New Release - Firmware Version 1.02.04 for My Book World Edition I & II (8/16/10)

I wish they would separate Twonky from the the firmware–looks like Twonky already has a version 6 out–would like to be able to update that to the latest and greatest without having to wait a year for a new firmware upgrade!  As for MKV files, I don’t recall these ever showing up/working when I accessed my WD drive via the PS3–same with .tp files (needed to rename them to .ts)

Twonky 4.4.6 (which came originally when the device was purchased) had no issues displaying all MKV file content.  Now the only files that appear are WMV and MP4 files.

I just tried my server, I can also see .ts, .avi, .mpg, .vob, (mkv doesn’t appear), but I did need to force a rebuild for the files I just copied to get seen, so the auto-update of the directory contents may be a bit slower in this release.

Quick correction:

I only have MKV files WMV Files and MP4 files on my drive.  The MKV do not show even after a re-scan, and a reboot.

Perfect! 1.02.04

Thank you WD for a great support!

After 9 month you release a new firmware with new BUGs!

It is only a question of time when the users loose their personal data with upgrade new buggy firmware.

Unbelievable, WD you should refund us money for those problems!

Sorry, everyone.  In an effort, to fix a couple of issues, this thread got reorganized.  Also, if any of you experience issues with the forum, after having done the most recent Java update, please post it in Forum Feedback - with pictures of any errors, also, if you can.

cheytac01 is a WD Staff member.  He’s trying to help, but there’s a process involved, so you need to do what he’s asking.  Once we make sure that you actually have the firmware update installed, then we can address other things.

Bill_S

Just got MBWE II on the network today. Can’t update the firmware. When I click the automatic update button it spins and says “connection refused” and then locks my cursor. Device is on the network, all the proper DNS settings are in place, it has an ip address.

Firmware is 1.01.18

thx for letting me know the new f/w not only disappoints with updates…but also sux. i wont be upgrading.

Wish I hadn’t upgraded to 1.02.04 …

I can no longer see the drive at all. Even at the router level in the “attached devices” table where I can see all of the MAC’s as well as the IP’s. I’ve reset the MyBookWorld (1 - white light) device using both methods offered by WD (the 4 second version and the 2 minute version). This should have reset the ip/dhcp/password etc.  I’ve also reset the router. I’ve removed the static assignment for this device on the router and reset again.

Nothing … although the drive itself appears to be spinning and the white light is on (not flashing or anything).

Pretty annoyed with this to be honest - it’s already cost me a number of hours messing with it today…

If anyone has any recommendations, I’d be really glad to hear them :slight_smile:

Best,

Gary.

I have that firmware version, and it gives me “connection refused” when I try to update. Can we manually update the firmware on this thing?

Go to your (advanced) setup and put in a Gateway and DNS number (same as your router) e.g. 192.168.0.1 or whatever to both fields and it should work with automatic. It’s because you’re using a static IP (I went through this when trying to upgrade this morning).

At least, it will work until the upgrade finishes after which you may not see your drive again (as happened to me today)…

Still hoping for a fantastically simple and wonderful solution to my problem - anyone?

Gary.

1 Like

thanks for the tip. Does anyone else have issues when trying to join it to a domain? It gives me an ADS failure message.

I have now managed to upgrad the firmware, and access the Twonky web interface (not via the mybook interface, it just said “page cannot be opened”), to be able to stream .mkv files to my Samsung 46c6005. But as someone else here says,

now the .mkv files dont appear at all. Some update huh… Also tried to rename files to .avi or .mp4 but it did not solve anything. WD should do something about this immediately, this is just not good enough. We need a newer version of Twonky now!

1 Like

Tried setting the device to DHCP mode, and still no go on the update. I’m beginning to wonder if they’ve pulled it since it doesn’t work?

I trying to use this device as a Backup Storage solution for my Windows 2008 Domain. I wanted this firmware update, because it says it is compatible with 2008 Server.

I’m not sure why they waited 9 months to give us an update only to give us an old, unsupported version of Twonky.

Looking at the Twonky forum, I see that every release prior to 6.0.1 is listed as Unsupported.  If you are going to give us an upgrade–give us the latest version–not something that is still really old and unsupported!

http://twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7653

Actually, looks like 6.0.1 is technically still beta.  Looking at the forum, looks like people had mkv files in 5.1.3-dev but beyond that on 5.1.x this went away–so I don’t think upgrading to the 5.1.6 on the Twonky release pages would help that issue.  May need to go with the 6.0.1.  Again, this is why I would prefer the ability to upgrade twonky on it’s own and not via a firmware upgrade.,  This would allow users to try the latest and greatest twonky to see if it fixes issues they are seeing, and not wait on WD to release a new firmware.

Just purchased the MyBook World II (2TB) drive, and I too can not update the firmware. I click the button for the automatic update, and I get an error stating “connection refused”. Firmware on the device is 1.0.1.18

After installing the new firmware… the CTORRENT IS DEAD!! none of torrent can be downloaded it is stack to status qued Please Advice!!!

But what i see is 10-20 people talking about problems and none from the WD support help us …? what is this place here? group therapy? where is the support!!

The Advice is very simple:

1. you can downgrade your firmware - not simple

2. you can complain to WD support - mission impossible

3. you can buy a new NAS - easiest way

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index.php?option=com_nas&Itemid=&chart=87

1. or you can start drinking and join the group of WD Alcoholics Anonymous :slight_smile:

Using WD products is more complicated than drive a Space ship!

Thank you WD for a great support.

Who will cover all our time and costs which we spent on this device?

Who will pay for the problems and who will buy to us new NAS, because replace WD MBWE II for a new one is no solution!

Install was perfect no problems there…

small bug in the web layout…

When click on MEDIA - Media server - it sends me to http://mbwe:80:9000/ instead of http://mbwe:9000/