill_S, the geolocation check is only done when applying the firmware upgrade, and when resetting the device.

thanks

Anyone found a convenient way already to temporarily use a VPN with the player? ā€œIs it me or is there something wrong here: They fixed it to view *most probably pirated* content better, while blocking the legal content, albeit accessed through quasi legal ways, like VPN.ā€ Hey WD, I have a suggestion for you! Why donā€™t you include a RSS reader, a BT search engine and the transmission client? This would make the copyright owners even happier! :wink: I think that this pretty nicly sums it up: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

Benedetti wrote:

Netflix is also legal to use in my country, Costa Rica, i did a rollback and the Netflix app came backā€¦ I will not install any new firmware until WD confirms that this will not happend againā€¦ Iā€™m Not happy with WD right now.

Why do you insist on blaming WD for this?

Nowhere on WDā€™s website does it say the SMP works with Costa Rica.

YOU made a mistake.   YOU made the assumption that it ā€œShouldā€ work, yet YOU blame WDā€¦

You can hold your breath; WD has already told you what countries are supported via NetFlix on the SMPā€¦ 

You need to read better.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Sorry for sounding dense, but Iā€™m trying to figure out which issue you have.

On my system, it will bring up my queue, let me browse around for a while, and then hang when starting a movie.  If I then hit BACK, it will tell me I am de-authorized and make me sign in again.

Is that the same for you?  Or does it go to the ā€œAre you a subscriber?ā€ page as soon as you start the app?

Either Way, these are both ā€œknownā€ issues that are in the ā€œIssues Reportingā€ section.  So, depending on which issue you have, you might want to go find the correct one and ā€œvoteā€ for it.

> * * *

Itā€™s done both for me.  Iā€™ve got 2 WD boxes.  I updated one, and it forgot my Wifi network (againā€¦always seems to happen after firmware updatesā€¦), and forgot my Netflix credentials so that I had to sign in again when I launched it.  That box has also randomly forgotten my credentials at startup, and sometimes, as you describe, once I actually try to play a movie and it hangs, it then signs me out.  

The other box hasnā€™t received the firmware update yet, and when I launched Netflix on it, it just took me right to the ā€œAre you a subscriber?ā€ dialog box, just like the first box.  That one has also sometimes hung while trying to view a movie only to kick me back out to the sign-in page.

With all the rumors about the next AppleTV due out any day now (and its supposed 1080p capability), the advantages of this buggy piece of sh!t are waning pretty darn fast.  I canā€™t recall a purchase that Iā€™ve been more disappointed in than these WDTV boxes.  I wanted to like them, but the UI is just so inconsistent and poorly implemented, and it has SO. MANY. BUGS.

Say what you want about being locked into the Apple ecosystem, at least their engineers know how to design consistent, well-thought-out UIs and debug software before releasing it.

Is should be Netflix and BBC with iPlayer, that should stop the service at the countrys they donā€™t want.

Not WD!!

I see the dolby digital issue has still not been resolved in this firmware!!!

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/No-Dolby-Digital-audio-after-1-05-18/td-p/315241/page/2

Quick fixā€¦ I had Netflix in favorites in 1.06.4ā€¦ I upgraded to 1.07.15ā€¦ Itā€™s not in Services put it is Favorites when i press down on remoteā€¦ and it works with DNS work-aroundā€¦ it loads up in about 45 seconds

I lost access to both Netflix and Hulu since I updated to 1.07.15.

I live in PR (USA) and have active accounts on both services for over a year, but since the update last night I canā€™t see neither of them.

Here is what I see:Ā  http://pic.twitter.com/C5dmfRy0

What can I do to restore them? Downgrade to an older firmware? Any other options?

I wonā€™t allow the services that I pay for to be removed, bust because the deviceā€™s firmware thinks I shouldnā€™t have access to them.Ā I think is pretty bad that the device does the geolocation check, instead of the service, because of these kind of issues.Ā 

Totally agreeā€¦ this must be the worst desition ever Iā€™ve seen for the WDTV devices (and Iā€™ve had them since the 1st gen that only played local media). Let the geolocation to the apps themselves, not the device. And please, If Iā€™m paying for a service, WD has no right to deny my access to it, because of some geolocation miscalculation on their sideā€¦ I should have access to these services as I do with any other device (like the Roku and PS3).

the issue is very simple never buy something from WD,I use wii and my android to access the netflix service for which I payment legally, Nintendo and Sony for example is not as ridiculous,does someone suggests another device? Well for now I must make those bad reviews on amazon

**bleep** it.Ā  Iā€™ve been through five firmware versions now, and this device continues to disappoint.Ā  It forgets my network credentials, deauthorizes my Netflix, hangs selecting movies,Ā loses its mind completely at times, it has to write files all over my network shares and has even corrupted a folder on my shares, which wouldnā€™t be possible except for the fact that it requires read/write access to my files.Ā  This was my first WD TV product, and it is definitely my last.Ā  Hopefully I can eBay this thing to someone who doesnā€™t know any better.Ā  Apple TV & XBMC, here I come.

juangra, the Roku also lets you use Netflix and Hulu. The PS3 too does allow to access without any issue.

Is there any problem TonyPh12345? It is Working rigth now, of course I blame WD for this, as a customer i have the right to do so. I read the documentation about it and thereā€™s nothing there there taht says that the device will not work in my country. Can YOU show me where it is written?

Iā€™m an old WD custumer, and I donā€™t want to stop been one. Do you work for WD? If so, you should really think about the you write things. You are not polite at all.

Benedetti wrote:

Can YOU show me where it is written?

Sure.  Itā€™s all over the WD website; and the last I looked, itā€™s also all on the box.  Next to the NetFlix and BlockBuster logos it says ā€œUS ONLY.ā€

It also says it in the User Manualā€¦in no fewer than THREE PLACES.

For example, go here:   http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

Click ā€œOnline Servicesā€

Select your country. 

Oh, wait.  Your country isnā€™t listed.   Hmmm.

Ok, so click ā€œAll Services.ā€

Select NetFlix.

It says ā€œUS, Canada, and Brazil Only.ā€

Your country isnā€™t listed.  NetFlix doesnā€™t work in your country with the SMP.

Muhahaha! When I first bought the EMEA version the website did not specifically list separate regions and there was no way to tell that Netflix would not work abroad. The information hasnā€™t been there for too long.

1 Like

My dear TonyPh12345ā€¦

Netflix is working right nowā€¦ country listed or not, it is wokingā€¦ as you said in some other post: Ā ā€œWD doesnā€™t write the NetFlix app; it loads the app from the NetFlix serversā€. So Netflix works for Latin America. Anyway, it is woking now.

1 Like

Thanks for the update! I can understand why some people are upset by the changes, particularly the loss of apps in areas that are supported locally but not within scope of WDā€™s support.

Personally, Iā€™m quite a fan of the WDTV even recognising its limitations - I have a few friends who are also interested in getting one here in the UK.

There are still issues, but at least updates are happening and the device is being supported - this would be the second update since I bought the device this year!

I do have a question though - does this update resolve the issue of the WDTV deleting random folders on NAS boxes if you give it read/write access? There is reference in the release notes to a getinfo change relating to folders, but it doesnā€™t really clarify the issue in any detail. My understanding is that the getinfo function was related to why media was being randomly deleted.

1 Like