New Release Firmware Release 04.04.02-105 (1/27/2016)

What are you hoping WD would/will do with those statistics and analysis?

if people are experiencing performance issues after a certain threshold (e.g. uptime), the benchmarks in aggregate can help with the analysis or prove there is a problem. Yes, we would have to look at apples to apples, then oranges to oranges.

See my updated post.

What was wrong with your defective My Cloud 4TB?

I have similar performance issues after the update to v04.04.02-105, I didā€™n measure the performance before the update, but now itā€™s bad, backup of big directory with jpegs ran with the speed of about 14,7 MB/s, nice 2 photos/s :cry:.

My Cloud 2 TB, v04.04.02-105 performance

After the update it started the Content Scan, with the Error result after one day, I restarted the My Cloud, from the restart is the Content Scan in Idle state and on the Dashboard are in Capacity all zeros in Videos, Photos and Music Tracks fields. Status says "Scan complete. {0} photos processed.

@ZdenekH Can you re-run then select the mapped drive to your My Cloud. I see you have your C: drive selected. Thanks@

@chaoscreater - a few issues. USB backup and WD Sync were the trouble tickets. They could not resolve why WD Sync failed continually. Interesting your write performance was similar to mine before I shipped it back.

Sorry, I didnā€™t notice, what appeared in the screenshot. It was measured on the mapped drive, but I changed the language to English for the screenshot and in the same moment CrystalDiskMark changed the reported drive letter from W: to C:, the measured results are that for MyCloud on W:.

Did you get a replacement from WD directly or did you have to talk to the reseller that you purchased from, e.g. BestBuy or something?

Update:

Have tried to create a RMA and I go this stupid error:
An error was encountered during RMA creation.

Did some search and someone else had the same issue but was advised to contact WD Supportā€¦sigh.

Update:

Managed to create my RMA now. But looks like I need to ship to Vietnam according to here:
http://support.wdc.com/Warranty/rmaAddress.aspx

What a painā€¦

Goodā€¦ Those two links @chaoscreater shared is great from third party review sites. In terms of USB performance that would explain why it took days just to complete a safepoint backup. Almost 25% of the MyCloud and 11% of the USB drive connected locally.

I need to try that test this weekend. I bought a 4TB My Book just for backups with my old My Cloud single bay. I was not able to get a safepoint until September when My Cloud OS 3 was released.

Iā€™ve never had any Safepoint backups on firmware 105 and the old 607 firmware that it came with when I first bought it.

Actually, I did notice one weird issue yesterdayā€¦under the Shares section on my dashboard, I saw 3 copies of the same Share. For example, my SafePoint is created as ā€œWDSafePointā€, so it showed this:

WDSafePoint
WDSafePoint_2
WDSafePoint_3

Each of them showing 270GB in size (thatā€™s the total size of my WDMyCloud usage. I then checked the external HDD thinking it may have stored more than 270GB, but it hasnā€™t, and there were no duplicate share names on it either. So Iā€™m not sure why it showed that on my dashboard but it does create the Safepoint correctly.

But anyway, I posted those 2 review sites since their performance measurements is similar to what Iā€™ve got. Iā€™m not sure itā€™s defected but at the same time it doesnā€™t make sense either.

For some unknown reason. When the My Cloud reboots it creates a new share name by appending _# after the share name. Mine is up to _7 so far.
If you check the /etc/samba/overall_share file you will see each of those shares listed. Mine has _2 thru _7.

RAC

I stopped having that problem after I did a System Only factory restore from the Dashboard. Since then I donā€™t get the advancing numbered USB drive name when I attach the drive to the My Cloud USB port. Safepoints work and show up properly on that external drive now.

Thank you Bennor ! I got the older firmware working ! The only trouble I now have is after I map the drive to explorer it randomly loses the drive letter.

has WD updated the firmware again to correct the issue with safepoints ?

when i log into my cloud there is always a notification to update ā€“ i donā€™t want to do that if itā€™s going to load this version firmware, itā€™s been nagging ā€¦

You can check the release notes for firmware at the WD Support Firmware page.
http://supportdownloads.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en

And no there hasnā€™t been a new firmware to correct the issues introduced with the current 04.04.02-105 (1/27/2016) firmware.

Thank you very much. You saved me hours of frustration & effort to rebuild my safepoint.