New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.22_B for WD TV Live Plus (3/8/11)

WD is happy to announce our latest firmware update for the WD TV Live Plus Media Player.  

Please post your experiences to this thread.

Forgive me for not being excited, I understand that all the fixes included in the firmware release will be very welcome to the people who are experiancing issues that keep them from watching their media … but on the other hand I am also aware that a majority of the issues that are being fixed were also caused by previous firmware which WD released.

It’s also been about 7 months since I purchased my WD Live Plus boxes (three of them), and have seen maybe … MAYBE … two or three ideas from the Ideas Lab implemented, although many of the ideas have been sitting in there for over a year, almost all of which have been worked into b.Rad’s firmware.

And the stuff that did make it into to official WD Firmware just seemed … well, half-assed. USB Keyboard support which took a while to finally “work” comes to mind. And a week after Facebook / Twitter / whatever it was that was dropped into the Ideas Lab magically popped up in he next firmware, like someone at WD wanted it to seem like they were actually reading the Ideas Lab forum and responding. Paranoid, I know, but I am just honestly baffled as to why, exactly, it’s so hard to get some of those ideas working?

Better fast forward / rewind?

USB Hub Support?

Movie Sheets?

To add to your post,

A long time ago, I filed the idea for remote desktop,

taking over your PC and have everything you want without ANY installed program and/or support.

If you can connect to Internet

if you can connect to your hardrives

if you can stream 1080P

if you can stream DTS/ACC etc.

Why not make it possible to stream your desktop/PC and have remote desktop as a feature?

Never got a response, and would solve so many requests.

Albert55 wrote:

Why not make it possible to stream your desktop/PC and have remote desktop as a feature?

Because the 4 features you mention are built-in to the chip, but it is only an 500 MHz processor with limited memory and was never designed to emulate a full PC?

VIDEO_TS navigation - fail

m2t files from HDV camcorders -  ff and rw - fail

reason why I bought my units, right after #1 reason Netflix feature, DVD’s and HDV files, thanks a bunch, i do not care for mkv support, bought my unit in bestbuy, you know average joe , guy who does not download mkv’s from internet. Did not see this coming that WDTV would slip there to fix mkv’s on  account of above mentioned.

Can somebody tell me what version I should go back to have VIDEO_TS ,DVD navigation and samba playback from network,  and bug free Netflix support  at the same time? I lost track.  Thanks.

Is it just me, or does anyone else have problems with the unit not reconnecting to a wireless network automatically upon restarting? Every time I start the unit, I have to perform a hard reset and take other desparate steps just to get my wi-fi to reconnect. 

It doesn’t seem like it should be so difficult.

Any update on the promised application for HuluPlus? You know, the one in the HuluPlus adevertisements several months ago? The main reason I bought this box?

Can anyone tell me if the stutter problem playing m2ts file over the network has been fixed with this release? I have absolutely no faith that WD has fixed this but I thought I would ask. I have basically given up on WD and this device. I am waiting for Dell or HP to come out with a slimline PC with the Sandy Bridge processor and I am dumping this WD piece of sh_t in the garbage. I usually sell my old electronic equipment after I replace them but in this case I would not do that to someone.

Awesome! The DTS passthrough and the resolution being forced are awesome fixes. Many, many thanks to the devs. Appreciate the hard work.

New firmware? Awesome. Despite a few complaints above (deserving or not), it is great to see that so many things were likely fixed. I really hope you guys continue to get funded to build new and better firmware for the Live, Live+ and Hub. Looking forward to using the new fw later.

@gwthor – yeah ok, but tell us how you really feel about it…. I rarely visit here, but have followed the Live and Live+ thread at AVS quite a bit. I can stream all my BD movies via Network Shares without any video or audio stutter. I have heard that it is sometimes a problem, but my point is that IT WORKS. If it does not work for you, please review your network and related components. My BD movies are 1:1 copies of BD .m2ts files and not lesser demanding mkv type files. Also, Media Servers (DLNA/UPNP) is more efficient and streams BD content with less problems. Try that if you have a DLNA server. Lastly, owners of this and other media players sometimes store BD content locally (ext HDD’s connected to the Live via USB), and chose not to stream it via network because of the demand and the inabilities of their network or media player. You can get a USB RAID-5 box that can store about 6 or 8TB of BD movies. There might be other higher capacity solutions also.

I’m generaly quite happy with my 2 units but I really hope that this firmware update will allow me to finally play .mp4 video. To date I’ll unable to get any sound from these files, regarles of their origin.

BTW, anybody else having this problem or is it just me?

Is this any different than the 1.04.22_B that was released last week?

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/WD-TV-Live-Plus-Limited-Public-Beta-Firmware-Version-1-04-22-B-3/td-p/145782

I already had that installed, but thought this might be new, so I did a forced install of it.  I don’t notice any change, though.

Netflix audio over the optical port is still broken.

Bugs for 1.04.22_B for WD TV Live Plus

Progress Info Bar stays on screen.

When playing DVD (iso), the progress info bar stays on the screen after pressing FF,REV,Skip Forward (next chapter), and Previous Chapter.  Progress bar removes itself properly for PAUSE and then PLAY.

Interestingly, PAUSE then PLAY used to fail to remove the progress bar and I had to press REV then PLAY to remove the progress bar.  Now PAUSE then PLAY removes it (after a couple of seconds) but REV then PLAY doesn’t remove it.

While on the topic of progress bar, can we see the Chapter as well?  Just Time+TimeLeft makes it difficult to resume.

Rick

irayte wrote:

I’m generaly quite happy with my 2 units but I really hope that this firmware update will allow me to finally play .mp4 video. To date I’ll unable to get any sound from these files, regarles of their origin.

BTW, anybody else having this problem or is it just me?

Haven’t gotten around to updating my Plus firmware yet but the latest Hub firmware fixes AC3 5.1 output for MP4 and M4V containers.  If it isn’t fixed yet for the Plus, I imagine it soon will be.  

Will update my Plus and report back.  ;)

-edit-

Ok, Plus is updated and looks like MP4/M4V output of AC3 is still downmixing to Stereo.  I do get sound though; not sure why you’re getting silence.

Netflix audio via Optical (and HDMI) is fine, no issues.  Just to clarify, I connect the Plus direct to the receiver

dave3 wrote:

Is this any different than the 1.04.22_B that was released last week?

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/WD-TV-Live-Plus-Limited-Public-Beta-Firmware-Version-1-04-22-B-3/td-p/145782

I already had that installed, but thought this might be new, so I did a forced install of it.  I don’t notice any change, though.

Netflix audio over the optical port is still broken.

I have never heard of “Netflix audio over the optical port is still broken”. I am positive that is untrue in my home with Live+ and fw 1.03.49. You should troubleshoot your setup. Netflix and optical out works fine.

:mansad: Took the auto update to 1.04.22 B last night and now I can no longer use my Seagate Free Agent 500Gb hd. I tried switching to a thumb drive and it reads just fine. Anyone else have this problem? I’d like to try an revert back to the previous firmware but have not figured out how to get the files and manually upload them. When I try to manually reinstall the 1.04.22 B files through the thumb drive it doesn’t let me and just tries to access the internet. Any help here is appreciated.

kahless69 wrote:

:mansad: Took the auto update to 1.04.22 B last night and now I can no longer use my Seagate Free Agent 500Gb hd. I tried switching to a thumb drive and it reads just fine. Anyone else have this problem? I’d like to try an revert back to the previous firmware but have not figured out how to get the files and manually upload them. When I try to manually reinstall the 1.04.22 B files through the thumb drive it doesn’t let me and just tries to access the internet. Any help here is appreciated.

Please review the first post of this thread and also go here for old firmware downloads →

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hd-media-player-or-wd-tv-live

Thanks for the reply and link!! :smileyvery-happy: I reverted back to the 1.04.18_B firmware and everything worked fine again. I decided to take a chance on the 1.04.22_B update again to see what would happen and luckliy it now accepted my Seagate HD. It makes me think that there may have been a glitch in the auto firmware update from last night.

USB Wireless working ok again ? …as it was reported broken in 1.04.17 …thanks :slight_smile:

Until now just only small thing WD still not support is Unicode… It’s wasting time and patient for this product.