New Release Firmware Release 04.04.02-105 (1/27/2016)

@ Morden2004

The name of the Safepoint (.04_02_02_105) was that generated by you or the My Cloud? I know when I lost my safepoint there is no way to force a search for any previous named safepoint and you are forced to create a new one … that $ucks, to be totally honest. I am really starting to doubt if I should update my firmware. I have had many issues with both My Clouds, but every firmware update seems to be a “Try at your own Risk” approach.

@ Bennor

One would assume that the size of the USB drive wouldn’t matter. I certainly can understand the format of the drive would matter … but not the size, especially 1TB. I was really hoping that OS3 would solve a lot of issues.

I selected the name and it was created my the Cloud in Safepoints. The Safepoint did not show up and when I tried to create a new Safepoint ([+]) using the old name, it failed.

It’s a Seagate 1TB external and it’s worked fine as a Safepoint drive for more than a year.

In my case the two drives worked prior to the OS3 firmware. Post OS3 firmware both drives won’t mount properly. We’ve had prior threads discussing this particular issue of certain external USB drives not being properly mounted or accessed by OS3 firmware. I’ve sent logs off to WD support but no word on any possible solution since then (been several months).

One would assume after several months, that this firmware update would have solved/addressed the issue with USB drives. There has always been an issue with WD Support making the customer feel unimportant by not responding when they asked for the information. I’m sorry to hear this Bennor. This kind of behavior, on WD’s part, is really unacceptable.

I’ve noticed on the new firmware that several processes of wdAutoMountAdm.pm are running. One has a parameter of shutdownCleanup The others have a parameter of getDrives. The processes are waiting on a lock owned by the shutdownCleanup process. The cleanup process is waiting to open a pipe.
This is not happening on previous firmware. It would appear on the new firmware that when you
open the dashboard a parent and child process with parameter getDrives is created.

RAC

SectorGZ, there is (I’m sure) a long list of items WD has to fix and that list gets longer each time they release a new firmware version that fixes some previous issues but introduces even more issues to fix. One can see many of those fixes or request to be fixed in the Cloud Ideas subforum. There are potentially many more issues that should be more important for WD to fix, like remote drive mapping (that was removed when the WD2Go.com site was revamed and rebranded MyCloud.com) and fixing the Safepoint problems that many appear to be having. My USB issue doesn’t appear to be wide spread as such its probably way down the list of things they are working on.

I had a safepoint schedule set up, but after the latest firmware update it has disappeared.
It’s by no means the only problem I have.
I think I am one of those Mycloud owners who wants to throw the thing out the window and buy something professional that actually works as it says it will.

I have a MyBook attached on the USB drive. Since the upgrade, every time something happens the name of the device changes, and the old names are still listed. So, now I have My_Book, My_Book_2 and My_Book_3. The last being the active drive. I can’t see how to remove the previous and now unused ones or rename it.

I’m seeing something similar with the attached Passport Ultra. A new share keeps getting created with a sequential number. Haven’t determined what initiates the duplicate share. I was however able to delete the duplicates and rename the remaining share.

I wonder if this has anything to do with people reporting that safepoints are disappearing.

Hi Royce, can you advise how to do that? I would be very grateful.

The same here, installed & rebooted very smoothly within 10 mins yesterday - and works without issues since then.

Do you use “Safepoints”? If you do have your previous safepoints disappeared?

i was afraid there might be issues with upgrading the firmware.

i have a safepoint that updates fine now, won’t be upgrading to this new firmware. no need to upgrade firmware when the drive operates fine now. i would hate to redo a 2.5TB safepoint backup.

didn’t WD test this update before releasing it ?

I think they need to issue a fix for this …

I have two different safe points - one is done manually every 14 days to an attached MyBookLive 2TB drive. The other is a USB 3.0 connected drive. The MBL backup was detected and worked just fine for its 2-wk backup. However the USB drive backup was not recognized. So I reformatted the drive and created a new safe point and every thing is good now, including the scheduled backup.

But as noted in a post I made for the MBL you have to delete pointers from the old safe point. In ssh:

• go to /DataVolume/cache/WDPROT/WDSAFE/safepts and remove the old .info file for that previous safe point
  • also check to be sure there’s no established mount point (type mount and look at the results).

Safepoint create failed for me. Received this in the email:
Event description:2 - There was an error creating your safepoint Main on the Passport_Ultra share on WDMyCloud.
Severity:warning
Event code:1100

So far I haven’t been able to create a safepoint under any FW version.

What exactly is your external drive? Size, manufacturer, etc.

Paul

No, I don’t use Safepoints.

I found a problem. When I set the access for the drive attached via USB to Full Access for one user, all users get full access. Then even if I set it to No Access, everyone still has full access.

Initially before I did a Quick Restore, everyone had access to all shares.

This needs to be fixed urgently. I’m without a cloud now, because I don’t want everyone accessing everything, especially the Safepoint which is on the drive connected via the USB.

I had that as well. Try setting it to No Access for all users, and see if users can still access it.

Me to