New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.17_B for WD TV Live Plus (12/30/10)

Vob streaming is indeed fixed. I feel your pain!! I use an iPad too. Can’t wait for lithium mobile to be brought here!!

My vobs were still skipping…i didnt do a factory reset after the updates…i just went back to 1.03.29… I played around enough tonight.

Ps…they only skip when selecting the vobs themselves…i know how to skirt around the skipping by hitting play on the video folder, but i like my menus…especially when watching tv shows…this way i know im watching the right episode. When you hit play on the video folder you cant get into the menu…oh well…like i said tomorrow is another day …for tonght i shall bask in 90’s hockey hair

I just completed my upgrade thru USB hdd. Smooth, fast and automated . No problems. I am still not seeing resolution to USB hub issue though,

I just used the firmware update on the Plus and it downloaded fine and the machine restarted. Now I can’t connect to my wireless network at all - automatically or manually. Prior to the upgrade, networking was working flawlessly.

Since the upgrade I’ve tried a factory reset; I pushed in the reset button; I powered down and back on; I unplugged and pushed in and held the reset button while plugging the unit back in; and I tested the USB adapter (which works) and I still can’t connect to my network. I’m going to try a rollback right now.

Same problem,i just upgrade to 1.04.17_B and no wireless connection,can someone help me please,i have no clue what to do.

Hi KIRKY-C,

As much as I hate to say it, I’m glad I’m not the only one having the wireless problem. I thought I bricked my unit or that I had inadvertently done something to mess things up.

I’ve tried the rollback option to an older version of the firmware using my USB drive – check this link. Doing so lets me see that there are wireless networks to connect to, but the system been freezes intermittently, especially before it actually finishes the automatic wireless set up.

Now 

I’m going to try to use my USB drive to manually upgrade (from my forced downgrade) to the new firmware and see if I have the same problems with the wireless and freezes. I’ll let you know what happens.

Just to update, I downgraded to firmware ver. 1.03.49_B, which allowed me to access the settings for a wireless connection. Unfortunately, the unit would freeze each time I tried to set up a connection. I then manually upgraded, using a USB stick, to the newest firmware and ended up having the same looping problem as others have reported. I unplugged the unit and it restarted in warning mode - a black screen demanding, in many languages, that I put in a USB drive that contains the firmware for my device.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say this wasn’t a well tested upgrade. I’ve only had my machine since Wednesday and this particular situation isn’t really making me feel very confident about the future. I just want to enjoy my media and not have to play guinea pig and/or IT guy.

WELL IT 4:29 AM IN TAMPA FLORIDA,AND I JUST KINDA SORTA FIX IT,I ROLLED IT BACK TO 1.03.49_B,AND I GOT WIRELESS AGAIN WITH NO PROBLEM,IT DID FREEZE AFTER ENTERING MY SECURITY CODE,BUT IT WAS JUST FOR ABOUT 45 SEC.NOW THE FANCY DESKTOP THAT CAME WITH THE NEWER UPGRADES ARE GONE,I DON'T THINK IT WAS WELL TESTED AT ALL,I OWN 5 OF THESE WD BOXES,I CANT KEEP GOING THROUGH THIS FROM OTHER PEOPLES MISTAKE,GOOD NITE GUYS.

Sorry to see so many problems! I just saw the firmware upgrade window, thought better and told my wife to skip it until I can check it out! Glad I did! If all you guys are having this many problems out of the gate, I’ll be waiting until I see a string of GOOD reports before upgrading!

You really have to wonder how this firmware is organized, i mean if you read the update notes:

Release 1.04.17 (12/30/10)
Resolved USB keyboard response time.
Resolved crashing when hot plugging USB keyboard.
Resolved artifact lines or screen flicker while in Preview mode.
Resolved slow exiting from Flingo app.
Resolved inability to add Deezer playlist.
Resolved Facebook not providing upload option.
Resolved several minor user interface issues within Facebook, Deezer, Mediafly and YouTube.

There is nothing said about codecs or wireless being touched (unless the firmware team did without mentioning

it), yet  many probelms around this have cropped up …

I also made the mistake of updating the firmware today and now have noway of making a wireless internet connection :angry:

I’m curious to know if anyone has updated and can actually get a wireless connection ( although that’s not gonna help those of us who’s only choice is to  do a roll back )

Going to try doing a roll back and hope I don’t run into any of the problems mentioned here by other users.

I fixed the looping problem. Rolling back to 1.03.49 got it going again. I then used the internet update (in steps) and found out that 1.04.17_B still screws up MKV’s over a wired network share. Looks like it’s rollback time AGAIN.

By the way, my new Patriot Box Office HD feels alot like the old brite-view CinemaTube I had a couple years ago. They must share the same chipset.

Well the rollback to 1.03.49_b worked but I lost all the new Media services such as Pandora.

Does anyone have a link to the Firmware version prior to  1.04.17_B    ?

I updated the firmware to 1.04.17b against my intution today and landed up in a mess, My DLINK DWA 131 wireless adapter no longer connects to the internet, It was working well on the last release 1.04.10b, No issues with mkv, vob files. Just when i was about to provide great review on amazon this happened. Customer service was of little help, I have asked them to mail be the firmware zip file for the last release. They said they will check with the developer.

rgskr wrote:

I updated the firmware to 1.04.17b against my intution today and landed up in a mess, My DLINK DWA 131 wireless adapter no longer connects to the internet, It was working well on the last release 1.04.10b, No issues with mkv, vob files. Just when i was about to provide great review on amazon this happened. Customer service was of little help, I have asked them to mail be the firmware zip file for the last release. They said they will check with the developer.

Try this page for rollback

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800

I assume that you have:

reset via the side paperclip button with the unit on (1 sec press)

reset to factory defaults via the internal menu

unplugged the unit from power for some minutes

do all 3 before using the unit.

Its recommened that you do the above after you update the firmware particularly if you have problems.

Yes, I tried all options and same result, The links take me to a much older version of the firmware, I am not sure what other problems that can lead to especially after reading some of the other posts and not sure what other bugs that version has, I know 1.04.10b works and i need that version.

If someone can post the link for 1.04.10b that would be great.

All is not Lost

I tested Wired connection and it i was able to obtain the connection, IWill it work with  Netgear HomePlugs( 200mbps Line) which transmits Internet over Power Line and can convert any electical outlet into an ethernet LAN Port , If it would then i can return the Wireless USB adapter. Problem solved.

My MKVS and AVIS play fine , maybe since you have 4 of them they are all trying to use the same network share or something . I have a live plus and a live hub and I seperated the shares to my roomate so that we arent using the same hard drive at the same time . I also upgraded my router to a 300 MBPS one from Dlink that helped tremendously. I also had an old hub , not a switch and changed that to a switch. I used to use media servers but they had problems within themselves and those were eliminated by network sharing or using twonky server.

On a side note this firmware seemed to fix the network share issue , they used to dissapear on me and or say invalid pass when there isnt one on my Windows 7 server.

“If someone can post the link for 1.04.10b that would be great.”

I second this request… anyone have a link for this Firmware version ???

Firmware 1.04.10_B

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvliveplus_1.04.10_B.zip

You will need to edit the .ver file to something greater than 1.04.17 to fool the WDTV into accepting a downgrade.