New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.15_V for the WD TV Live (8/9/11)

I am having some problems after upgrading to the latest firmware ( 1.06.15_V). When I play movies in DTS or Dobly soundtrack I can see that in the audio option in WD Live, but my Home Theater does not detects it ( it used to automatically switich to DTS/Dolby while playing such tracks).

Now after downgrading to the previous firmware version everthing is working.

I played the same movie with both firmware version.

Cheers,

That’s odd, while poweroff with remote, network interface still up, i even can ping player’s ip.

Also some xvid video with 24 fps with mp3 or aac soundtrack sometimes out of sync (video and sound) after 30 min watching up to few seconds.

If we use this program   http://www.inmatrix.com/files/avifrate_download.shtml and change fps from 24 to 25 and then from 25 to 24 inn header of file, it plays fine.

SoNic wrote:

I am using that “garbage” very well on daily basis. The fact that your crappy network and/or pirated files have issues id not WD problem in my oppinion.

Well SoNic, it’s nice, that the box works out for you - but if you’ve read the posts before mine, you would have noticed, that I am not the single person who is experiencing problems. 

AND BTW - the files I am playing are not only mastered correctly, they are also ALL LEGAL - 100%.

I am using the device purely to manage my HD-SAT Recordings (50fps; *.TS), my SD-SAT Rercordings (mostly TV-Shows, mastered to a DVD Stucture and stored as ISO) and my own HD-Camcorder movies (24fps, M2TS). 

But I am curious what configuration you are running, so that Auto-Framerate does WORK for you - for all of the others is does not work and the majority does not like the fact, that WD continuously implements new bugs, that have not been there before. 

So I would kindly ask you not to blame anyone for something that is incorrect and does not contribute to the discussion at all. 

No one blames someone for a bug, but if know bugs are persistantly not corrected and already working features stop working than every paying customer has the right to complain. If this is happening on a constant basis it is natural that customers are frustrated ! 

Maybe you see it differently, but that’s how I see it. 

Seriously this is simply ridiculous.  Months waiting for this?

Finally the video settings loss seems to be fixed and now they introduce an even worse bug.

My Sony Bravia no longer switchs to 1080p 24p, when I watch 24fps video.

And now my videocamera recordings at 1080i 50i are choppy.

Back to Firmware Ver. 1.05.04_V

See, you have 50Hz. That is NOT correct. Why EU still clings on that stupid frequency for video in the “digital HD” era is past me.

The movies are created at 24Hz. Easy to reproduce at 60Hz, not so easy at 50Hz.

Maybe is a bug for that conversion due to the fact that Autoframe doesn’t work anymore. So before the WDTV was FORCING your TV in 24 or 60 Hz mode, it was all good. Now, because the fact that your TV WANTS 50Hz, the box does some extra framerate conversion.

I have 60Hz so… that is different.

Like I said, if firmware it wasn’t working for nobody, it was WD fault. If it is just a small minority of complains, there is no point of calling their work “garbage”… just analyze your end.

PS: Funny that you didn’t like it when I called your stuff with the same words like you called WD programming… :smileyvery-happy:

SoNic wrote:

See, you have 50Hz. That is NOT correct. Why EU still clings on that stupid frequency for video in the “digital HD” era is past me.

The movies are created at 24Hz. Easy to reproduce at 60Hz, not so easy at 50Hz.

Maybe is a bug for that conversion due to the fact that Autoframe doesn’t work anymore. So before the WDTV was FORCING your TV in 24 or 60 Hz mode, it was all good. Now, because the fact that your TV WANTS 50Hz, the box does some extra framerate conversion.

I have 60Hz so… that is different.

Like I said, if firmware it wasn’t working for nobody, it was WD fault. If it is just a small minority of complains, there is no point of calling their work “garbage”… just analyze your end.

PS: Funny that you didn’t like it when I called your stuff with the same words like you called WD programming… :smileyvery-happy:

I just did not like that you accused me of downloading something illegal which I don’t do and which in fact is something that I hate if people do that. They cause us watch this ugly “do not pirate trailers” on our purchased BluRay’s etc. → that’s what I don’t like ! 

Just a couple of posts before mine, another one also complained about Framerate conversion → so did many of them - and also about other features that are not working. I was concsiously choosing hard words, because there is a long history with the Firmware of the WDTV live, where bugs are ignored and new ones are introduced. Especially for Auto-Frame-Rate → this was a missing feature for so long time - for real movie enthusiasts, this is a must have. 

Now it’s not working again ! And that is frustrating. I’ve purchased the device long ago for over € 100 → now it’s down to € 69 in my country and still doesn’t work → over a year in between ! 

BTW - my TV and my Projector are both handling 24p and all the other modes. But the WDTV live in it’s current shape cannot even play 50Hz files correctly ! It makes 60Hz out of it - only for my SD SAT Recordingsa it does the 50Hz correctly ! 

This was working before - and now it’s not working again ! Therefore - frustration and definitely WD’s fault in my eyes ! 

You must not forget, that it’s become standard nowadays have paying customers beta-test their products that there needs to pressure to get that back on track - meaning: sell products that are working ! Fix issues when the arise and have a realistic and well-planned product development cycle, that does not interfere with the standard maintenance phase of a product ! 

That’s what I am missing with WD - and I am not alone ! 

BTW - was not the first one in this thread who called the Firmware “garbage” :wink:

Hope that explains my thoughts ! 

br, Phil  

Anton wrote:

That’s odd, while poweroff with remote, network interface still up, i even can ping player’s ip.

That’s really ODD - I just checked → and I don’t see that with my box (also 1.6.15 FW). 

br, Philipp 

Just upgraded to  latest 1.06.15. The menus are very slow and my external HDs…non of them are working, Any idea how to fix this? When I plug them in the usb light flashes on and off. Normaly the light will stay on.

The light flashes while the drives are being scanned.

If you try navigating the menus while it’s trying to do its scanning, yes it lack the power to do both, and the menu animations are slow.

But the menus are normal when the scanning is completed and the USB light is constantly illuminated.

woops ment this post for the WD TV Live Plus frimwre update thred. :cry:

RoofingGuy wrote:

The light flashes while the drives are being scanned.

If you try navigating the menus while it’s trying to do its scanning, yes it lack the power to do both, and the menu animations are slow.

But the menus are normal when the scanning is completed and the USB light is constantly illuminated.> * * *

But usually this didn’t take 20 minutes - and my WDTV is doing this scanning-stuff every time I turn it on.

Same issues - no USB detection & sluggish menus

Used the official rollback firmware to rollback to 1.05

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

Used a 250MB USB Flash Drive (no issues). Also tested with 16GB flash drive.

subzero42 wrote:

But usually this didn’t take 20 minutes - and my WDTV is doing this scanning-stuff every time I turn it on.

I can’t explain what’s up with the 20 minutes, but mine’s always scanned both drives every time it’s powered on.  This isn’t the Media Library scanning, but something else.

If I have Media Library off (like I always do) it takes about 45 seconds to scan the drives, if I recall.  I haven’t timed 1.06.15, but it doesn’t seem significantly longer for me.

If I do turn the Media Library on, then ya, it takes several minutes for the drives to scan and become available (but again, not 20 minutes).

Another Bum Deal.

Plays back DTS audio as PCM

Rolling back to 1.04.17V as i have for the last few updates. 

It’s getting silly now…

Same thing with my HD TV Live. Every time I turn the device on it scans my hard drive for at least 5 minutes. It never did that before with previous firmwares… That’s why this firmware is unacceptable for me.

And one another thing. My TV and HDMI output from the device are still not compatible (cable is OK). Used to be OK and once TV just started to display Unsupported format. I know this was also an issue with other users. I just installed composite cables and these work OK. I must chech if WD tryed to fix this problem in meanwhile…

Can you please update the following page: WD Support

It still says: Supports Czech and Dutch languages in the user interface.

This is NOT true. There is NO dutch support, as read in the .pdf file here: Release Notes

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Your latest realese made huge problem to me. My external HDD was connected during uppdate and now it is like formatted or so. Neither my WTTV or my PC can find any document on 500Gb HDD full of my backups and movies!

What it did to my HDD???

What is solution now???

Thanks for any answer!

BR

Mirza

What it did to my HDD???

Unlikely it formatted your disk as it does not have that ability.  More likely you had a power spike or corrupt FAT structure that manifested itself after the upgrade.

What is solution now???

Locate a low level disk recovery software that can read damaged FAT structure and copy file from damaged disk to new disk.

my WTTV or my PC can find any document on 500Gb HDD full of my backups and movies!

Lucky nothing serious lost, only backups … these can be replaced and so can movies. The likes of home movies and photos should always be duplicated in multiple locations (e.g. DVD, and multiple hard drive locations).

What exactly is “on the fly 4:3 to 16:9” supposed to mean?

The “widescreen”/“normal” setting is used to indicate what the aspect of the display panel is.  If you change panels, then you change the setting… if you don’t change the panel, then you leave it at the correct setting.

Why would it ever be alternating between the 2 for the same panel “on the fly”??  Just to deliberately distort the output??

And exactly _ what _ in the file are you expecting to be the “flag” to indicate whether such ludicrous switching should ever take place?

I just went through this in another section:

The “normal” (or “widescreen”) setting isn’t meant to fill the entire screen for all video.  No stretching or squashing is done (unless you choose the wrong settings).  There is no “fit screen”… the file’s display ratio is always used in presenting the material as it was intended to appear.  All the “widescreen”/“normal” setting does is let the WDTV know what is the proper amount of letterboxing/pillarboxing to properly present the material on that kind of display.

If you play 4:3 video on a 4:3 display with it set to “normal”, then the picture will fill the entire screen.

If you play anything past that (including common ratios like 16:9 and 2.35:1) on a 4:3 display with it set to “normal”, then the picture will fill the entire width of the screen, and will be letterboxed to maintain the correct display ratio given by the file.

If you play 4:3 video on a 16:9 display with it set to “widescreen”, then the picture will fill the entire height of the screen, and will be pillarboxed to maintain the correct display ratio given by the file.

If you play 16:9 video on a 16:9 display with it set to “widescreen”, then the picture will fill the entire screen.

If you play >16:9 video on a 16:9 display with it set to “widescreen”, then the picture will fill the entire width of the screen, and will be letterboxed to maintain the correct display ratio given by the file.

If you play 4:3 video on a 4:3 display with it erroneously set to “widescreen”, then the picture will fill the entire height of the screen, but will be squished horizontally (or stretched vertically) and pillarboxed, since the WDTV is “correctly” formatting 4:3 material for 16:9 output.

If you play 16:9 and above video on a 4:3 display with it erroneously set to “widescreen”, then the picture will fill the entire width of the screen, but the incorrect amount of letterboxing will be applied and the picture will appear stretched vertically (or squashed horizontally).

If you play 4:3 video on a 16:9 display with it erroneously set to “normal”, then the picture will fill the entire screen, thus appearing stretched horizontally (or squashed vertically).

If you play 16:9 and above video on a 16:9 display with it erroneously set to “normal”, then the picture will fill the entire width of the screen, but the incorrect amount of letterboxing will be applied and the picture will appear stretched horizontally (or squashed vertically).

Why would you want some files distorted?  And how do you choose which files to distort and which ones to play properly?

If you’re desperate to have distorted files, can’t you just do that when you make the encodes, instead of keeping the studio’s aspect ratio and then expecting the playback device to do it?

I’m utterly lost.

Hi

I am facing a problem with this update. When a play a video (any video) the remote control stops responding. I didnt check the previous pages if this has been mentioned again. This does not happen with previous firmwares, as I have rolled back to the previous one.