New Release - Firmware Version 1.07.15 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (2/29/12)

SHoTTa35 wrote:

Oddly enough when my WDTV SMP booted it says WDTV LIve HUB after that second boot image comes up.

Try resetting your device once the update is finished.

Bill Thanks for your prompt replies. In terms of using geolocation, is this picked up every time the device is turned on? ie does the Netflix app show up in services if I am based in the UK or US at the time of switching on? Also, based on your previous message I reset to factory settings and I’ve now lost the favourite that was still showing netflix. Rollback for me I think.

It appears that based on the IP address, you are using right now, that you are in Portugal.  Once you reset the device, you will lose both services.  And, yes, it pings for location everytime you turn it on.

“Bill Thanks for your prompt replies. In terms of using geolocation, is this picked up every time the device is turned on? ie does the Netflix app show up in services if I am based in the UK or US at the time of switching on? Also, based on your previous message I reset to factory settings and I’ve now lost the favourite that was still showing netflix. Rollback for me I think.”

I just did another upgrade to 1.7.15 and blocked the internet access for the WD tv with my router. As I can’t see Netlix or Vudu it looks like it does a check on every startup and only when successfully locating itself will show the corresponding services. Pfff, rolling back then again, I didn’t have any big issues with 1.6.4 anyway.

Steggl wrote:

“Bill Thanks for your prompt replies. In terms of using geolocation, is this picked up every time the device is turned on? ie does the Netflix app show up in services if I am based in the UK or US at the time of switching on? Also, based on your previous message I reset to factory settings and I’ve now lost the favourite that was still showing netflix. Rollback for me I think.”

I just did another upgrade to 1.7.15 and blocked the internet access for the WD tv with my router. As I can’t see Netlix or Vudu it looks like it does a check on every startup and only when successfully locating itself will show the corresponding services. Pfff, rolling back then again, I didn’t have any big issues with 1.6.4 anyway.

Sorry, I was incorrect on how the geolocation works.  You will need to reset the device back to factory defaults for it to pick up a new region’s services when you move into that region. 

“And, yes, it pings for location everytime you turn it on.”

Sorry, but this is an utterly terrible idea.  I assume this was done to cave to pressure from Hulu/Netflix/et al?  If it was done in an attempt to make customers happy, it’s had the exact opposite effect.  There are many of us living abroad who purchased this box just so we could access services in our home country overseas.  By instituting a geo-check on every single boot, you are guaranteeing that all of us in this group will (1) stick with a relatively buggy 1.06 firmware and (2) seriously consider dumping this box in favor of Roku, Apple TV, etc.  If you want to institute geo-checking, why not just do it once at each firmware update?

I assume nobody has found a work-around yet to update a U.S. box with a U.S. firmware from outside the U.S. (other than having your whole network VPNed)?  I was so excited to purchase this box a week ago, but assuming there is no reliable work-around, I will return it in to the retailer from which it came in the next week or so and purchase from one of your competitors instead.

PatDavidson wrote:

“And, yes, it pings for location everytime you turn it on.”

Sorry, but this is an utterly terrible idea.  I assume this was done to cave to pressure from Hulu/Netflix/et al?  If it was done in an attempt to make customers happy, it’s had the exact opposite effect.  There are many of us living abroad who purchased this box just so we could access services in our home country overseas.  By instituting a geo-check on every single boot, you are guaranteeing that all of us in this group will (1) stick with a relatively buggy 1.06 firmware and (2) seriously consider dumping this box in favor of Roku, Apple TV, etc.  If you want to institute geo-checking, why not just do it once at each firmware update?

I assume nobody has found a work-around yet to update a U.S. box with a U.S. firmware from outside the U.S. (other than having your whole network VPNed)?  I was so excited to purchase this box a week ago, but assuming there is no reliable work-around, I will return it in to the retailer from which it came in the next week or so and purchase from one of your competitors instead.

I’m sorry, but you missed my correction, right above your post.  It does not ping location everytime you start it up.  It will do it on the firmware upgrade, and then after that you have to reset the device to factory defaults for it to register you new location.  And the geolocation is based on your ip address, which that part you got right.  The firmware is the same no matter where you update it.  It just only gives the services for the region you are updating from. 

Resolved Get Content Info conflict caused by folders with similar names.

Can someone explain if this fixes the issue when you have the media library turned on using two or more SMP’s?

OK - Rolled back to previous firmware and gave a reset. 

Working as before now. Thanks for your help.

Bohemus wrote:

Can someone explain if this fixes the issue when you have the media library turned on using two or more SMP’s?

I don’t think they’re the same issue.

I’m in the US (Iowa) and after updating, it can’t connect to my Wifi (but then, it’s incredibly flaky connecting in the first place, even when every other device in the house is fine), and Netflix is gone from my Services.  

By the way: the Netflix app forgets my login/password on a regular basis, and it’s freakin’ annoying!  Also, the device touts CEC compatibility (so that it will turn itself off if you turn the TV off), but Netflix puts up a “Do you want to quit Netflix?” dialog box when you power it off, which renders the feature useless.  Please remove that dialog box (at least for those instances where the power-off was initiated by CEC)!

Okay, after 3 reboots and finally pulling the power plug altogether, it finally reconnected to my wifi and Netflix is back. 

Who wants to bet I’ll have to re-enter my username/password because it’s incapable of remembering it?  Place your bets, folks…

[Edit: Yep! It forgot who I am!  AGAIN! Remind me again why I got this instead of an AppleTV…]

Bohemus wrote:

No.  That issue persists.

Oneota wrote:

[Edit: Yep! It forgot who I am!  AGAIN! Remind me again why I got this instead of an AppleTV…]

It forgets who you are?  Or tells you that it’s been de-authorized?

Remind me again why I got this instead of an AppleTV…]

Maybe because you want to watch things in 1080p? :slight_smile:

1 Like

What’s in this update? Release 1.07.15 (2/29/2012)

• Resolved mp4 video freezing, audio sync and “Unsupported Message” issues.

If I come across some other video file (not a mp4 that you say you have corrected) that the WDTV Live SMP does not like, will it allow me to play other videos and not get the “Unsupported Message” and not require a reboot as was the case with the previous firmware version?

You should be able to back out of any bad video file and try another without requiring a reboot.

• Resolved rescan media library after every reboot.

The unit still seems to rescan the media library after every reboot with the media library turned on and in manual mode with the new firmware. It is necessary for me to turn the media library off to speed-up the start-up process. I turn it on if I know I added new videos to the external hard drive.

Also, is there any way for the WDTV LIVE SMP to tell the MY BOOK 500 gig external hard drive to wake up after it goes to sleep?

I found that the only way to wake it up is to disconnect/reconnect its power.

After doing an auto update to 1.07.15, Netflix has vanished from the Services menu completely.  I wasn’t having any problems with Netflix before the update but obviously I am now… I’m in Costa Rica, and we have the Netflix Service, so, what happend?, why I can´t see the NF app?

Netflix is gone!!! I live outside the USA and before this firmware upgrade netflix was working ok. Netflix is the reason why I bought this device.

How do i roll back?

I need netflix back, I live out the us, but i use it

I’m still waiting for the answer…